talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ravanelli - I'd Score 60 A Season Nowadays, Defenders Are Shite

football forum

Sometimes I feel it's easy to say that defenders are shite nowadays because we don't think we'll remember the likes of Godin, Van Dijk and prime Bonucci. Football has become all about profile, something I have harped on about for ages. Defenders no longer win Ballon D'or and it's not because defending is bad, or even that attacking is too good. Bonucci for me was the best player in 2017 with only Ronaldo being able to make a case and he didn't even get in the top 3.

I feel we have some really good defenders these days. Sure it's not up to par with the invidualities of the past, but there are some really good players now that we'll remember once their careers are done. Not only that but I feel the best defenders are under-the-radar. Everyone talks about Thiago Silva, Raphael Varane and Jerome Boateng, all 3 which are overrated to me. Diego Godin, Virgil Van Dijk and I'd even rank Pepe up there as the best CB's for me. With Godin and Pepe I'll remember them well as they are some of the best I've seen. Van Dijk if he keeps this up for 2 or 3 more years, or wins a major trophy at Liverpool he will also be ranked among there.

Not to mention, tactics have evolved so much and this makes objectively average defenders look so much better than some of the players from the past. Covers, defensive midfield support, etc. These things are so important to the discussion as it really tells you that some of these players may not have the biggest talent, but have the intelligence and tactical discipline to be considered the best.

And that's not even touching the fullback situation!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Athletes, in any sport, love to downplay how good a modern generation is and talk about their generation was so much better. Honestly, I've no idea what they get out of things like this. Strikes of jealousy more than anything else.

I'm surprised he never mentioned Shearer. He would bag an absolute hatful. Very few world class defenders in our league he would probably score more but I ain't sure he would score 50. 40 to 45 would have been more realistic. I like watching Atletico as with them you still get proper defending Godin is superb to watch Oblak a too keeper as well. 

Archived