talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Allardyce to Return to the Premier League with Leeds

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stan said:

@Lucas too little too late? Or worth a shot?! 

From Bielsa to Big Sam, the Leeds United story in 14 months. This club will never, ever cease to amaze me xD

Big Sam is literally the last person you turn to when you are out of options and incredibly desperate, but that is exactly what we are. Desperate.

The club hit rock bottom Sunday, they are completely shot to pieces. Radrizzani publically admitted he's ballsed it all up by answering a DM that was made public.

After intense pressure the last 24 hours, Victor Orta, sporting director, has been sacked. That's the best news. That man has made poor decision after poor decision and he's finally sent packing.

Gracia was a bit of a sitting duck. It's not his fault we are there but equally, he's not got it in him to get us out of the mess. The players don't respond to him.

We know we're down and they can talk all the bollocks you want but we are not getting out of it with those fixtures left. I've said all year about the fixtures at the end and needing to be safe by then and I've been proved right.

Can Big Sam do any worse? Probably not. I don't see how he can possibly turn it around in 3 games (City is a write off) but they are panicking and want to throw one last shot.

I don't see how we are going to be able to suddenly change philosophy that these players have been used to but who knows, maybe they magic two wins out their arse from Newcastle, West Ham and Spurs. I guess a win and two draws even leaves Everton needing two wins.

Personally, I'm so disappointed we've not learnt from last year and it makes me angry to think we gave up on the one bloke that cracked it here so easily. It still infuriates me and always will.

Victor Orta sacked as he takes Leeds on a trajectory from Bielsa to Allardyce, magnifique. Watching this unfold this season is a much better experience than what relegating him last season would have been

7 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Any club that changes manager twice in a season deserves to get relegated I'm afraid.

Yeah I agree with that. That's one of those "sack the board" situations - you just can't trust their judgment. Either they're tacitly admitting they've hired the wrong man for the season... twice. Or they don't really know what they're doing and are just desperately rolling dice.

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Any club that changes manager twice in a season deserves to get relegated I'm afraid.

Remarkably there aren't enough slots for that to even be the case this season, as Leeds would be the fourth side to do it. It's just simply remarkable what's going on this season. Just sit back and think about this, the record number of sackings beaten handsomely, four teams are on their third manager, nearly 10% of games have gone over 6.5 goals. The all-time record for a goalscorer fell with 6 games to go. It's just been silly. I wish we weren't so shit so I could enjoy it.

• Subscriber

Another point is that no team has ever sacked a manager while in the relegation zone as late as April in the Premier League and gone on to survive and there've been 12 instances of this happening before. This time two different teams (Leeds and Leicester) have done it. So either both must fall or the record does.

I think the record might survive.

• Subscriber
21 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

Who hasn't this bloke managed?

xD

Man United one day I reckon :eek:

Managerial career
1991–1992 Limerick (player-manager)
1992 Preston North End (caretaker manager)
1994–1996 Blackpool
1997–1999 Notts County
1999–2007 Bolton Wanderers
2007–2008 Newcastle United
2008–2010 Blackburn Rovers
2011–2015 West Ham United
2015–2016 Sunderland
2016 England
2016–2017 Crystal Palace
2017–2018 Everton
2020–2021 West Bromwich Albion
2023- Leeds United

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He says he's up there with Pep and Klopp xD

Just watched that interview, I don't think he looked well myself. Thankfully it's only four games he has to go through the stresses.

I mean what can anyone do in a four game period. Its an absolute punt by Leeds, football is a mess nowadays.

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He says he's up there with Pep and Klopp xD

You see, I don't mind that.

All people are talking about from what I've seen, what people have tagged me in on social media and sent on whatsapp, is this, the confidence he had and how odd it is.

And yet, that is exactly what he wants. Instantly, he's made it all about him and taken the pressure off of the players.

Of course it's not going to work v City, couldn't be a worse start for him, but psychologically he's a sly old dog and I expect these things from him.

6 minutes ago, Lucas said:

You see, I don't mind that.

All people are talking about from what I've seen, what people have tagged me in on social media and sent on whatsapp, is this, the confidence he had and how odd it is.

And yet, that is exactly what he wants. Instantly, he's made it all about him and taken the pressure off of the players.

Of course it's not going to work v City, couldn't be a worse start for him, but psychologically he's a sly old dog and I expect these things from him.

I think it just makes him sound delusional, like that time he said he's the sort of manager that should be managing Real Madrid and Barca. Or when he "outtacticked them" with parking the bus and hoofing it.

Outside of a footballing context: If I'm an employee and I see my boss making delusional and egotistical statements... it doesn't necessarily remove pressure from me and it doesn't really make me feel better about working for them. It can go both ways depending on the players' personalities.

And within a footballing context: you've got players that actually worked with a man that was a huge influence to both Pep and Klopp - the two best managers this league has seen since Wenger and that baconfaced twat that spent a few decades at United, imo. Fat Sam's approach isn't really some mystery to anyone who knows football (which I assume... includes football players). I think going from someone who can actually be mentioned in the same breath as the two managers he compared himself to, to the turgid shite that we know Fat Sam will serve up while he's said he's great... could absolutely rub some players the wrong way.

Allardyce may be trying to deflect attention to himself as well but he is genuinely this arrogant.

He stated that he'd be managing Real Madrid if his name was "Allardici" and has on various occasion gone to anyone who will actually listen to him anymore (basically, Keys and Gray) and bemoaned about how he's being "done down" by foreign managers and would be considered one of the greatest ever if it wasn't for "lucky" coaches getting jobs he should have because of their name.

Put this in any other walk of life and you'd think he was just a xenophobic twat ranting about "foreigners" to deflect from his own shortcomings.

His mates in the media will constantly lick his arse though and won't remind anyone that he took the last club he managed down with an absolute whimper despite getting far, far longer with them. 

I don't think he'll save Leeds and this season, they'd probably have had a better chance sticking with Marsch, although I don't think he was the long term answer. 

To be fair to Big Sam, he has been right at the forefront of using sports science and technology over the years. He’s not some absolute dinosaur out there. Yeah it didn’t work at West Brom, but look at the number of clean up jobs he has done. Got numerous sides to safety.

Do I think Pep & Klopp would be able to do that sort of job to the same affect? I’m not so sure they could, just like I don’t think Sam could win a league title, regardless of his last name. Pep has came out today and heaped praise on both Sam & Warnock, saying their records and experience speaks for itself. Which it does. The game has started to move in a different direction the last decade, and managers like these are going to be in the rear mirror very soon. But they’ve still got something to give, Warnock has just about got Huddersfield to safety and Roy has come in and completely changed Palace’s fortunes as well. 

I do think that this rant from him is purely a tactic to take focus off the players. They will be rock bottom, and after that video of them ignoring the fans came out this week they won’t have felt stress like what they are now. If he comes in and has people calling him delusional and a clown then that’s only a good thing for those players. They’ll see what he’s like in training, and they’ll see that he’s not just a ‘passion merchant’ like Lampard and OGS. It’ll be really interesting to see what happens against City. I had them down for a 4-0 loss, maybe it won’t be so bad. I still expect them to lose, but they may not get hammered. 

Archived