talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cultural or general traditions within your family?

football forum

Do you and the family have any traditions which you vigorously follow from your younger years or general ones which occur? We get together once on Sunday for breakfast/brunch, used to be Friday night in the 90s but as cousins got older and started going out more, going college/uni or working. The day has changed to Sunday morning.

Also another one which isn't really that common now in Asian culture as it once was. I remember as a child in the 80s and as a teen in the 90s. When we used to visit relations/friends or were sick at hospital or their house. There were 2 things you'd always take, one was fruit which I understand. The other was a bottle of the original fizzy Lucozade (see picture below). To this day I have no idea what the reason was for this.

Also in Asian culture with loads of Asians. With stomach ache they have a small glass of 7up. Apparently it works but I have no idea why.

Woman finds 26-year-old bottle of Lucozade in her childhood bedroom  wardrobe and DRINKS it | Daily Mail Online

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Also another one which isn't really that common now in Asian culture as it once was. I remember as a child in the 80s and as a teen in the 90s. When we used to visit relations/friends or were sick at hospital or their house. There were 2 things you'd always take, one was fruit which I understand. The other was a bottle of the original fizzy Lucozade (see picture below). To this day I have no idea what the reason was for this.

Also in Asian culture with loads of Asians. With stomach ache they have a small glass of 7up. Apparently it works but I have no idea why.

The Persian side of my family does the same thing with 7up... and it does work, it's weird I don't know why either. I think it's got something to do with the bubbles, which would also explain the fizzy lucozade stuff.

We used to have pizza every Thursday. I don't know why but that was a good family tradition.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The Persian side of my family does the same thing with 7up... and it does work, it's weird I don't know why either. I think it's got something to do with the bubbles, which would also explain the fizzy lucozade stuff.

We used to have pizza every Thursday. I don't know why but that was a good family tradition.

Oh Farsi.

I think Lucozade used to be specifically marketed as a drink that was especially good at re-hydrating you if were sick and losing a lot of fluid through vomiting/diarrhoea. 

That probnably wasn't really true (I am pretty sure that water is in almost all cases the best thing for re-hydration), but I would guess the sugar gives you a nice boost of energy and the fizziness can settle some upset stomachs a bit. 

• Subscriber

The wife is into all that rather than me with traditional things like every year on New Year's Day the 'First Footer' or the first person to walk into our flat has to have dark colored hair, blonde or light colored means bad luck or bring a lump of black cole in with you.

At Christmas time the wife will take the Christmas tree down after the new year, that's about all I can think of really.

Boxing day curry has become a family tradition for the last ten years. Its always my lot and whoever from the family fancies it.

We have several decent curry houses near us and we make a real night of it.

On 04/05/2023 at 20:34, Inverted said:

I think Lucozade used to be specifically marketed as a drink that was espeically good at re-hydrating you if were sick and losing a lot of fluid through vomiting/diarrhoea. 

That wasn't really true I would guess (I am pretty sure that water is in all cases pretty much the best thing for re-hydration), but I would guess the sugar gives you a nice boost of energy and the fizziness can settle some upset stomachs a bit. 

When I saw the original posts, the part in bold was my original thinking for that, especially for Lucozade. Admittedly I've never had that when I'll though.

For me, nothing particularly huge other than seeing my folks down Exeter at Easter and certain parts of Christmas every year.

• Subscriber

I would imagine the old 'Leave Santa his glass of milk and biscuit' on the table when you put your young kids to bed and tell them "We will see if he eats his treats when he arrives with your presents and leaves..."

That was an old tradition for me and the wife when our 2 kids were young up to 4 years old, I can remember once putting them to bed and once when they were asleep taking a bite out of the biscuit and a sip of the milk and we headed off to bed at after mid-night.

Lying in bed around 4 in the morning and hear our daughter whispering to her brother "Darren, I wonder if Santa has been yet?...." and hear her sneak down the stairs and suddenly yell out "HES BEEN, HE HAS EATEN HIS BISCUIT AND DRUNK HIS MILK!!!!".

That was the signal for me and the wife half asleep to drag ourselves back out of bed. xD

My grandmother used to give you Lucozade if you were ill too. Lucozade and grapes.

The orange Lucozade used to be a fantastic drink for certain situations until your typical type of tools started crying and they ended up taking out half of the ingredients, as we are starting to see with everything now.

Archived