talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Your history of going to the cinema?

football forum

Personally I've not been for years as there is so much to steam and prices and food are a joke. First movie I watched at cinema was The Mask, went with a couple of mates, my brother and both mothers also went along. With my mates it was Cool Runnings, both were released in 1994, I'd have been around 14/15 at the time. In 1996 me and my mates went to watch Heat at the cinema, after that it was very regular in my teen years. 

The last time I went was to watch Straight Outta Compton in 2015, so it's be round 8 years since I last went. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We all have cinema passes for Odeon, they are £15 each a month and you can go to as many movies as you like.

I usually go a few times a month so they pay for themselves and its always something to do on a boring evening. The last few months I've been about 8 times though, there has been so many good films out. 

Guardions of the galaxy 3 this week for me as well.

2 minutes ago, Devil said:

We all have cinema passes for Odeon, they are £15 each a month and you can go to as many movies as you like.

I usually go a few times a month so they pay for themselves and its always something to do on a boring evening. The last few months I've been about 8 times though, there has been so many good films out. 

Guardions of the galaxy 3 this week for me as well.

Now and then I see a movie advertised and feel like going. Happening recently with John Wick 4.

• Subscriber

Last time I went was for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, so in December 2019, right before the COVID shit.

Really miss it, have a few upcoming ones I intend to watch. Oppenheimer, Dune 2, Indiana Jones in particular.

23 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Now and then I see a movie advertised and feel like going. Happening recently with John Wick 4.

Obviously going so often we're exposed to the trailers more than you will be so we will know the movies we want to watch well in advance.

My daughter is studying film and TV at Uni as well so she loves the movies, I go a lot with her.

• Subscriber

Not much of a moviegoer myself, I think the cost and Netflix/YouTube, etc killed it off, but I know our son & daughter, and grandsons go quite often, I can count on one hand how many times me and the wife have been over the years if I remember right it was to see ET with our young son & daughter when it first came out, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Wild Geese.

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Not much of a moviegoer myself, I think the cost and Netflix/YouTube, etc killed it off, but I know our son & daughter, and grandsons go quite often, I can count on one hand how many times me and the wife have been over the years if I remember right it was to see ET with our young son & daughter when it first came out, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Wild Geese.

The cost luckily is not an issue here. A premium seat costs 3$, Gold Class is 8$ :D 

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, nudge said:

The cost luckily is not an issue here. A premium seat costs 3$, Gold Class is 8$ :D 

Cinema in our days was sitting there smoking, eating and watching the film, shows you how long ago that was, watching the film and watching all the cig fumes rising like a grey mist.

2 hours ago, nudge said:

They do standard and Premium seating here as well. 

I always just sit in them anyway as the cinemas are never really full unless it's a new Marvel film or a Saturday night. 

In Manchester town center there used to be an Odeon where we went quite often. Also now and then went to the cinema in Salford which is 2 minutes drive from Utds ground, being honest it was full of dicks.

Starting going Trafford Center late 90s and round 2008 started going to AMC in Deansgate.

24 minutes ago, MUFC said:

In Manchester town center there used to be an Odeon where we went quite often. Also now and then went to the cinema in Salford which is 2 minutes drive from Utds ground, being honest it was full of dicks.

Starting going Trafford Center late 90s and round 2008 started going to AMC in Deansgate.

The one at Salford Quays seemed gigantic when we were kids. 

Did you ever go to that American Diner called Starving Marvin's that was over the other side of road?

Got burnt out because the owner wouldn't pay for protection.

• Subscriber

I went to the cinema in my army camp in Germany in 74 when I was courting my wife and we saw Charles Bronson in Chatos Land, at the end of the film we all had to stand to attention when they played God Save The Queen and sing it out loud before we could leave.

1 hour ago, Devil said:

The one at Salford Quays seemed gigantic when we were kids. 

Did you ever go to that American Diner called Starving Marvin's that was over the other side of road?

Got burnt out because the owner wouldn't pay for protection.

Being honest I never ate round there. Remember going Salford cinema on national cinema day when the movie only cost a couple of quid. It was full of tension as so many nobs from all round Manchester turned up.

10 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Being honest I never ate round there. Remember going Salford cinema on national cinema day when the movie only cost a couple of quid. It was full of tension as so many nobs from all round Manchester turned up.

Haha! I was more than likely one of those nobs 🤣

My first movie was the little mermaid in the late 1980's. I went 2 or 3 times a year in my teens and twenties, but have slowed down since having kids, and tbh I don't often know what's actually out.

That said the last movie I saw was Mario a few weeks ago, and it was awesome. 

16 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I love the cinema but it is become to expensive to be feasible,  when you have to spend 100 bucks on  ticket and about 90 bucks for popcorn and drink its a 200 buck shot in the arm. 

Same price as a proper night out.

• Administrator

Feel like I used to go a lot as a kid, or at least a lot more than I do now. Guess the prices weren't so extortionate back then but last couple of years Vue have tickets for only £4.99. 

Think the first film I remember seeing was Mr Bean. My parents say I fell asleep halfway through though xD.

Honestly can't remember the first film I saw in the cinema, though remember seeing the likes of Super Mario Bros (yes, that god awful one), Lion King, the Power Rangers movie and a Tom and Jerry movie in the 90's.

Haven't been to the cinema too often recently, though me and a mate went roughly once a week at one point when he got divorced from his first marriage. Did that until he hooked up with his now second wife back in 2015.

Last film I saw was John Wick 4, with No Time to Die before that. Getting a tad pricey to watch a film now (think it was £8.80 for John Wick 4).

Can remember watching Gone Girl and hearing some dull bint constantly asking her roider boyfriend what was happening all the time though. He sounded dull as fuck as well.

Archived