talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ivan Toney - Chelsea, Arsenal

football forum

17 hours ago, Devil said:

100 million with a potential ban hanging over him.

Looks like he staying at Brentford.

He has 2 years left on his contract so I reckon the fee will be around £70m-£80m personally. The current precedent for a £100m striker is Lukaku who scored 30 odd goals in total for Inter. Then you’re looking at £100m+ for Grealish who has never scored more than 10 goals in a season.

Toney has 35 goals and 11 assists across 2 seasons in the Premier League, to put his assists into context this season our second top scorer has 6 goals. I think if he was on a 5 year deal we’re pushing 90-100 but I think we settle somewhere near 80m

• Administrator

What club is going to pay anything astronomical (not even £100m) with the potential for a long-term ban hanging over his head?

Might as well just buy him when his contract is nearer to expiring once his ban is done and dusted. 

18 hours ago, Stan said:

What club is going to pay anything astronomical (not even £100m) with the potential for a long-term ban hanging over his head?

Might as well just buy him when his contract is nearer to expiring once his ban is done and dusted. 

A lot of the ban should occur over the Summer. But someone who needs goals in the Prem.

Honestly I’m happy if he stays and we sell for £50m next Summer.

I do rate Toney but not only is that an insanely high fee, I don't know if any of the 'bigger' sides will play to his strengths quite like Brentford do and get the very max out of him.

He does so well because of how direct Brentford play, especially when they hit him quick with the counter. They are very well organised attacking set pieces too where he profits from pulling away from the areas they heavily flood the centre backs.

But for the bigger sides that have more of the ball, build up differently and aren't necessarily as focussed aerially on set pieces, does he have the same influence?

I guess it all depends what side fancies taking him on I suppose.

Wouldn't rule out Chelsea or a return to Newcastle maybe, but other than that, I'm struggling and then your looking at that next level below of club like Spurs/Villa where they'd probably pay £70m tops.

No one's going to do anything till this ban becomes clear anyway.

• Subscriber
20 hours ago, Dan said:

I like Toney a lot but I think you're going to be a little disappointed on the fee.

He’s a system striker at this level, I’m pretty convinced of it. Worth that fee to Brentford but nobody else. They’ve literally built a team around him and his strengths, the direct style wouldn’t work at a bigger team. 

That's a result for Brentford and Toney.

You do wonder if the FA have deliberately timed it to make it sound more dramatic. Seems a bit sussed its taken till now from the original charge in November.

There's no Football anyway for the best part of 3 months of that ban so Toney at worst, will miss half a season, around 19-20 games. You'd take that given the amoubt of charges quoted.

It could have been far, far worse.

Edited by Lucas

I wonder if a team came in with say, a £60-70m bid in the summer, whether Brentford would be tempted now.

Ok, it's less than they'd like for sure, but it gives them a window to find a ready made replacement for the start of the season.

If they wait, I think there's a good chance Toney equally waits it out, he's got Brentford over a barrell come Summer '24 with a year left and I'm not sure a club that's run as well as they are would allow themselves to lose such value when they could maximise it this Summer.

Edited by Lucas

12 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I wonder if a team came in with say, a £60-70m bid in the summer, whether Brentford would be tempted now.

Ok, it's less than they'd like for sure, but it gives them a window to find a ready made replacement for the start of the season.

If they wait, I think there's a good chance Toney equally waits it out, he's got Brentford over a barrell come Summer '24 with a year left and I'm not sure a club that's run as well as they are would allow themselves to lose such value when they could maximise it this Summer.

I 100% think we'd sell for £70m regardless with only two years left on his deal.

I think Ivan is still underrated and does a lot more than just benefit from a direct style of football. If he goes to a club that can continually create chances through possession on the wings he will bang goals in for fun. Not to mention the chances he will create dropping deep, the flexibility he will give to a teams style of play and also his outrageous defensive output.

6 hours ago, Lucas said:

Of course they would, £100m is a “fuck off” price to deter people from bidding but for £60-70m they could make one or two signings that would improve them a lot on paper.

• The title was changed to Ivan Toney - Chelsea Looking to Sign Striker
  • The title was changed to Ivan Toney - Chelsea, Arsenal