talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Southampton Relegated to the Championship

football forum

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they'll be well equipped in The Championship. Maybe even more so than the likes of Leicester City who will need to orchestrate a careful upheaval. Che Adams and Adam Arsmtrong will score goals at this level and they could potentially keep Nathan Tella whose been excellent for Burnley. The players I think they'll lose that will be a loss are JWP, Lavia and Alacaraz. The likes of Gavin Bazunu, whose got a lot of potential but isn't Premier League ready, could come in leaps and bounds next season.

I'd be surprised if they're not competing for the top two next season as long as they don't make a dud managerial appointment.

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Danny said:

This is probably the genuinely worst side to go down with so much talent on the books

13 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Newcastle 08/09, Middlesbrough 96/97 and West Ham 02/03 immediately spring to mind as more talented.

Leicester 2022/23 called! 

10 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Newcastle 08/09, Middlesbrough 96/97 and West Ham 02/03 immediately spring to mind as more talented.

Yeah but two of those teams finished 18th and were relegated on the last day whereas Southampton have been flushed first and earlier, that they’re worse than those sides with similar levels of quality in the team

• Subscriber

I don't think it's entirely dissimilar to Norwich in 2019/20 where they showed a couple of signs of getting out of it but have fallen badly flat towards the end and are looking set to post a dismal tally, very likely to finish on 24 which is horrendous. The similarity to Norwich in 2020 is that half of their team is going to end up linked away.

• Subscriber

Don't buy this one at all I'm afraid. Ward-Prowse will get a move but those Southampton players are horrific. If they were any good they wouldn't have finished so comfortably behind some truly awful rivals in Leeds, Leicester, Everton and Forest. They wouldn't be playing Theo Walcott almost every week either.

I dunno, I think there are maybe 5 or six decent players there. You’d definitely expect  Ward-Prowse, Bella Kotchap, Salisu, Walker Peters & Livramento to be playing elsewhere next season. I’d absolutely snatch your hand off for Lavia, but I think City will probably exercise their buy back on him. 

• Subscriber

Sad times for the Saints, I can remember when they moved from The Dell into the new St. Mary's stadium and were hoping for good times ahead but they got relegated in 2004/5 but got back into the EPL in 2011/12 so it's been a good run, I hope they bounce back but I think it will be a rough ride for them in the Championship.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Danny said:

Will be interesting to see Orsic in the Championship, they have a lot of quality they just need to find a way to use it

He's made plans to leave already. 

• Subscriber

They didn't look like a Premier League team when Grimsby played them in the cup. Struggled to get themselves going and didn't seem to be gelling that much as a team. 

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Don't buy this one at all I'm afraid. Ward-Prowse will get a move but those Southampton players are horrific. If they were any good they wouldn't have finished so comfortably behind some truly awful rivals in Leeds, Leicester, Everton and Forest. They wouldn't be playing Theo Walcott almost every week either.

I thought similarly of Norwich yet as soon as they dropped half of their side (Aarons, Lewis, Buendia, Cantwell, somebody else who I forget, possibly Pukki) were being linked to big teams. That said hardly any materialised. Only Buendia and Lewis are even at PL sides and even then neither joined sides they expected to be better than midtable at the time of joining.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Dan said:

I thought similarly of Norwich yet as soon as they dropped half of their side (Aarons, Lewis, Buendia, Cantwell, somebody else who I forget, possibly Pukki) were being linked to big teams. That said hardly any materialised. Only Buendia and Lewis are even at PL sides and even then neither joined sides they expected to be better than midtable at the time of joining.

Ben Godfrey you're probably thinking of.

On 14/05/2023 at 11:00, The Palace Fan said:

I think they'll be well equipped in The Championship. Maybe even more so than the likes of Leicester City who will need to orchestrate a careful upheaval. Che Adams and Adam Arsmtrong will score goals at this level and they could potentially keep Nathan Tella whose been excellent for Burnley. The players I think they'll lose that will be a loss are JWP, Lavia and Alacaraz. The likes of Gavin Bazunu, whose got a lot of potential but isn't Premier League ready, could come in leaps and bounds next season.

I'd be surprised if they're not competing for the top two next season as long as they don't make a dud managerial appointment.

Worth also noting they have players like James Bree, who was solid for Luton, that has hardly featured since moving, likely ready to start.

Joe Aribo and Sam Odozie will be decent at that level too.

• Subscriber

It was Ben Godfrey, correct.

That side shouldn't have gotten that few points. Not saying they were world beaters but they got something like 21 points. It was pathetic.

To then come back up and basically repeat the trick.

---

On Southampton it sounds like they're appointing Russell Martin. Was linked to us and I'm glad he's going there and not here based on mainly anecdotes admittedly about Swansea. They seem to be an even more extreme version of us under Rodgers - tonnes of possession yet lack penetration and can't defend for shit. Not my cup of tea at all. He seems to be one of these managers rated for style over substance. Not for me. But will be intrigued to see how he gets on with a better squad.

I don't really rate Russel Martin. His teams concede a lot of goals and he's so set on a certain style he rarely opts for a plan B.

It sounds like he's jumping off a sinking ship at Swansea. More cut backs this summer, Manning leaving on a free and a battle to keep Piroe. They could be in for a long season.

• Subscriber
On 15/05/2023 at 07:16, RandoEFC said:

Agreed. Some of these so called great players are way overrated, Ankersen has a role to play for some of his shocking decisions.

Then to add to that in recent memory:

Panic buying in January on people such as

Sulemana for 20 million - flop. 
Orsic a 30 year old for 10 million - flop.

Not sure why everyone keeps banging the same bandwagon drum of them being so good with great players. They’re shite and deserve to go down. They will struggle to make the playoffs next season. 

A problem with some of the signings in January is they were bought to play the way Nathan Jones wanted with a target man upfront to feed off, which completely contradicted the pressing style preferred by the caretaker manager, which all completely contradicts the retaining possession style preferred by Russel Martin.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived