talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matic signs for Manchester United

He won't ease Herrera's work load at all, in fact he will do the opposite. Matic needs to anchor a three man midfield with the two players in front of him funneling the play towards him so he can break it up. Otherwise he is like a child trying to catch falling leaves, unable to predict the wind.

The man is an anvil, unmovable and unbreakable. Use him correctly and he'll be fantastic but he has only one purpose and one function. An anvil can only bend steel, it cannot blow glass or thatch wood.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He used to do the work of two man in our midfield. In a two man midfield you usually have a creative player and then a work horse like Matic. He did all the defensive work and then some. Despite that, his attacking efforts were what distinguished him from any other defensive mid I can recall playing for Benfica or in the Portuguese league for that matter.

The Portuguese league was too easy for him, it was ridiculous to watch, but some of his best performances were European, including the EL final against Chelsea, which probably helped him get the transfer.

For Chelsea I followed him in flashes in his first season, which I thought was great. Easily the best in the world in his position at one point. Like @carefreeluke said, he seems to have dropped his intensity after some time, and following poor performances, his confidence went downhill.

Obviously a signing like this will lift his morale. If he gets to start week in week out, I believe he'll get going and we'll see some of the best Matic again.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

my oh my, first game and chelsea fans are realizing how much they miss matic, the guy who did all the dirty work and people gave the credit to kante. 40 mil might be a hell of a deal seeing how poor chelsea has played Versus BURNLEY!!!xD mourinho is a fucking genius. mourinho's second year with clubs are always successful and i expect the same this year. 

monaco and man utd took the W and chelsea the L BIGLY

You are quite literally a walking abortion with your continuing ignorance and hypocrisy. You'd think you'd change given the amount of shite you spewed backfiring but I guess not. 

Morata you cheeky twat 

Kante the only midfielder available against Spurs now and I genuinely can't see us getting anything out of it. Potentially 6 points behind already. 

All summer. All fucking summer to sort this out and we are honestly in this situation. No words. 

• Subscriber
On 30/07/2017 at 9:59 PM, The Artful Dodger said:

Laughable, You praise anything 'United' ever do.

They've spent an absolute fortune once again, even if they become more competitive, the football will be as dour as before.

Only just seen this. I don't praise everything 'United' do at all?

Anyway... good start for Matic.

• Subscriber

Typical Sky Sports wankfest bandwagon here. Didn't hear a peep about Matic being any good last year because Kante was the flavour of the month/season. Five minutes after Mourinho gives a smug interview about getting Matic from Chelsea, suddenly he's now the best defensive midfielder since Makelele and Chelsea are mince meat without him. 

Yawn.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Typical Sky Sports wankfest bandwagon here. Didn't hear a peep about Matic being any good last year because Kante was the flavour of the month/season. Five minutes after Mourinho gives a smug interview about getting Matic from Chelsea, suddenly he's now the best defensive midfielder since Makelele and Chelsea are mince meat without him. 

Yawn.

United fans everywhere are jizzing over Matic. I wonder if they will still have the same reaction come next May? Or the following May?

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

United fans everywhere are jizzing over Matic. I wonder if they will still have the same reaction come next May? Or the following May?

It's not even just that. It does my head in that all these "pundits" are jumping on the Matic bandwagon because he's joined the Mourinho revolution at United, the pushing of which is in their top three main agendas at the moment alongside the "Chelsea in turmoil" narrative and the "Spurs to struggle at Wembley" saga which is currently a distant third but will come back to the fore next weekend. Okay, there's something in all of those situations that is worth discussing but Sky Sports absolutely embarrass themselves twisting things like Matic having one good game against West fucking Ham into headline worthy news because it suits two of those agendas. 

Sky's mainstream football coverage is an absolute embarrassment. The Debate has started well but I'm sure that'll become the same shit with them spouting sound bites that they're probably reading straight off top trending Twitter posts to appeal to the lowest common denominator mainstream football fan who can't form their own opinions so instead go off what these "experts" say. 

/rant.

Everyone massively overreacts in the first few games of the season. I remember last year Man City won 5 straight games whilst barely conceding and everyone had already crowned them champions. It takes a while for teams to settle and the picture will be ever changing in these first 2 months or so.

11 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Everyone massively overreacts in the first few games of the season. I remember last year Man City won 5 straight games whilst barely conceding and everyone had already crowned them champions. It takes a while for teams to settle and the picture will be ever changing in these first 2 months or so.

overreaction is part of sports I guess. You are only as good as your last game.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

It's not even just that. It does my head in that all these "pundits" are jumping on the Matic bandwagon because he's joined the Mourinho revolution at United, the pushing of which is in their top three main agendas at the moment alongside the "Chelsea in turmoil" narrative and the "Spurs to struggle at Wembley" saga which is currently a distant third but will come back to the fore next weekend. Okay, there's something in all of those situations that is worth discussing but Sky Sports absolutely embarrass themselves twisting things like Matic having one good game against West fucking Ham into headline worthy news because it suits two of those agendas. 

Sky's mainstream football coverage is an absolute embarrassment. The Debate has started well but I'm sure that'll become the same shit with them spouting sound bites that they're probably reading straight off top trending Twitter posts to appeal to the lowest common denominator mainstream football fan who can't form their own opinions so instead go off what these "experts" say. 

/rant.

Not nearly as bad as Neymar scoring and getting an assist against some french club 90% of the world's population hasn't heard of. 

They were wanking over Man United after the first game last season, barely even mentioned the other team (I can't remember who it was now).

Matic was good yes but he also started last season very well as well but then went completely sour for the remainder of the season after 2-3 months of good form. Question for Man United really is going to be his consistency. Of course Souness likes him Matic is over 6 foot and is physical and strong, that's all you need in Souness' eyes.

Souness on Modric:

He is a 5-a-side player. He can keep the ball. But can he win you the ball? No. Does he make those killer balls? No. Does he score goals? Certainly not.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Souness: "I played as a DM & Matic is arguably the best around at the moment. He was filling spaces & on the ball he is top-notch quality."

xD

People actually buy this. It's unbelievable!!

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

DKF_GvDW4AAX3dD.thumb.jpg.4e641cf286c1c227dcc8ca4a78bfc5e7.jpg

Past his best Cicero said xD

Meh.

Only 5 games in and have yet to face any club from the top 6. Let's see how he copes against teams that put pressure on him, (where us Chelsea fans criticise him the most). 

• 5 months later...

It's one of the most baffling parts of the season how the entirety of English punditry got itself into a wank frenzy over a player who essentially has had one really good season in English football.

He's been a clear level below Fernandinho. Not to mention the fact that when you look around Europe, anyone can see that Matic is not a special player. He's far from the top rank of European defensive mids like Busquets, Javi Martinez, Matuidi or Jorginho.

Just shows the power of the media, especially when large numbers of very gullible fans are particularly interested. 

Archived