talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

PL Gameweek 37 Fixtures - 20-25th May, 2023

Best move by Leicester, if they’d have tried to go toe to toe they’d have been ripped apart. 

Clean sheet has protected the goal difference and they have got a point to take it to the final day. Anti football it maybe, but most Leicester fans would have taken still in it on the final day before kick off. 

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

If Leicester get relegated, it won't be because of last night. It was a bit of a lose-lose situation for them. A draw doesn't help them that much because they still need Everton to stutter against Bournemouth but it does at least mean that, provided they win their game against West Ham, they don't also need Leeds to fail to win as well.

We're now in a position where we know if we beat Bournemouth at home in a game where they have nothing to play for, then we stay up. If you can't convert from there, you deserve to get relegated. The way this relegation battle has gone, I wouldn't be that surprised if we drew or lost that game and still got away with it because Leeds and Leicester hate winning football matches just as much as we do.

I do just about to expect us to get the win on Sunday but it won't be simple. As far as we know, we have all of our full backs injured, even Ben Godfrey who isn't even a full back but is our third choice right back and second choice left back, as well as Calvert-Lewin. It's not going to be a straightforward affair even though you probably couldn't pick many better fixtures than Bournemouth at home as your last must-win game. 

If we do convert our golden chance next weekend, Leicester fans can point to the massive delay in sacking Rodgers as the direct primary cause of their relegation. In the grand scheme of things, failing to beat Newcastle away isn't the problem. Just the fact that the fixture computer placed that one 37th on their list is why that's the point it was no longer "in their hands" (as laughable as I find it that any team sitting in and around the relegation zone can ever claim that football matches are "in their hands" because they're generally shite and won't win unless their opponents have an off day, by definition meaning that it isn't in their hands at all).

A very stressful night but in a good way.   I said last season will be a highlight due to the fight back, this season will top that as the team is very likeable, little to no star power.

would have love the Carabao but beggers can't be choosers and this season has come two years ahead of time.

Chelsea blah blah, spurs blah blah I'm not having any of that tripe, we didn't plan a season as if Chelsea and Spurs would turn into fruitcake teams, and frankly teams like Villa, Brighton and Brentford are better and we beat them.   Spurs capitulated in March otherwise they were 7 points ahead by March.

Anyways the salty waters are running.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

If Leicester get relegated, it won't be because of last night. It was a bit of a lose-lose situation for them. A draw doesn't help them that much because they still need Everton to stutter against Bournemouth but it does at least mean that, provided they win their game against West Ham, they don't also need Leeds to fail to win as well.

We're now in a position where we know if we beat Bournemouth at home in a game where they have nothing to play for, then we deserve to get relegated. The way this relegation battle has gone, I wouldn't be that surprised if we drew or lost that game and still got away with it because Leeds and Leicester hate winning football matches just as much as we do.

I do just about to expect us to get the win on Sunday but it won't be simple. As far as we know, we have all of our full backs injured, even Ben Godfrey who isn't even a full back but is our third choice right back and second choice left back, as well as Calvert-Lewin. It's not going to be a straightforward affair even though you probably couldn't pick many better fixtures than Bournemouth at home as your last must-win game. 

If we do convert our golden chance next weekend, Leicester fans can point to the massive delay in sacking Rodgers as the direct primary cause of their relegation. In the grand scheme of things, failing to beat Newcastle away isn't the problem. Just the fact that the fixture computer placed that one 37th on their list is why that's the point it was no longer "in their hands" (as laughable as I find it that any team sitting in and around the relegation zone can ever claim that football matches are "in their hands" because they're generally shite and won't win unless their opponents have an off day, by definition meaning that it isn't in their hands at all).

Exactly. 

So many other periods on and off the pitch where we could have had a 'sliding doors' moment and turned our fortunes around.

6-2 vs Spurs
5-2 vs Brighton
4-2 vs Arsenal

Losing to Southampton twice and Bournemouth twice. Surrendering points against Everton, Villa, Palace, Liverpool, Brentford.

Not sacking Rodgers at any point before the World Cup or even the latest international break, letting Rodgers have too much of a say in transfers. 

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

No one: ....

Absolutely no one: ....

OrangeKrush: YOURE ALL SALTY WERE IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!!

Baffling this, isn't it. Newcastle have been shite (like most of us) for 15 years. If that was my club I'd just be enjoying the long-awaited success but some people just feel the need to make it all about the imagined suffering their club is inflicting upon other people. I understand it from some fans of the Super League Six who have grown up knowing nothing but success, trophies, European football but when you've supported a team like Newcastle who have been down to the Championship and been a relative irrelevance for so long, I don't get it at all. You see a lot more of this from football fans nowadays, I think mainly because of the toxicity of social media.

I'd imagine a large proportion of the Newcastle fans will appreciate what they were and where they have come from to get to this point given the years of misery they had. Any Newcastle fan I know in my personal life or who I've met I can honestly say have never conveyed anything but humbleness.

That's probably because they will remember the humbling of that pre season friendly at Leyton Orient or getting dumped out the FA Cup at home to Cambridge along with the relegations and getting thumped at home to Sunderland like they only happened yesterday.

16 hours ago, Lucas said:

Watching Newcastle try and score was like watching a Spider trying to crawl out of a wet bath.

Yes it was anti football by Leicester and you don't like to see it rewarded but I thought Newcastle were lucky not to play 82mins with 10 men.

That's an absolute poor challenge by Bruno and you'd love to hear exactly the converstation between the VAR guys as to why that doesn't go further.

I'm convinced we'd get a Red if we did that challenge.

On another day we win that game 3 nil hit the post 3 times like Leicester were blessed although they could have nicked it. Bruno lucky not to be off it was the same as the Sabitzer one on Faes earlier in the season.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Lucas said:

I'd imagine a large proportion of the Newcastle fans will appreciate what they were and where they have come from to get to this point given the years of misery they had. Any Newcastle fan I know in my personal life or who I've met I can honestly say have never conveyed anything but humbleness.

That's probably because they will remember the humbling of that pre season friendly at Leyton Orient or getting dumped out the FA Cup at home to Cambridge along with the relegations and getting thumped at home to Sunderland like they only happened yesterday.

Yeah it's reflective of individual behaviour and not a fanbase. It's the behaviour of social media fans who have spent years being the butt of the "banter page" and "troll football" and Paddy Power Twitter account jokes and actually been bothered by them so have been waiting to respond in kind if their team actually isn't shit one day. The problem is that if you're a braggart or an arsehole when you're on top then you get it back again when your team decides to be shit again.

3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

No one: ....

Absolutely no one: ....

OrangeKrush: YOURE ALL SALTY WERE IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!!

there is a world off this forum of about 10 posters.   the salt is all over talk sport, club fan forums and it's precipitated by so called pundits.

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Baffling this, isn't it. Newcastle have been shite (like most of us) for 15 years. If that was my club I'd just be enjoying the long-awaited success but some people just feel the need to make it all about the imagined suffering their club is inflicting upon other people. I understand it from some fans of the Super League Six who have grown up knowing nothing but success, trophies, European football but when you've supported a team like Newcastle who have been down to the Championship and been a relative irrelevance for so long, I don't get it at all. You see a lot more of this from football fans nowadays, I think mainly because of the toxicity of social media.

I think the fact they are so happy with how Ashley ran things is why there were so many bitter fans and pundits.   First we get told how we need to stay in our lane, then a rampant October and November puts us in the top 4 and the message was, stay in your lane, you will fall down because Tottenham, Liverpool, Chelsea are to good to fail.  After the Caraboa it was we are going to suffer a cup hangover and fall down so accept 7th, then it became about money and all kinds of stupid arguments about how Chelsea, Liverpool etc fell off.

there has always been something that has been knitpicked, as either this problem or because that team didn't do this or that.    I have already said in numerous threads that this success has been more appreciated due to the way the club was run and we are not doing it anything like City or Chelsea had to do it, there is no limitless budget and everything is regulated.

Next season will be harder, I don't think Liverpool are far from being really good, I think Man U with or without the glazers will improve and Arsenal are going nowhere.  A top 5 finish would be a good season.  Making champions league so quickly way ahead of schedule but I don't think we have the spending muscle of the traditional big 5

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

On another day we win that game 3 nil hit the post 3 times like Leicester were blessed although they could have nicked it. Bruno lucky not to be off it was the same as the Sabitzer one on Faes earlier in the season.

we will need to get recruitment right as we are missing the quality in some areas to beat teams that are committed to 8 in the box siege tactics.

• Subscriber

If we go down if won't be because of last night I agree - there's a case that last night is our best result of the season. Our first clean sheet since before the World Cup, our only avoidance of defeat to anybody in the top 5 this season.

I'm just full of mixed feelings on that game. We've played the percentages in basically every department. But then I wonder how much of yesterday was on the players rather than the instructions. I watched it in a pub so I couldn't actually hear this but you could supposedly see and hear Smith encouraging them to go for it in the last 15 while they just tried to timewaste.

It's the kind of game we needed about 8 games ago. A confidence booster even if that confidence was on sheer outcome rather than process. It all feels a bit too little too late for me.

It's such a hard game to write about. I feel like you could write three sentences on the game that sound totally contradictory yet are all sort of true.

We were for me, harder to break down without actually being particularly solid (as they 100% should've scored), the goalkeeper was a bit of a mess despite keeping his first clean sheet for us, it's a good result in its own right but will look absolutely stupid if Everton do beat Bournemouth given there was such little inclination to attack. The lack of attacking, was that instruction or players lacking confidence?

It's just too little too late for me. They should've been trying to make us harder to break down weeks ago. Even though we were lucky to keep a clean sheet, we were at least tougher to play through the lines of, and two of their best chances were set pieces rather than open play.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Best move by Leicester, if they’d have tried to go toe to toe they’d have been ripped apart. 

Clean sheet has protected the goal difference and they have got a point to take it to the final day. Anti football it maybe, but most Leicester fans would have taken still in it on the final day before kick off. 

My criticism is less about going toe to toe, because I agree, do that and we could be 5-0 down by half time. Newcastle are overperforming somewhat and I think are sort of benefitting from not getting the respect of their opposition in the same way we were for a while in the year we won the league. This is where the limitations of players like Almiron for example are highlighted.

For me I'd have tried to pinch that goal a bit earlier. I do wonder if that was the plan and it just failed though given we did get Barnes and Daka on on the hour. As an attacking display it's as bad as anything you'll ever watch at this level. I suppose when there's so little outball and the ball is never staying up with our attackers, you are naturally going to concede more chances.

It's actually quite remarkable how often we gave the ball away around the half way line yet never conceded.

The flip side is what do you do against West Ham. For me I think you have to chance getting at them early, hopefully going 1-0 up and putting the pressure and nerves really onto Everton. Much easier said than done though. We've gone 1-0 up once in 2023.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

We're now in a position where we know if we beat Bournemouth at home in a game where they have nothing to play for, then we stay up. If you can't convert from there, you deserve to get relegated. The way this relegation battle has gone, I wouldn't be that surprised if we drew or lost that game and still got away with it because Leeds and Leicester hate winning football matches just as much as we do.

That's exactly what I think is going to happen.

41 minutes ago, Dan said:

My criticism is less about going toe to toe, because I agree, do that and we could be 5-0 down by half time. Newcastle are overperforming somewhat and I think are sort of benefitting from not getting the respect of their opposition in the same way we were for a while in the year we won the league. This is where the limitations of players like Almiron for example are highlighted.

For me I'd have tried to pinch that goal a bit earlier. I do wonder if that was the plan and it just failed though given we did get Barnes and Daka on on the hour. As an attacking display it's as bad as anything you'll ever watch at this level. I suppose when there's so little outball and the ball is never staying up with our attackers, you are naturally going to concede more chances.

It's actually quite remarkable how often we gave the ball away around the half way line yet never conceded.

The flip side is what do you do against West Ham. For me I think you have to chance getting at them early, hopefully going 1-0 up and putting the pressure and nerves really onto Everton. Much easier said than done though. We've gone 1-0 up once in 2023.

I would say that Almiron and ASM are players that are likely to be replaced by upgrades,  they may retain squad status but they are not good enough to take us up a level.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I would say that Almiron and ASM are players that are likely to be replaced by upgrades,  they may retain squad status but they are not good enough to take us up a level.

They're the sorts of players that would need to be upgraded upon to avoid instances like yesterday. I do think you were unlucky to not win, but then I think of the chances you created - the majority of them were from set pieces and that's despite us being completely abject between midfield and attack to the point it probably felt like a training session.

If that game had happened two months ago I'd be a lot more optimistic about things but I think weighing everything up, the draw isn't likely to be enough. But then on the flip side, virtually everybody thought we'd lose. I ridiculed the very idea we'd not lose.

Steele came out way too far there, gave himself no chance to recover. The centre back has to do better, should be clearing that off the line. Poor goal to give away because Brighton have looked more dangerous. 

Just now, Stan said:

Enciso is crazy good. 

These Brighton scouts don’t fuck around. Absolutely brilliant goal by a great little player. 

I love watching this team play. Absolutely fearless, with a brilliant work rate and the skill to match. Brighton fans in dream land with these lot. 

As great an achievement as it is for Brighton, you can't help but wonder how their squad copes with the Thursday/Sunday routine next season. 

So many clubs that get themselves into this position often struggle to juggle between those two competitions, especially with the travelling.

You'd definitely be hoping to catch a leffy Brighton on a Sunday next season.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived