talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

PES (and a bit of FIFA...)

football forum

• Subscriber
On 30/08/2017 at 7:03 PM, Cannabis said:

PES 2018 is a game changer, the game is incredible. All of my mates will still be playing FIFA this season so I'll more than likely get that to play with them and whatnot but I'm 99% certain that PES is going to be my game this year, it's so much better than anything I've seen before and is the closest to the ''golden era'' of 2004-06. The demo is out now worldwide for anyone that wants to try and and I really urge you to do so, this could be the year that changes things.

Those were the days. Them 3 games were so much fun. 

On 14/09/2017 at 5:43 PM, Cannabis said:

Got PES today, only gone and packed Cristiano Ronaldo xD. My front line at the moment is Ronaldo, Maradona and Bale (who's on loan) which I'm quite impressed with if I say so myself. I've got Usain Bolt on the bench but I'm unsure if I'll use him as it feels a bit weird having a track and field runner in a football game... nevertheless I've started the season well. My first and only game was cut short at half-time after I romped to a 6-0 lead, Ronaldo and Maradona bagging a brace each. 

It must be something to do with the licence but it's not half annoying how the transfers aren't up to date when the game comes out. I spin the wheel for a ''FC Barcelona Star'' and get Jeremy Mathieu ¬¬. Not to mention that the likes of Neymar, Lukaku and Dembele are all with Barcelona, Merseyside Blue and Borussia Dortmund respectively. 

What do you mean packed? Is that their version of Ultimate Team?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...
  • Subscriber

Konami have only themselves to blame here but from what I read UEFA still wants to work with them on other projects. EA on the other hand isn't a gaming company anymore, its a marketing giant and its pretty evident based on how much work they do behind the scenes of most big football tournaments while Konami is banking on the better football experience (I think they've got this pat down btw). Sadly that gets you nothing in this gaming climate because most gamers that play these games dont want a great simulator, they want a great simulator with real-life components too.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

I bought PES 2018 this year with the full intension of converting but it's a terrible game from top to bottom, rotten to the core with poor mechanics, transfers not updated (Neymar for example was still at Barcelona in November until they patched it) and just like Ultimate Team you need hard earned real money to challenge in Master League Online.

I don't think they've ever really updated their rosters since its inception to be fair and most of that has always been a community effort. I didn't think the mechanics were that terrible honestly but then again I haven't really touched a FIFA game in forever maybe there's something there I haven't seen. I did the classic ML as one other thing about them is that their online experience for playing against players has been dreadful. This stems to their other games too where the online experience has always been far from pleasant (this is looking at MGS and the update system). 

As I said before, EA is no longer just a gaming company and they've done the right things to capture a market that could easily have had some competition but its too late now. I just hope we don't see PES go away because I quite like it and while the NPC interactivity is poor its always been that way but I think their gameplay has never been terrible to the point where I have had to put my controller down and walk away from it.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

I don't think either games are that good. The immersion of Master League trumps any league mode on FIFA and aside from the aesthetics and licensing FIFA is a very poor football sim, everyone sprint up the pitch and tap the ball in the net. PES has terrible rubber banding AI, it makes the game really unbalanced. One oddity is that FIFA has lost the license for Juventus. So they won't be licensed in FIFA20 and are a PES exclusive. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Batard said:

I don't think either games are that good. The immersion of Master League trumps any league mode on FIFA and aside from the aesthetics and licensing FIFA is a very poor football sim, everyone sprint up the pitch and tap the ball in the net. PES has terrible rubber banding AI, it makes the game really unbalanced. One oddity is that FIFA has lost the license for Juventus. So they won't be licensed in FIFA20 and are a PES exclusive. 

Personally don't care much for the licensing if the game itself is good. I remember seeing AI issues in previous iteration which apparently have been fixed but I am yet to play the new version. The problem is that there isn't much innovation in terms of gameplay these days its just a rush for more realism which kills the game. ML is still one of my favourite modes though and it can be extremely challenging. 

• Subscriber

FIFA have a near monopoly on it and sadly the entire fuss is about Ultimate Team. I think I've hit the conclusion that once anything becomes massively popular it goes downhill.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

FIFA have a near monopoly on it and sadly the entire fuss is about Ultimate Team. I think I've hit the conclusion that once anything becomes massively popular it goes downhill.

True, they have no incentive to pull out the stops each year to improve as they know people will buy it come what may. Used to prefer PES way back when but was a reluctant convert to Fifa when the former lost its way about 2009 (for me anyway). That was good for a while then PES fell off the face of the earth, EA realised there's infinitely more money in Ultimate Team than traditional means so fucked everything off chasing that and we are left with what we have now. All Fifa seems to be these days is removing things as an 'improvement' then bringing them back a couple of years later - see cutscenes in-play and the old crosshair freekick system.

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, tlr said:

True, they have no incentive to pull out the stops each year to improve as they know people will buy it come what may. Used to prefer PES way back when but was a reluctant convert to Fifa when the former lost its way about 2009 (for me anyway). That was good for a while then PES fell off the face of the earth, EA realised there's infinitely more money in Ultimate Team than traditional means so fucked everything off chasing that and we are left with what we have now. All Fifa seems to be these days is removing things as an 'improvement' then bringing them back a couple of years later - see cutscenes in-play and the old crosshair freekick system.

I feel like I've just outgrown FIFA a bit. I went up to Leeds a few months ago on a work course and I was comfortably the oldest of the group and they were all sat there absolutely buzzing on Ultimate Team trying to get all sorts of shite that I just can't get on board with. There's far too many cards you can get in it. Just feels like a bit of an over the top mess to be honest but this is where FIFA are making a killing.

Career mode I can't be bothered with either. "Yeah I'm Leicester, I've just bought Rashford and Milner" and I'm thinking how do you take any enjoyment out of this xD it's so unrealistic.

FIFA gets some aspects spot on but FUT has just taken over the game to the point the other modes aren't really that good. I literally just play seasons and games against my mates personally.

• Subscriber

As for PES it's just a shame really. I had PES 2016 but it had nowhere near enough variety in the play despite some elements of the gameplay that were better than FIFA. I think the ball mechanics on PES are better but it's just too easy even on the top difficulty, you can beat the CPU with specific moves every time without fail. The online as well was nothing short of horrendous.

• Subscriber

I like Ultimate Team because I enjoy the card collecting element and the problem solving element of the squad building challenges. Opening packs can also be fun but I've never been suckered into that anywhere near enough to spend real life money on it. I've only played Ultimate Team on the last two FIFAs though. If I'd got into it a few years ago I'd probably be well over it by now. I do think I'll get the next FIFA but it'll probably be the last one I buy.

9 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I like Ultimate Team because I enjoy the card collecting element and the problem solving element of the squad building challenges. Opening packs can also be fun but I've never been suckered into that anywhere near enough to spend real life money on it. I've only played Ultimate Team on the last two FIFAs though. If I'd got into it a few years ago I'd probably be well over it by now. I do think I'll get the next FIFA but it'll probably be the last one I buy.

MZlRT2w.gif

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

MZlRT2w.gif

A million FIFA points costs about $7500 apparently. This is the sort of pissing contest the influencers/gamechangers of FIFA throw around for fun to try and encourage the people who watch their YouTube and twitch channels to buy packs of their own, and they get handsomely reimbursed as "pro" players for doing so.

Archived