talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Aston Villa Complete Deal for Youri Tielemans

Roma are interested in the possibility of signing Leicester City midfielder Youri Tielemans in the summer transfer window.

La Gazzetta dello Sport have reported about Roma’s approach at signing players for free in the summer, stating that while the Giallorossi have sealed their move for Houssem Aouar, they are also making progress in their move for Evan Ndicka from Eintracht Frankfurt, who also interests Paris Saint-Germain.

Tielemans is also a player who interests Roma and Jose Mourinho and his salary is also not out of the Giallorossi’s reach, as things stand. He earns €3 million per season and has already won the FA Cup at Leicester. Roma believe that they can beat competition from other clubs, which includes Juventus. As of now, Roma do not want to induldge into auctions.

When it comes to Ndicka, Roma have already presented a five-year deal to the Frenchman and are waiting to understand if offers from other clubs interest him. If they do, Roma will pull out as they do not want to take part in auctions even on that front.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/05/2023 at 23:17, Stan said:

With how he's played this season, happily see him go. 

It's mental how I went from thinking "wow he's brilliant, top clubs will want to be snapping him up soon" to thinking "what a lazy piece of shit" - I dunno if it's a bad attitude or if he's just got massive confidence issues... but he's been so poor this year and last year I think we started to see signs of him getting out on the pitch and not giving a fuck.

I'm not a Leicester fan... but if I was... I think I'd really dislike him tbh. I can forgive a player that doesn't necessarily have the quality... but puts in the effort and fight. But he's got the quality and has refused to put up the sort of fight Leicester needed this season.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's mental how I went from thinking "wow he's brilliant, top clubs will want to be snapping him up soon" to thinking "what a lazy piece of shit" - I dunno if it's a bad attitude or if he's just got massive confidence issues... but he's been so poor this year and last year I think we started to see signs of him getting out on the pitch and not giving a fuck.

I'm not a Leicester fan... but if I was... I think I'd really dislike him tbh. I can forgive a player that doesn't necessarily have the quality... but puts in the effort and fight. But he's got the quality and has refused to put up the sort of fight Leicester needed this season.

He's been very disappointing. Wonder goals aside, I expected so much more from him. First couple of seasons were brilliant and he was a real talisman to have in the side. 

I guess the defensive mindset of the team really screwed him over. But he hasn't adjusted or adapted, and when you want your talented and experienced players to step up, he's not done so. 

I actually think Tielemans is a good player and with a fresh move he'll prove he's still got plenty to offer.

I just think to be perfectly honest, Tielemans thought (or banked on) that he'd move last summer, never got that transfer and lost heart playing for Leicester knowing come what may he was off end of the season. 

Not only that, but I think a lot of the international players priorities this year have gone into the season focussing on the World Cup because it was mid season and not at the end. They want to stay fit, injury free and not miss the big showpiece and it probably comes at a cost to club form when you hold a little bit back and don't quite give that extra 10%.

Its right for both to part ways. 

it's surreal how much he has fallen off.  I'm sure there are a few theories on this, I think the most pertinent would be that he doesn't want to live in England.

to go from hot property to nobody wants you in such a short space of time is crazy.  the part that kills Leicester fans is the lack of care

• Administrator
54 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

it's surreal how much he has fallen off.  I'm sure there are a few theories on this, I think the most pertinent would be that he doesn't want to live in England.

to go from hot property to nobody wants you in such a short space of time is crazy.  the part that kills Leicester fans is the lack of care

xDxDxD 

where's this even from? How is that the most pertinent?

His kids go to school in Leicester, he's lived here for nearly 4-5 years. If he was homesick or didn't want to live here, he'd have gone way before now. Sometimes your 'theories' really do make me wonder what you're feeding off!

1 hour ago, Stan said:

xDxDxD 

where's this even from? How is that the most pertinent?

His kids go to school in Leicester, he's lived here for nearly 4-5 years. If he was homesick or didn't want to live here, he'd have gone way before now. Sometimes your 'theories' really do make me wonder what you're feeding off!

he lives there because of work, I had yo live in Los Angeles for 2 years because of work, and it was shit.  I suppose his wife and kids could have lived in Italy or Spain but that puts additional stress on.

lukaku is a case of a player who is desperate to not have to return to England despite being paid a kings ransom.

if he was so loving it he would have signed a contract and put a relegation clause and a release clause in it.  

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

if he was so loving it he would have signed a contract and put a relegation clause and a release clause in it.  

Very basic way of thinking, but nonetheless pretty much all the players at the squad apparently have a relegation clause in it. 

There's absolutely no evidence of Tielemans not wanting to live in England. It's just made up by you. 

What's more likely is that last summer he probably thought he'd leave, hence not signing a new contract here. That demand never came, and the same happened in January. Given where we are now, he knows he can leave on a free and probably get back to playing to a decent standard at a better club. 

Just now, Stan said:

Very basic way of thinking, but nonetheless pretty much all the players at the squad apparently have a relegation clause in it. 

There's absolutely no evidence of Tielemans not wanting to live in England. It's just made up by you. 

What's more likely is that last summer he probably thought he'd leave, hence not signing a new contract here. That demand never came, and the same happened in January. Given where we are now, he knows he can leave on a free and probably get back to playing to a decent standard at a better club. 

there were lots of reports last January linking him to Liverpool, he was linked in the Summer window for a move and again this January.   At no point have I seen any article of him considering a new contract with release clauses which implies he is desperate to leave, his performances are indicative of someone that doesn't care.

either he has wanted out for some time and Leicester have demanded to much, or he is a burn out talent, peaked then never hit the levels again which can happen.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

there were lots of reports last January linking him to Liverpool, he was linked in the Summer window for a move and again this January.   At no point have I seen any article of him considering a new contract with release clauses which implies he is desperate to leave, his performances are indicative of someone that doesn't care.

either he has wanted out for some time and Leicester have demanded to much, or he is a burn out talent, peaked then never hit the levels again which can happen.

Yep, so nothing there indicates not wanting to live in England any more.

He was linked with Arsenal last summer too. 

The current contracts for majority/all of our players contain relegation clauses:

However, the clauses are believed to be between 35 and 50 per cent for all players and it is normal procedure for the majority of Premier League clubs.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Ffootball%2F2023%2F05%2F14%2Fleicester-city-crisis-awards-night-scrapped-pay-cuts%2F

His performances are indicative of someone having his head turned at some point. Obviously it's not all down to him; some of the players around him have let him down, and each other down. 

The burnout thing is also quite likely - fans at Monaco said the same. But he started at a high level very young (16 y/o playing in the Champions League?). I hope for his sake he finds a high-level again. He's a very good player and that showed in 2018-2020. He's played a shit load of football for us and Belgium in the past 3 years. Almost been ran into the ground. 

• Subscriber

I really wonder if there's something in the theory with him where he's got the football body of a 33 year old simply due to how many games he's played. He started very young. He's never been the most athletic.

He's another, he's obviously a talented player, and he will always have 'that' goal, but the last year has definitely tainted things and when you actually go into depth about how good he's been for us, maybe he's not as good as we thought - he's not really had as many good games as we think. The lack of interest last summer was interesting to me. Nobody wanted to know.

He's good but I do wonder if his style of play is becoming a bit bypassed.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Liverpool links were laughable. He wouldn't last 10 minutes in a Klopp midfield.

There was a time I thought he'd be a brilliant replacement for Gini Wijnaldum. But honestly, the way he's let his standards drop over the last 2 seasons were massive red flags. We had 2/3 of a season where it looked like some players were just coasting... it made me question the mentality of some of the players until they started to turn it around (which also took a bit of a tactical shift from Klopp to build up some form because the old tactics were also shit).

Truthfully he's probably somewhere in between how he was at his best a few years ago and how poor he's been this season. There's things like confidence that play a part in how a player performs. But when you see a player look like they can no longer be bothered to turn up to at least put a shift in for the sake of the fans attending the matches for more than a season... it's a worrying display of the wrong sort of attitude any football fan wants to see of their players.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

There was a time I thought he'd be a brilliant replacement for Gini Wijnaldum. But honestly, the way he's let his standards drop over the last 2 seasons were massive red flags. We had 2/3 of a season where it looked like some players were just coasting... it made me question the mentality of some of the players until they started to turn it around (which also took a bit of a tactical shift from Klopp to build up some form because the old tactics were also shit).

Truthfully he's probably somewhere in between how he was at his best a few years ago and how poor he's been this season. There's things like confidence that play a part in how a player performs. But when you see a player look like they can no longer be bothered to turn up to at least put a shift in for the sake of the fans attending the matches for more than a season... it's a worrying display of the wrong sort of attitude any football fan wants to see of their players.

I think now is probably a bad time for me to give a fair appraisal on most of our players because they are virtually all in the bad books. But then at the same time I think the collective drop-off has been so bad that it should be a real red flag. Even Maddison - he gets it in the ear probably an unfair amount compared to some of the others but I think it's partly because of how he's gobbed off on social media and ultimately, not delivered when it's been most needed.

I'd long defended Tielemans and thought the nonchalance was just how he played the game, similar to Mahrez in a way, but in times like this I can't really tolerate how he's been playing. I'd not even start him Saturday if it wasn't for other injuries. Even Soumare, who has been a real disappointment since he arrived, has put in more of a shift.

The whole thing just amazes me every time I think about it. It would be like Alexis MacAllister and Mitoma leaving Brighton after larging half-arsing it towards their relegation - and Brighton haven't achieved as much as we did either.

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, Danny said:

Wasn’t Tielemans decent last season all things considered? Feel like @Stan defended him quite a bit

I did defend him. But first 2 seasons be was quality. Last season was better than this season. This season has been so underwhelming and disappointing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Aston Villa Agree Deal for Youri Tielemans
  • Subscriber

I tend to think when a player leaves a club that the reactions of that club's fans speak volumes and the shine has well and truly come off Tielemans reputation in the past 2 years. Emery has been pulling up trees with Villa though so maybe he can turn the player around.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I tend to think when a player leaves a club that the reactions of that club's fans speak volumes and the shine has well and truly come off Tielemans reputation in the past 2 years. Emery has been pulling up trees with Villa though so maybe he can turn the player around.

I think he will. Sometimes players just become stale at one club and need a fresh start.

I think he'll be fine under Emery at Villa. Only thing I find odd is that he was holding out for much higher, no disrespect to Villa.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think he will. Sometimes players just become stale at one club and need a fresh start.

I think he'll be fine under Emery at Villa. Only thing I find odd is that he was holding out for much higher, no disrespect to Villa.

I think his performances this season have probably played him down from a potential Champions League move to a club in Europe move this summer. Villa is an attractive proposition, big club historically, in Europe next season and the Premier League is where the money really is nowadays, even more so after the pandemic. But yeah I reckon 12 months ago he probably saw himself getting a move to an Arsenal or a Bayern this summer.

• The title was changed to Aston Villa Complete Deal for Youri Tielemans

Archived