talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How Will The Premier League Teams Do In The Champions League This Season?

• Subscriber

Whoever avoids Barcelona and Madrid for the longest will get the furthest. None have the quality to seriously challenge but if I had to pick one to reach the semis I'd go with Man United just because I think Mourinho will make them an absolute pain in the arse to beat. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
24 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

What group seeding will Man Utd get?

I reckon 2nd.

Spurs are 3rd again apparently and that could be brutal. They could conceivably get a group of Real Madrid, PSG and RB Leipzig.

3 hours ago, 6666 said:

Can't believe that's the defence you have after having spent a fortune on it. The midfield from a defensive point of view is quite weak as well but in terms of creativity it is quality. Aguero is a quality, but injury prone, striker. Jesus is a decent youngster although he looks like he wastes a lot of chances.

Definitely not equal to the squads of Bayern Munich, Juventus, Real Madrid or Barcelona. Don't think it even stands out in the Premier League. It all seems to be built around if Aguero can outscore the opposition with all the chances a creative midfield creates for him...

That Defence is rock solid if Kompany stays fit. i agree, we have the best squad in the game B|

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Machado said:

Would like to see an all English final for a change. The Manchester derby perhaps.

as long as it isn't like Man Utd vs Chelsea in 2008 (?) that's fine. That was a fucking boring game. 

16 hours ago, Stan said:

can't see an English team winning it. Barca/Juve/Real/PSG/Atletico/Bayern are stronger than all English teams right now. Maybe Dortmund too. 

Man City or Chelsea might be the closest to coming to winning it. Maybe reach the quarters but that's it. Don't think Man Utd and Liverpool will get that far.

I don't think psg are.

Why didn't Bernardo Silva play this preseason?

Can't see an English team winning it, I'm afraid. It'll be the usual suspects. In all likelihood Real Madrid to threepeat.

Got a funny feeling Utd under Mourinho will do relatively well in CL. It'll be Guardiola's 2nd season in charge of City. Can't wait to see how City does.

May the best team win.

20 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Happy Blue's started early.

Us normal people consider the transfer period a break between two seasons, for HB on the other hand it's the real part of the season. After February when MC is out of all competitions, he doesn't even care about football anymore until the next transfer windows opens.

39 minutes ago, True Bender said:

Us (1)*normal people consider the transfer period a break between two seasons, (2) for HB on other hand it's the real part of the season. After (3)Februrary when MC is out of all competitions, (4) he doesn't even about football anymore until the next transfer windows opens.  D- Must try harder

(1)*weak, limited sheeple  (2) missing word (3) spelling :coffee:  (4) what does that even mean?? writer must really slow down and try harder to form a cohesive sentence

I think Chelsea need more bench depth. I think keeping Matic would be of been better to give their midfield more rest when it comes to the CL ties. In terms of their starting 11 it can beat most in Europe. Morata is going to be a great fit for CL. He has the experience and has scored big goals.

On 7/30/2017 at 0:49 PM, SirBalon said:

Oh right!

Ok then... I've worked it out now!

At the start it's because English clubs fuelled 90% with foreign players and coache ups haven't got their engines in tune yet....  And later on they fail because the English league season is so fast paced that they're suffering from some sort of vertigo?

I think it's because we don't take a winter break, so it's easy for players to burn out. We had a good season except for the 5-6 weeks at the turn of the year where we lost all form.

I like our Xmas fixture congestion and hate the idea of a break. But I do think it puts our top clubs at a disadvantage to their top European counterparts. I also think our leagues general competitiveness at the top end also makes it a bit harder for our top teams to focus on Europe and have a successful domestic season - but I think that's a good part of our league.

As Batard said, though, it's all cyclical. England has dominated Europe in 2 eras of football history. It will happen again one day.

I think Chelsea will do the best from England this year. Best squad and Conte is a great tactician.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it's because we don't take a winter break, so it's easy for players to burn out. We had a good season except for the 5-6 weeks at the turn of the year where we lost all form.

I like our Xmas fixture congestion and hate the idea of a break. But I do think it puts our top clubs at a disadvantage to their top European counterparts. I also think our leagues general competitiveness at the top end also makes it a bit harder for our top teams to focus on Europe and have a successful domestic season - but I think that's a good part of our league.

As Batard said, though, it's all cyclical. England has dominated Europe in 2 eras of football history. It will happen again one day.

I think Chelsea will do the best from England this year. Best squad and Conte is a great tactician.

Mate, English clubs have been failing in the group stages quite a bit and especially against top clubs. The first stage (group) is before the Christmas break.

As for cyclical phenomena, even when England had that decent period during the early 2000s Spanish clubs were still performing and reaching final stages.  I'm not going to unclude Italian football because they'd be a part of it all were it not for their self inflicted depression because their football base is excellent... Just that they didn't enter the modern football era in a transitional manner early enough. But they'll be back soon. 

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Mate, English clubs have been failing in the group stages quite a bit and especially against top clubs. The first stage (group) is before the Christmas break.

As for cyclical phenomena, even when England had that decent period during the early 2000s Spanish clubs were still performing and reaching final stages.  I'm not going to unclude Italian football because they'd be a part of it all were it not for their self inflicted depression because their football base is excellent... Just that they didn't enter the modern football era in a transitional manner early enough. But they'll be back soon. 

AC Milan reached 2 finals in 3 years winning one in the 2000's

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

I think that has to do with English clubs generally not finding form until the second half of the season. Strangely enough, we had a pretty fantastic start so maybe we won't be shite in Europe. Having said that, I think Arsenal are usually a club that starts strong domestically and generally fails in the second half of the season. So maybe it's got nothing to do with that at all like you're saying.

Speaking of Italy... doesn't our influx of money sort of remind you of the Serie A in the 90s? Where the league is full of talent and even midtable and smaller clubs can make impressive signings. Yet... I fucking loved the Serie A in the 90s because it seemed like almost every club I watched (and maybe I only watched the good matches) because so many teams were tactically astute and played good football, not just the top sides. Whereas, I think England's got a few more top sides now... but I don't think the quality is as good as the Serie A in the 90s. Maybe that's nostalgia?

• 2 months later...

Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea and Spurs all with two wins from two. Liverpool two draws but all five teams currently undefeated. Potential changing of the guard?

Promising start either way considering the bashing English clubs have received previously in this competition.

8 hours ago, Lucas said:

Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea and Spurs all with two wins from two. Liverpool two draws but all five teams currently undefeated. Potential changing of the guard?

Promising start either way considering the bashing English clubs have received previously in this competition.

It's definitely a good start for English clubs, most noticeably for Spurs who managed to beat a decent Dortmund. Tbh with all the money's thrown around in England it's about time that some English clubs caught up with the rest. Juve, Bayern, Barce, Real and Atletico could do with some competition.

Archived