talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harvey Barnes Joins Newcastle

• Administrator

West Ham also interested apparently. 

I saw somewhere that £50m is what we're looking for. 

Happily take that. He's a good player, regularly contributes to attacking plays and goals, and is far too good for the Championship. 

Shame it'll be Villa but he'll never stay if we're relegated. 

• Subscriber

Yeah he's far too good for the Championship. To be honest under Emery I could see him forcing himself into serious England discussion.

He's a strange player. He's good for 10-15 G/A a season, he's quick, but he does have plenty of pretty crap games. Won't really defend either. Which is a problem throughout our side.

• Subscriber
42 minutes ago, Devil said:

2 years ago 50 million was realistic, not a chance you get near that now.

If Anthony Gordon goes for around this is absolutely fair. That said if we go down our bargaining position is weakened.

The sales of him and Maddison are to fund our rebuild.

Just now, Dan said:

If Anthony Gordon goes for around this is absolutely fair. That said if we go down our bargaining position is weakened.

The sales of him and Maddison are to fund our rebuild.

Newcastle paid well over the odds for Gordon because he had a good period over a shorter time.

People have had a good look at Barnes, he's a really good player but the drop in form is concerning.

If you'd have asked me last season I'd have taken him at United but now I'm not sure.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Devil said:

Newcastle paid well over the odds for Gordon because he had a good period over a shorter time.

People have had a good look at Barnes, he's a really good player but the drop in form is concerning.

If you'd have asked me last season I'd have taken him at United but now I'm not sure.

I mean in fairness, I don't think he's been fantastic this season but you'd be surprised how many he's scored. He's scored more this season than Gordon has in his career.

These negotiations are a lot about bargaining position though. I'd be intrigued to see by how much our price for him decreases upon relegation. I'd heard whispers from people close to him recently though that he's off to Villa.

We better be well prepared for this. There is a storm coming regardless of division.

1 minute ago, Dan said:

I mean in fairness, I don't think he's been fantastic this season but you'd be surprised how many he's scored. He's scored more this season than Gordon has in his career.

These negotiations are a lot about bargaining position though. I'd be intrigued to see by how much our price for him decreases upon relegation. I'd heard whispers from people close to him recently though that he's off to Villa.

We better be well prepared for this. There is a storm coming regardless of division.

Villa will improve next season under Emry, he could do well there.

7 hours ago, Stan said:

West Ham also interested apparently. 

I saw somewhere that £50m is what we're looking for. 

Happily take that. He's a good player, regularly contributes to attacking plays and goals, and is far too good for the Championship. 

Shame it'll be Villa but he'll never stay if we're relegated. 

I genuinely don’t see us buying anyone from the PL, we will raid Spain and Portugal

He’s bagged a lot of assists throughout his career, not something I was completely aware of. No doubt bigger clubs will want him if you can get 10-15 goals and assists from him in the right set up.

I think anyone from Tottenham to United could do with him.

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

He’s bagged a lot of assists throughout his career, not something I was completely aware of. No doubt bigger clubs will want him if you can get 10-15 goals and assists from him in the right set up.

I think anyone from Tottenham to United could do with him.

we have been interested in him since before January.   I think it is St Maximin last season as we try look for more consistency.

7 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

we have been interested in him since before January.   I think it is St Maximin last season as we try look for more consistency.

I'm amazed you'd want rid of St Maximin, he's such a weapon to throw on from the bench. He will also be a good squad player for the increase in games now due to the Champions league.

Should imagine that price tag of Barnes drops a fair bit now.

He'd be a good buy for Villa if it happens, I could see that one. I'd also not write off Brighton now if they fancied it, he'd fit in there too given the shape De Zerbi plays.

I still remain unconvinced he holds a regular first team spot for anyone other than that Villa, Brighton, Spurs bracket though. I've just not seen it at a consistant level to justify it.

Edited by Lucas

• Administrator

All pretty much correct. His numbers for a failing club have been very good, despite only 1 assist this season. I'd put that down to a lack of attackers to aim for from a winger's perspective. But I'd have been even more concerned if he hadn't bagged 13 goals this season. Goals-wise, that's what you want from a winger/attacking player.

But consistency can be his issue. As soon as teams double up on him, or if there's no support from a LB/LWB, he does struggle at times. 

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Newcastle transfer news: Club set to sign Harvey Barnes from Leicester (telegraph.co.uk)

Looks like the rumours he was staying were bullshit. Fee is again less than we should really get, but that's the price of relegation for you.

To be honest though if we generate £75mil+ for two players in this league we really have no excuse to not go back up with such an advantage.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Dan said:

Newcastle transfer news: Club set to sign Harvey Barnes from Leicester (telegraph.co.uk)

Looks like the rumours he was staying were bullshit. Fee is again less than we should really get, but that's the price of relegation for you.

To be honest though if we generate £75mil+ for two players in this league we really have no excuse to not go back up with such an advantage.

Expect to see some movement for transfers in to us next week, given the money coming in. And Enzo seems keen to get business done which is good. 

• The title was changed to Harvey Barnes Close to Newcastle Move
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Expect to see some movement for transfers in to us next week, given the money coming in. And Enzo seems keen to get business done which is good. 

There'll be plenty more I think. Want to think we'll start looking to attackers soon.

So hard to judge what to do at full back for us. If you had a fit Justin / Ricardo that would be a complete joke at this level.

This reminds me of the type of signing Everton made early in the Moshiri era of Gylfi, Bolasie, Richards etc. in the sense that it feels like they're signing him because he's one of the better players outside the top six.

For somebody like West Ham I'd think fair enough, but Newcastle feel like they should be signing better players.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

This reminds me of the type of signing Everton made early in the Moshiri era of Gylfi, Bolasie, Richards etc. in the sense that it feels like they're signing him because he's one of the better players outside the top six.

For somebody like West Ham I'd think fair enough, but Newcastle feel like they should be signing better players.

hence why I'm undecided on this, I think if st Maximin goes then I'd want a Diaby type, proven champions league level player.   i trust the recruitment but to me Barnes feels underwhelming, of course he could prove us all wrong and if happily eat crow, but meh

• The title was changed to Harvey Barnes Joins Newcastle