• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester & Leeds Relegated to the Championship

football forum

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Danny said:

The likes of Luke Thomas, Dewsbury-Hall and Harvey Barnes will stick around I think. Vardy too who will tear this league up, he’ll probably consider it a parting gift too

Harvey Barnes is in demand,  Villa, West Ham and Newcastle have expressed interest. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Danny said:

The likes of Luke Thomas, Dewsbury-Hall and Harvey Barnes will stick around I think. Vardy too who will tear this league up, he’ll probably consider it a parting gift too

Barnes doesn't stay at all. 

At the minute im more confident about Leeds coming up than Leicester City.

Leeds United already have experienced players at this level who can guide/contribute in Ayling, Cooper, Harrison and Bamford. They also have a very good crop of young players in Gelhardt, Cresswell and Drameh who have done well on loan in this divison. The only real player who you can say 'yeah fair play' if they were to hand in a transfer request is Tyler Adams. If any of the other new additions over the last two years don't fancy The Championship, I don't think there will be a feeling of 'we sure miss that player' over the course of the season. 

Leicester City on the other hand have a lot of players who will have busy agents this summer. Barnes and Maddison are the first two you'd expect to be in high regard, Vardy and Tielemans are both out of contact, and then there's the likes of Ndidi, Ricardo, Castagne, Iheanacho etc. who may be relying on past years to get a good move overseas. There's still the nucleus of a potentially good side with players like KDH, Justin, Souttar etc but it doesn't feel like they're as ready as Leeds United are.

That could all change very quickly mind you. Nobody really knows for certain what will happen with the Leeds takeover now, what managers are being targeted or how much money will be invested in revamping the squads.

From our perspective, we have to use this moment as a spring board.

Firstly, Radrizani is as good as gone. He's going to Sampdoria and he can close the door on his way out. This will mean the 49ers will hopefully complete their takeover of the club, for a cheaper fee than Radz would have liked (£170m as opposed to the £400m+ agreed) Starting a new season minus Radrizzani and that scumbag Orta will be like a fresh start.

Secondly, we need to think long and hard about the manager. It's never been the same since Marcelo, his legacy is completely destroyed now so we have to start with a complete blank canvas. But Leeds will always remain an attractive option to many because of what it can potentially offer so lets hope we can find someone to really build the foundations to take this club forward again.

Thirdly, as shit as our senior squad is, we have to build our side around the decent youth talent we do have at the club. Ok, we might lose Cody Drameh now to Luton, but we have the likes of Joffy Gelhardt, Matteo Joseph, Darko Gyabi, Sonny Perkins, Charlie Cresswell, Crysensio Summerville, Archie Gray etc we can utilise and hopefully they will flourish with us.

Finally, we've been clever and have an agreement in a lot of the players contracts that should we go down, their wages will half to fall in line with the Championship so we shouldn't be under too much pressure financially, especially with a takeover on the cards. Obviously, what little talent we do have will likely be stripped from us but we should get decent fee's for them (Tyler Adams, Luis Sinisterra, Willy Gnonto, Illan Meslier, Jack Harrison etc)

Unlike Phillips and Raphinha, I won't miss a single one sadly. No attachment to this squad whatsoever and it's vitally important that by the time we kick that first ball of the season in the Championship, the fans can feel some sort of connection with the club again because it couldn't be further apart right now.

• Subscriber

Barnes will go 100%. Him and Maddison's fees are basically going to pay for our rebuild.

I don't think we will but I'd love to hold onto Iheanacho. I think he's one of the ones who truly cares, who rarely lets us down, but he deserves better than the Championship. We didn't use him like we should've.

• Subscriber

Leeds and Southampton already taking action.

Meanwhile, our owner is putting one of the main architects of our demise in charge of reviewing where it went wrong. Like a kid marking his own homework.

Our idiocy has caught up with us.

I think there is a relationship between how prepared a team is to go down and how likely it is they come back up. Sometimes it's better to be a yo yo club in the champo because you have the players and infrastructure to bounce back in a season or 2. When you have a team who didn't have relegation on their bingo card at all is where danger lurks. Leicester will have been caught by surprise, and very few of their first team will be staying around to explore life down below. 

Leeds and Southampton are more 'ready' for life in the champo. And it genuinely might have destroyed Everton. 

• Subscriber

We aren't prepared in the slightest. We had no preparation done for the most obviously needed manager sacking ever. People are underestimating the task we have with the idiots involved. I don't think we'll go up.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

At the minute im more confident about Leeds coming up than Leicester City.

Leeds United already have experienced players at this level who can guide/contribute in Ayling, Cooper, Harrison and Bamford. They also have a very good crop of young players in Gelhardt, Cresswell and Drameh who have done well on loan in this divison. The only real player who you can say 'yeah fair play' if they were to hand in a transfer request is Tyler Adams. If any of the other new additions over the last two years don't fancy The Championship, I don't think there will be a feeling of 'we sure miss that player' over the course of the season. 

Leicester City on the other hand have a lot of players who will have busy agents this summer. Barnes and Maddison are the first two you'd expect to be in high regard, Vardy and Tielemans are both out of contact, and then there's the likes of Ndidi, Ricardo, Castagne, Iheanacho etc. who may be relying on past years to get a good move overseas. There's still the nucleus of a potentially good side with players like KDH, Justin, Souttar etc but it doesn't feel like they're as ready as Leeds United are.

That could all change very quickly mind you. Nobody really knows for certain what will happen with the Leeds takeover now, what managers are being targeted or how much money will be invested in revamping the squads.

Vardy's not out of contract just yet. 

Players I think will definitely be sold are Maddison and Barnes. As Dan says, they'll bring in most of the income. Amartey, Vestergaard, Soumare and Ward should be sold immediately. 

Others out of contract include Mendy, Bertrand, Evans. 

Plenty of money off the wage bill. 

But I'm concerned that the senior hierarchy, including the owner, just don't fully understand the gravity of the situation we were in, and now find ourselves in. Like they've been in denial or refusing to believe the seriousness of it all. So they've failed to prepare for it. It's why it's another important recruitment window this summer. We have to absolutely nail so many appointments. 

New manager, new captain (if Evans goes), new players across the park, new Director of Football. It's a hell of a lot of turnover to do in a short space of time. 

I'm worried, but also a bit hopeful in the sense that it's a massive opportunity to have a proper reset and go again, on and off the pitch. 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Danny said:

@Stan do you want Dean Smith to stay?

Hard to say. I'm leaning towards no. I'm not sure I can warm to him. But that's none of his doing really. He was put into a difficult position, almost impossible one, so I can't really blame him for the position we found ourselves in. 

I don't know if I've seen enough in this short time to give him permanency. That might seem unfair, but I think the whole club top to bottom needs freshening up, so maybe he's a sacrifice to make to help us start anew. 

Having said that, I'd like Terry and Shakespeare to stay (I know they won't if Smith goes) because we need a leader in the club which Terry can give, and Shakespeare has a lot of good qualities to support that. 

I'm not sure I trust the club in making the right appointment. 

I wouldn't be totally against keeping him, but I'd love someone with a good idea of how they want to play and see the club get back to the Premier League with good football. A philosophy to succeed and get things right off the pitch, which Rodgers took away. Things like sports science and a real eye for detail in the analysis and data to make teams good. Other clubs do it so why can't we. Rodgers was all about tactics and that's still clear to see in how our players play even though Smith was there. I'm not sure what Smith is like in that respect. I think our owners will stick with him because it's the easy thing to do. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Hard to say. I'm leaning towards no. I'm not sure I can warm to him. But that's none of his doing really. He was put into a difficult position, almost impossible one, so I can't really blame him for the position we found ourselves in. 

I don't know if I've seen enough in this short time to give him permanency. That might seem unfair, but I think the whole club top to bottom needs freshening up, so maybe he's a sacrifice to make to help us start anew. 

Having said that, I'd like Terry and Shakespeare to stay (I know they won't if Smith goes) because we need a leader in the club which Terry can give, and Shakespeare has a lot of good qualities to support that. 

I'm not sure I trust the club in making the right appointment. 

I wouldn't be totally against keeping him, but I'd love someone with a good idea of how they want to play and see the club get back to the Premier League with good football. A philosophy to succeed and get things right off the pitch, which Rodgers took away. Things like sports science and a real eye for detail in the analysis and data to make teams good. Other clubs do it so why can't we. Rodgers was all about tactics and that's still clear to see in how our players play even though Smith was there. I'm not sure what Smith is like in that respect. I think our owners will stick with him because it's the easy thing to do. 

Smith worked very well with us, part of a wider machine but very prominent within it. I think he’s exactly the type of manager to provide the long term strategy you will need, and his philosophy is to play an attractive and effective style of football.

I hope he gets the chance as I want to see him succeed, I thought you looked good yesterday, at least for the first half I watched.

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Danny said:

Smith worked very well with us, part of a wider machine but very prominent within it. I think he’s exactly the type of manager to provide the long term strategy you will need, and his philosophy is to play an attractive and effective style of football.

I hope he gets the chance as I want to see him succeed, I thought you looked good yesterday, at least for the first half I watched.

Yeah we played well yesterday. I liked some of the football we played, especially Barnes' goal.

I just feel Smith won't be given that time or money to work his magic like he did with Brentford, mainly because the finances may be much tighter now we've dropped. 

18 hours ago, 6666 said:

Next season will be the first time two Premier League champions will face each other in the Championship. So that's something to look forward to.

The first time 2 Premier League winners face each other in the Championship will be when Blackburn Rovers face Leicester, not Leeds.

Leeds have never won the Premier League.

Just now, Carnivore Chris said:

The first time 2 Premier League winners face each other in the Championship will be when Blackburn Rovers face Leicester, not Leeds.

Leeds have never won the Premier League.

That's what I meant. Fox v. Chicken.

• Subscriber

It was the Blackburn cup game back in February that give me jitters ahead of going down. They made 7 changes that night and they battered us. If we preserve this arrogance (which I'm already seeing signs of) we will get further comeuppance. I'm already fed up of being told we'll go back up. I've just had a year of being told we'd be fine. 

2 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I know it's the the usual cliché of 'Strongest Championship season' etc, but looking at the teams in the Championship this season (with Barnsley or Wednesday to come up), this really does look like a tough season.

file.php?id=73595

I mean, lets be absolutely real about things here.

Burnley, Sheff Utd, Luton, Reading, Blackpool and Wigan all replaced by Leicester, Leeds, Southampton, Ipswich, Plymouth and Sheffield Wednesday.

Its a stark contrast. The Championship looks glitzy not just from those who have gone down but Wednesday will always be a big name and Ipswich are a club with great momentum, progressing well on and off the pitch and you feel they got the potential to contest.

Going to be very difficult especially when you add others like Middlesbrough, Watford, Norwich, West Brom, Blackburn, Sunderland etc to the mix. Definitely as strong as its been for a long time.

I think attendances could be at an all time high when you see what the calibre of those clubs draw in normally.

The biggest issue for us is every away game we play, it feels like the team we are visiting have a massive chip on their shoulder playing us. Millwall, Middlesbrough, Hull etc.

Odd behaviour but makes it more difficult to get results.

Archived