talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Lionel Messi Joining Inter Miami

Xavi calls on Barcelona to re-sign Messi

Barcelona head coach Xavi has reaffirmed his belief that Lionel Messi should be brought back to the Nou Camp at whatever cost this summer.

Messi is set to leave Paris Saint-Germain, and could be in line to make a return to Argentina.

But in an interview with SPORT, Xavi has stressed he is keen to be reunited with his former team-mate.

"I'm in no doubt that if Messi were to return, he would help us in what we are wanting to achieve with our football.

"I am in no doubt and I've told this to the president. He continues to be a determined footballer, he has the hunger still.

"He's still a winner, he's a leader and he's different. At Barcelona, we've not have the same level since what we reached as a pinnacle in 2010.

"Messi brings you the talent of being able to play the final pass, he opens doors, scores goals. In the final third he can provide the difference.

"There's no doubt that he would still help us a lot - but in the end it all depends on him."

There's only one place Messi should be playing football and that's at Barcelona, let him dictate from deep with a group of players willing to do all the running around him. Obviously their finances are a mess, but it'd be good to see him winning major silverware there again.

• The title was changed to Lionel Messi Linked With Inter Miami

I'm sure he has his reasons but its a shame he didn't go back to Barcelona.

He actually had a good second season for PSG and I think he has plenty to offer still too at Champions League level. I thought winning the World Cup finally was like the monkey off his back to just relax and enjoy his football again.

I'm really surprised it didn't happen with Barca, you could have seen him linking up well with Lewandowski, Raphinha, Gavo, Pedri, Frankie De Jong etc but I guess Miami has it's advantages.

Maybe he's thinking a season or two there then one last dance at Newell's Old Boys would be the perfect end.

On the plus side, at least a man of his stature won't be told what to do by Phil Neville.

Edited by Lucas

23 minutes ago, Rick said:

I reckon he gets loaned out to Barca for next season then does 1.5 seasons in MLS. 

I doubt Miami would want to loan out Messi for any other time other than when the MLS season isn't going... and even then, I'm not so sure. They'll want Messi for as often as he's fit to play because he's Messi. This is the biggest signing in MLS history by some distance - and probably the biggest US football signing since Pele joined that NY team in the 70s.

54 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I doubt Miami would want to loan out Messi for any other time other than when the MLS season isn't going... and even then, I'm not so sure. They'll want Messi for as often as he's fit to play because he's Messi. This is the biggest signing in MLS history by some distance - and probably the biggest US football signing since Pele joined that NY team in the 70s.

Yeah, he’s just come out and confirmed he’ll be playing for Miami. Seems a bit early to be going to that league, but it’s better than him playing in the Saudi league I suppose. 

4 hours ago, Lucas said:

I'm sure he has his reasons but its a shame he didn't go back to Barcelona.

He actually had a good second season for PSG and I think he has plenty to offer still too at Champions League level. I thought winning the World Cup finally was like the monkey off his back to just relax and enjoy his football again.

I'm really surprised it didn't happen with Barca, you could have seen him linking up well with Lewandowski, Raphinha, Gavo, Pedri, Frankie De Jong etc but I guess Miami has it's advantages.

Maybe he's thinking a season or two there then one last dance at Newell's Old Boys would be the perfect end.

On the plus side, at least a man of his stature won't be told what to do by Phil Neville.

The move to Barcelona was never going to happen. They have no money and he wasn't going to cut his wages down enough to make it happen. Only reason people thought it might happen was because they have this false idea of him being the anti-Ronaldo. Money is extremely important to him.

• Subscriber

The amount of money this guy is going to make from the Apple deal, the Adidas deal when he goes there and potential purchase deals outshines what KSA were offering him to move. Barcelona weren't even on the map with any of these fiscal benefits so it makes sense he went there. His father runs the finances anyways and this is too big of a cash cow to ignore. 

• The title was changed to Lionel Messi Joining Inter Miami

"Not because of money" is a hilarious line from Messi. Nearly killed off Barcelona with his wages, then went to PSG, and now signing a lucrative deal in the MLS. Nothing wrong with it if that's his main motivation but the desperation to keep this myth alive that he's too pure for the world of football is sad.

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, 6666 said:

"Not because of money" is a hilarious line from Messi. Nearly killed off Barcelona with his wages, then went to PSG, and now signing a lucrative deal in the MLS. Nothing wrong with it if that's his main motivation but the desperation to keep this myth alive that he's too pure for the world of football is sad.

He'd play for Barcelona for free remember!

29 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Salty.

10 hours ago, 6666 said:

When Messi left Barca he was just about the only player there earning the massive wages they were on. He was carrying Barca on his back, I think he deserved that money over a lot of his overpaid teammates.

I wouldn’t put him wanting to be paid like the man who was scoring and creating most of their goals and Barca overpaying on loads of other players entirely on him.

But it’s stupid for him to say he doesn’t care about money. When leaving Barca he only really had 2 options - City & PSG… clubs for mercenaries to get money. And now he’s at the MLS getting a portion ownership of his club, a massive deal with Adidas and Apple… it’s a massive financial opportunity for him. It’s probably got more potentially higher financial opportunities for him than seeing out the end of his country as a plaything for the Saudis on a higher wage.