football forum

Do you tip?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Well do you?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

In America (and the UK), aren't most jobs service jobs? But I can get behind that. I try not to eat out as much as I can, although it's tough when I'm at work because tbh I don't really have time to get myself a lunch ready before I head out to the office all day.

Yes, you are right but colloquially the service industry is the American term for hospitality. Bartender, cook, waiter, barback, busboy, host, barista, whatever position. They don’t reslly mean retail or sales.

1 minute ago, Toinho said:

Must be different in our version of Texas… lol 

Well I was in touristy spots, it’s not like they were begging for tips or putting it on the bill, and I wasn’t tipping but others obviously were. Ten more years of libs and it would be the norm. Hospitality is rife with wage theft, and the death of Sunday rates changed a lot for people.

And you cunts are more like Texas always trying to secede ffs

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Yes, you are right but colloquially the service industry is the American term for hospitality. Bartender, cook, waiter, barback, busboy, host, barista, whatever position. They don’t reslly mean retail or sales.

When I worked at the bakery, I wanted to kill myself... so I understand what you mean about it being more stressful than most other jobs.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

When I worked at the bakery, I wanted to kill myself... so I understand what you mean about it being more stressful than most other jobs.

They are entrapping jobs meant to break people’s spirit and keep them from growing. All intentional.

14 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If she wasn't lying to you... then that's shocking and you should honestly report the restaurant to some sort of authority - because that's well under the US federal minimum wage. And a quick google search indicates that in Virginia, for the service industry they can either pay the federal minimum wage ($7.25/hr) or 75% of the Virginia minimum wage, which is $12/hr (so 75% is $9/hr) - whichever is greater (so the fraction of the state minimum wage should be the minimum a waiter/waitress should be getting before accounting for tips).

That's appalling if she's genuinely making $2.17 an hour!

There is a special wage in the US for the service industry and it's less than the federal minimum wage.  Not sure what it is but 2.17 sounds low.

9 hours ago, Toinho said:

Just saw poll results that’s a lot of tippers especially if the country doesn’t have a tipping culture. Would you tip your kids teacher for helping them? Hope so lol 

Depends on the quality of your teaching services.

14 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@Coma @Eco @Spike am I violating any sort of unwritten ethical code by not including the amount of tax added to a bill when I calculate the tip I'm adding on in the US?

In my mind, the tax would have to be paid by me regardless of how good/bad the service was... whereas what I'm paying for in tip is strictly based on what I feel is fair to add onto what was charged based on the service I received (which I never tip nothing, but if the service is dogshit I'll leave a shit tip). Seems weird for me to include the value of the tax added onto the transaction when I'm calculating the tip... so I just leave it off.

One of my friends here said I'm a dick for doing that. My reasoning though makes perfect sense (at least, to me xD) and I think he's an idiot for including the tax when he calculates tip.

I personally don't care whether you tip on tax or not.  I typically do because I can't be arsed to do the math but as a matter of principle I can see why you wouldn't want to.

4 hours ago, Coma said:

There is a special wage in the US for the service industry and it's less than the federal minimum wage.  Not sure what it is but 2.17 sounds low.

I know California doesn't have that and if you're in a restaurant you have to be paid at least minimum wage (the state minimum wage, not the federal minimum wage) + tips - I know nothing about how the other states are though.

$2.17 is basically fucking slavery tbh.

20 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If she wasn't lying to you... then that's shocking and you should honestly report the restaurant to some sort of authority - because that's well under the US federal minimum wage. And a quick google search indicates that in Virginia, for the service industry they can either pay the federal minimum wage ($7.25/hr) or 75% of the Virginia minimum wage, which is $12/hr (so 75% is $9/hr) - whichever is greater (so the fraction of the state minimum wage should be the minimum a waiter/waitress should be getting before accounting for tips).

That's appalling if she's genuinely making $2.17 an hour!

Its possible,  maybe likely she was lying.  But you are talking about South, rural small town America. 

As for the tip in the US, I know people who tip on the pre tax amount and others who tip on the final total.  Ultimately it comes down to what you are comfortable with.  Here in Canada the tax is 13.5 % , so just matching the tax is an easy way out.  But the tax is a lot lower in the US, so that changes things.

Archived