talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Should supporters have more power?

football forum

Modern football is obviously more money orientated than it use to be. This sometimes causes a divide between what some supporters want and what the club wants.   I'm going to use Arsenal as an example simply because I know more about them. I know there are loads of other clubs with the same problem.                                 

There were a lot of fans last year who wanted Wenger to go and who wanted a lot of changes at the club. Even after we won the cup I still think it would be a majority. Obviously there are supporters trusts but maybe there needs to be a set of fans who act as a kind of mediator between the fans and the club. Fans who have no financial benefit who just want whats best for the  club but who have some power and can influence decisions. They would obviously need to understand the dynamics of how a club works. I think if there was some kind of system like this is could be beneficial. I'm not sure if there is some kind of system in place in Germany.                          

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's important to have some sense of perspective here. Being a fan doesn't mean you get to have power over whatever you're a fan of. It might be your escapism but you don't own whatever's in there.

I'm sure there's small things that all clubs want fans to be a part of but I doubt we'll see a twitter poll to decide the next manager.

I never said a bunch of 16 year olds i said fans who understand the dynamics of the club. There are supporter owned clubs. I think if some supporters had a stake in clubs they could be better run

A selection of committee members from organisations such as supporters clubs, fan trusts and other parties and groups meeting with representatives from within the club is probably the best way to go about this.

I presume the Premier League clubs have similar but Football League clubs now have Supporter Liaison Officers at every club and their purpose is to bridge the gap between clubs and it's fans. I'm not sure how long these have been in place or how successful they have been but it's a step in the right direction.

19 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I never said a bunch of 16 year olds i said fans who understand the dynamics of the club. There are supporter owned clubs. I think if some supporters had a stake in clubs they could be better run

So who gets to be the judge on whose suitable and who isn't?

We have a consortium of fans that run our club backed by an American investor - is that what you're getting at?

1 minute ago, Aaroncpfc said:

So who gets to be the judge on whose suitable and who isn't?

I don't know. This thread is hyperthetical. I've not spent hours drawing up a business plan for it and thought about all potential problems

3 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

A selection of committee members from organisations such as supporters clubs, fan trusts and other parties and groups meeting with representatives from within the club is probably the best way to go about this.

I presume the Premier League clubs have similar but Football League clubs now have Supporter Liaison Officers at every club and their purpose is to bridge the gap between clubs and it's fans. I'm not sure how long these have been in place or how successful they have been but it's a step in the right direction.

Ah right. This is kind of what I was thinking

Archived