talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Biggest Spending Managers

18 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Last year real madrid spent 30 mil (morata) while barca spent FOUR times more.. real Madrid CL/La Liga and Barcelona la copa del rey :rofl::rofl: 

Real Madrid had a far more expensively constructed team last season. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, shut up said:

Mourinho winning the UCL with Porto is the most overrated achievements in football. Faced nobody on way to the final.

QF - Lyon

SF - Deportivo

Final - Monaco

They wouldn't have even got past Man Utd if the officials weren't so incompetent. 

"If", "But", "Maybe" - you can argue endlessly about these things and try to put an asterisk next to every achievement in the history of the world but the fact is it happened and none of the managers we're comparing it too have a comparable scalp on their CV. Yes, partially because circumstances have never put them in that position to do that, but I'm not really talking about those guys at the end of the day.

I don't like Mourinho but this rewriting of history about how good a manager he is because he's had two "poor" seasons is possibly the most laughable rhetoric I've seen emerge from the hive mind of Twitter and Facebook "banter" pages which is saying something.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, shut up said:

Nobody is talking about the past two seasons you downs cunt.

I'm talking about how 2004 was the worst UCL in terms of quality since its inception. No top teams at all. Massively overrated achievement. People making out it was a miracle that Mourinho over come, Lyon, Deportivo and Monaco with that Porto side (which was class btw) is laughable. 

"Downs cunt" xD You should probably learn how to handle people disagreeing with you better before you start posting on football forums mate.

I'm obviously not just referring to your post when I'm talking about Mourinho being discredited and dubbed a cheque book manager by some people but your point is laughable too. The teams in the Champions League that season would have still included the best in Europe and if the likes of Deportivo and Monaco got to those latter stages they must have been good enough to get past the Manchester United, Juventus, Barcelonas of that year.

Just now, shut up said:

They won La Liga in 99/00. That Porto side was a better side and should have beat them (which it did). 

I think people forget how good that Porto side was people making it they were like Leicester. :35_thinking:

You're right, that Porto side were very good indeed.  I actually think they were the best side in Europe that season and they only just about got past Deportivo in the semi-final.  I think I'm right in saying that Porto had Deco at that time who was a magnificent player.

19 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

💰 Career transfer spend:

Pochettino – £232m
Klopp – £284m
Conte – £440m
Wenger – £732m
Guardiola – £850m
Mourinho – £1.23 BILLION

Couple of chequebook managers stand out there :coffee:

Well i am not shocked there, apart from Wenger xD

It dont really matter how much a manager has spent during his career other than allowing those who feel the need to defend or attack his record.

What matters is winning, preferably the main trophy's, domestic league and CL, which for my mind is a mixture of what used to be the European cup and UEFA cup.

Kenny Dalglish once answered to being questioned on Blackburn's success that it was made easy because of Jack Walkers money. He said it depends on who was spending the money.

That probably has more of a ring of truth to it over the past 15-20 years than we could have ever imagined at the time.

Many clubs, Newcastle & Liverpool as examples have spent fortunes without any Premier league success with many different managers in the hot seat. Look what happened to Leeds when their misplaced dealings cost them their top league status.

So when football finds a guy who can spend the money available to him wisely more often than not and brings what all at that club craves, should he be accused of being just a cheque book successful manager?

Nahh, not for me. I believe its one of the most important skills a manager must have and in today's market, plus when there are many more clubs with enough cash on the hip to make a splash, spending that cash wisely is more than ever something owners want in their manager.

This has been a fun thread and I could write much more breaking down individual managers records, but I think it best to leave that to what you guys have offered as entertainment.

Much thanks for the xD   :ay:

Archived