talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Biggest Spending Managers

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

First of all let me make it clear...  I massively respect Alex Ferguson and what he done will forever live in football folklore.  He is definitely in any list of top coaches in history anywhere although for me not the best for many reasons which doesn't demote anything he achieved at all.

But... It's short!  In the amount of time he was in charge of Manchester United he only won two European Cups (Champions Leagues).  That's the competition that marks the greatest clubs in history apart from the rest and that why for me Man Utd don't even have the right to dispute Liverpool FC as the greatest English club in history.  Man Utd are an above average side in European football history while Liverpool are one of the legends.  So whatever they've lost in terms of domestic honours won by comparison, Liverpool make up for it 10 fold on European and world weight.

Another thing is if we go into marketing status...  This is a whole different subject!

Finally...  That's my only IF and BUT on Ferguson's reign.  He should've made Man Utd a European great and at no point were they ever this.

Bang on Balon, bang on my son :D

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

First of all let me make it clear...  I massively respect Alex Ferguson and what he done will forever live in football folklore.  He is definitely in any list of top coaches in history anywhere although for me not the best for many reasons which doesn't demote anything he achieved at all.

But... It's short!  In the amount of time he was in charge of Manchester United he only won two European Cups (Champions Leagues).  That's the competition that marks the greatest clubs in history apart from the rest and that why for me Man Utd don't even have the right to dispute Liverpool FC as the greatest English club in history.  Man Utd are an above average side in European football history while Liverpool are one of the legends.  So whatever they've lost in terms of domestic honours won by comparison, Liverpool make up for it 10 fold on European and world weight.

Another thing is if we go into marketing status...  This is a whole different subject!

Finally...  That's my only IF and BUT on Ferguson's reign.  He should've made Man Utd a European great and at no point were they ever this.

That's harsh on Man Utd since it's the toughest tournament in club football to win... but since you praised us and shat on them, I like this.

26 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbh I thought his Xmas tree at Milan was fucking brilliant. He also had Chelsea set up well and playing good football. I concede he wasn't as good domestically with Milan as he was in Europe, but he also had a pretty fucking impressive Juventus competing with him. He's done well and played good football in all the top European leagues (and France) though - I don't think you can do that without being a decent tactician. Mourinho is probably the best defensive tactician around, but I don't find that as impressive & that's just my opinion. Whenever Rafa sent us out in a defensive setup it was never as impressive to me as when he set us up to tear sides apart, so in my mind it's easier and safer to go into matches with top quality players in a unit that's primarily playing to nullify the other side's attack. I value tacticians that balance defensive organisation with a potential attack & I think Ancelotti has consistently done that in his career.

Honestly though I think your current manager may be the best tactician around. I'm seriously impressed with Conte, not just from his time at Chelsea (but wow, what a first season!) - I think he could go on to be the best manager of this era. Pep and Mourinho impress me much less, and there's no denying they're both incredibly good managers.

Mourinho at his best 2004-2010 was by far and away the best manager on the planet. His tactics were not merely 'defensive', as opposed to the garbage he does now considering the game has evolved. 

At Porto, Chelsea, and Inter, he set up incredible spines within the team and molded players into incredible leaders. He built sides that would be difficult to penetrate, yet at the same time be absolutely devastating on the attack. Very quick transition from defence to attack. 

He may be deluded at times, but he is incredibly intelligent. He knew how certain teams work and how to best match up against it. Mourinho could build teams that could dismantle lower sides as well as countering the top sides, to a point where it was nearly perfection.  We would set up a plan to congest United's midfield, then explode on the counter with Duff and Robben and win the game 1-0.  Then when SAF thought he had us found out, we would change our counter attacking game and from the getco high press and win the game 3-0. It was beautiful. 

He's a horrible man, but a winner. 

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

Don't talk wet. Jesus. 

After what Mou has spent (again) I'd expect the United fans to be wanting rid if he (again) resorts to lumping high balls into the box in 90% of games whilst firmly planting a bus, hoping for a set-piece win against the top sides. 

And let's not forget his meltdowns! He'll no doubt claim the world is against him and mooch around like a spoilt brat when a decision goes against his club. 

I posted in another thread the stats for last season, only City created more chances than Utd and that was mainly because of Euorpa League wearing players down. Yes, he plays long balls, yes, he plays a cagey football against teams who loves to dominate midfield, yes, he has meltdowns and yes, he's sometimes paranoid but spending a shit load of money is the norm when at a club where they have the means to get players they want, you can't blame him for getting top jobs, Barca and Madrid have splashed over and over again with hits and misses... Mou is Mou, does what is necessary to win and that's a strong mentality I respect even if he doesn't play beautifully and he's got resources to make that happen at each club he goes to, can't blame him for getting  large budget to spend.

38 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Bang on Balon, bang on my son :D

That's the way it is mate!  Football has a written history and everything has to be respected within it. ;)

34 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That's harsh on Man Utd since it's the toughest tournament in club football to win... but since you praised us and shat on them, I like this.

I don't see how it's harsh on Manchester United at all.  Before the Alex Ferguson reign where were Manchester United on the real scale of massive European football clubs?  They had that golden generation that disastrously ended sadly (we all know about this) and one European Cup.  Even so they'd managed to forge some sort of name for themselves but by no means were they one of the major clubs in Europe.

Their domestic dominance during the Fergie years is an incredible story and it has respect everywhere.  From there on United capitalised on this partly due to luck in terms of the fact football changed and became a sociological phenomena and partly because they also capitalised on the fact football became big business.  They're a massive brand these days and nobody can deny this...  Everyone else aside from Real Madrid have been playing catch-up and some have managed it (or superseded it) and some are there or there abouts.

It's all about what you value as a football fan.  It's all about the whole picture and the global significance football has!

Put it this way...

Alex Ferguson is massive scale on football terms.

But where should he be rightly be compared to Bill Shankley?

Or Bob Paisley!

Infact in how many years did Ferguson manage to win 2 European Cups and in how many did Rafa Benítez manage to win one less?

Everything has to be taken into account.

What's for sure is that in Sir Alex Ferguson's reign as Manchester United manager, the club went from becoming a Torino type myth to a global brand.  But I'm not into football brands...  Brands are what I wear, where as football is something I revere.

27 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

xD sirbalon are you serious? Dont be greedy and share whatever your smoking. 

I don't know mate...  But feel free to refute me. B|

54 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbh I thought his Xmas tree at Milan was fucking brilliant. He also had Chelsea set up well and playing good football. I concede he wasn't as good domestically with Milan as he was in Europe, but he also had a pretty fucking impressive Juventus competing with him. He's done well and played good football in all the top European leagues (and France) though - I don't think you can do that without being a decent tactician. Mourinho is probably the best defensive tactician around, but I don't find that as impressive & that's just my opinion. Whenever Rafa sent us out in a defensive setup it was never as impressive to me as when he set us up to tear sides apart, so in my mind it's easier and safer to go into matches with top quality players in a unit that's primarily playing to nullify the other side's attack. I value tacticians that balance defensive organisation with a potential attack & I think Ancelotti has consistently done that in his career.

Honestly though I think your current manager may be the best tactician around. I'm seriously impressed with Conte, not just from his time at Chelsea (but wow, what a first season!) - I think he could go on to be the best manager of this era. Pep and Mourinho impress me much less, and there's no denying they're both incredibly good managers.

Conte wah? I'll have whatever you are smoking... good luck in the Champions League next season... he didn't do squat with Juventus and his Juventus squad is way way better than his current squad ¬¬

6 minutes ago, robosys said:

Conte wah? I'll have whatever you are smoking... good luck in the Champions League next season... he didn't do squat with Juventus and his Juventus squad is way way better than his current squad ¬¬

Way way better. 

Lmao fuck right off xD

I can only echo some points in here on Mourinho (and chequebook managers). I think what top bracket elite managers like him and Pep should do is take a step or two down in their next challenge. Manage a club with less financial backing because that's vital in getting the praise on the internet. Got no time for really good managers getting the really good jobs. 

9 minutes ago, robosys said:

Conte built what Allegri nourished himself on.  Don't just look at stats year by year...  You either follow this properly so as to create a valid opinion and taking the whole picture into account or you should just read/listen and understand.

3 minutes ago, HK85 said:

I can only echo some points in here on Mourinho (and chequebook managers). I think what top bracket elite managers like him and Pep should do is take a step or two down in their next challenge. Manage a club with less financial backing because that's vital in getting the praise on the internet. Got no time for really good managers getting the really good jobs. 

You really expect a person to take a step down (to prove a point) in his profession with all that it entails?

Conte is an interesting case. At Juve and Chelsea he inherited clubs with considerable pulling power but in dire strait situations. Maybe I'm a fanboy but the man is a miracle worker, I've never seen a manager foster a team spirit and identity so quickly.

8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

You really expect a person to take a step down (to prove a point) in his profession with all that it entails?

Yes. 

If I was Mourinho I'd be more concerned about what people said on football forums than winning silver things. That's the real importance in football. 

Just now, SirBalon said:

That has to be a total attempt at a joke or massive trolling.

Yep. Mourinho the genius that shifted Azpilicueta to CB, changed the formation to 3-4-3, transformed Moses into a wingback, Fabregas into a dangerous impact sub, resigned Luiz, and lastly signed Alonso and the best ball winning midfielder in England.

1 minute ago, HK85 said:

Yes. 

If I was Mourinho I'd be more concerned about what people said on football forums than winning silver things. That's the real importance in football. 

I don't get where you're going with that mate.

Obviously Mourinho shouldn't give a crap what people think anywhere.

Infact let's put it another way...  Knowing how Mourinho's character is, he would never give a total shit what anyone thinks on football forums, football assemblies or even amongst his football professional colleagues (he's proved the last one a few times).

Actually no coach at whatever level needs to prove anything to us types at all.  But at the same time we will continue to have an opinion and judge upon the facts we are given.  It's all about opinion mate.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

I don't get where you're going with that mate.

Obviously Mourinho shouldn't give a crap what people think anywhere.

Infact let's put it another way...  Knowing how Mourinho's character is, he would never give a total shit what anyone thinks on football forums, football assemblies or even amongst his football professional colleagues (he's proved the last one a few times).

Actually no coach at whatever level needs to prove anything to us types at all.  But at the same time we will continue to have an opinion and judge upon the facts we are given.  It's all about opinion mate.

He's clearly taking the piss... 

19 minutes ago, Spike said:

SirBalon showing off that famous continental humour.The only humour more dull than the English.

I know we're nearly all in the EU... But are you calling me Deutch?!? >:(

I'll have you know I'm from latin blood and am on my second stage in learning how to steal wallets. :ph34r:

32 minutes ago, Spike said:

Yep. Mourinho the genius that shifted Azpilicueta to CB, changed the formation to 3-4-3, transformed Moses into a wingback, Fabregas into a dangerous impact sub, resigned Luiz, and lastly signed Alonso and the best ball winning midfielder in England.

And finished in the bottom half. 

4 hours ago, Machado said:

Is it me or is Wenger's spending/titles ratio shocking?

He started managing in 1984. It's an average of around £22m per season.

Mourinho who started in 2000 has somehow managed £72m per season.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Conte built what Allegri nourished himself on.  Don't just look at stats year by year...  You either follow this properly so as to create a valid opinion and taking the whole picture into account or you should just read/listen and understand.

oh really? you do know Allegri ditched Conte's 3 man defence in his first season and made Juventus more flexible tactically? He built his own team even after losing key players and has made them a team to beat in Champions League. Allegri > Conte spin it all you want.

Archived