talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

World Cup Qualification (CONMEBOL) - August 31st and September 5th

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bolivia aren't a good team, but they are difficult to extinguish. Their defensive positioning is spot on and are always concentrated. Cueva has been our best so far, Farfán second.

Ruidiaz is one of my favourite players, but he isn't the typical Peru #9 like Paolo is. I honestly don't think he's the right choice going forward as much as I rate him. Doesn't fit into our system. 

Flores being played out of position and naturally, he's struggling. Overall our injuries and suspensions are hurting us tactically, so I won't be harsh with Gareca, but I do think he's made a few mistakes in preparation. Peru performs better in the second half usually so I do still think we'll win but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't and end it at 0-0. Either way, win or not I still think qualifying is beyond us. Our 2 away games are too difficult.

For me the man of the match was Christian Cueva. Not only did he score that perfectly taken shot outside the box, but he was consistently creating danger. One touch passes, excellent off the ball movement and good short passes. Andre Carrillo - who had a terrible first half improved in the second and helped create the 2 goals by continuing to cut in and lay a through ball. 

Edison Flores was played out of position and was poor, but even in his bad games he doesn't stop scoring. He's been the second most consistent scorer for us only behind Paolo and has become a hell of a player. 

Bolivia are awful, score an early goal and they're done. We had a poor game but its good that we've been able to grind more results as of late. We won't go into the match with the same mentality into Quito against Ecuador, although I still think we'll only get a draw max there. Hopefully I'm proven wrong. If we win in Quito, which is unlikely but we'll be in a shout for one of the world cup spots.

Table

880156f7c9c19a857a14f56a3887805a.png

Who the hell is managing this Uruguay side? Tony Pulis?

What an awful and truly boring side. Quite literally every time Argentina had the ball, they were parked in their own third. AT HOME. Was a moment where Cavani and Suarez were right next to Biglia who had possession, and completely ignored him to just get back to their own third to solidify their giant 'wall'. One of the most boring and cowardly performances I've ever seen. 

Harsh to judge Icardi on this match alone considering the circumstances. Di Maria should not be playing LWB as his crossing is atrocious. Only criticism I have so far for Sampaoli is not having a plan B. Two strikers should of come on in the 2nd half instead of bringing in Pastore for Dybala in the 70th. Uruguay parked up shop for a 0-0 draw the moment the whistle was blown and was always going to be difficult to penetrate with only one striker. 

Point earned. Move on to Venezuela for a must win. 

27 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Who the hell is managing this Uruguay side? Tony Pulis?

What an awful and truly boring side. Quite literally every time Argentina had the ball, they were parked in their own third. AT HOME. Was a moment where Cavani and Suarez were right next to Biglia who had possession, and completely ignored him to just get back to their own third to solidify their giant 'wall'. One of the most boring and cowardly performances I've ever seen. 

Harsh to judge Icardi on this match alone considering the circumstances. Di Maria should not be playing LWB as his crossing is atrocious. Only criticism I have so far for Sampaoli is not having a plan B. Two strikers should of come on in the 2nd half instead of bringing in Pastore for Dybala in the 70th. Uruguay parked up shop for a 0-0 draw the moment the whistle was blown and was always going to be difficult to penetrate with only one striker. 

Point earned. Move on to Venezuela for a must win. 

Sampaoli's team might take time to gel, but yesterday he played one of the most predictable tactics in the history of anything.

And yeah that's Tabarez for you. Its like I've been saying for months, Uruguay have talent but an absolutely stagnant and dinosaur of a manager. That's their let down. They try to play a la Uruguaya too much and its not working for them anymore. I don't know how Cebolla Rodriguez keeps getting games for them when even Tabarez can run faster than him.

As for Venezuela, Argentina SHOULD win, but Venezuela have the talent to get a sneak draw, although perhaps I'm just being optimistic from a Peru view.

We play Ecuador away next, normally I would say its over, but there is still hope. The Ecuadorians play in Europe or Brazil now and are no longer used to their own altitude anymore. Sure they have players playing in Mexico, but so do we. It will be an even matchup. They've won I think 2 games in the last 2 years, so I really hope its not 3 come next year. 3 games lost in 18 would be amazing for us.

30 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Sampaoli's team might take time to gel, but yesterday he played one of the most predictable tactics in the history of anything.

And yeah that's Tabarez for you. Its like I've been saying for months, Uruguay have talent but an absolutely stagnant and dinosaur of a manager. That's their let down. They try to play a la Uruguaya too much and its not working for them anymore. I don't know how Cebolla Rodriguez keeps getting games for them when even Tabarez can run faster than him.

As for Venezuela, Argentina SHOULD win, but Venezuela have the talent to get a sneak draw, although perhaps I'm just being optimistic from a Peru view.

We play Ecuador away next, normally I would say its over, but there is still hope. The Ecuadorians play in Europe or Brazil now and are no longer used to their own altitude anymore. Sure they have players playing in Mexico, but so do we. It will be an even matchup. They've won I think 2 games in the last 2 years, so I really hope its not 3 come next year. 3 games lost in 18 would be amazing for us.

Oh yea most definitely. I for one love the appointment of Sampaoli and I love the stability and structure of a 3 at the back system. Early days till the players tick in that system and what players fit in (Di Maria needs to be dropped for Gaitan). Only criticism so far is that 80% of the teams Argentina will face will most likely park up shop. Sampaoli needs a plan B, as having Messi and Dybala is only beneficial if there is enough space. Needs better crossers of the ball as well as another striker at times such as last night. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Oh yea most definitely. I for one love the appointment of Sampaoli and I love the stability and structure of a 3 at the back system. Early days till the players tick in that system and what players fit in (Di Maria needs to be dropped for Gaitan). Only criticism so far is that 80% of the teams Argentina will face will most likely park up shop. Sampaoli needs a plan B, as having Messi and Dybala is only beneficial if there is enough space. Needs better crossers of the ball as well as another striker at times such as last night. 

Yeah with time you'll be there. I reckon he'll get it right when we play Argentina in October, which I fully expect to lose. Early days its sort of a trial to see who cuts it or not. The draw in Uruguay was not what I predicted but given its early days, its a good result for Argentina. Once they gel, they'll be good.

My concern though was that they played nothing like Chile did. It didn't remind me of Sampaoli, but its just the first game.

I hope they decide to gel after we beat them in Buenos Aires :D

1 minute ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Yeah with time you'll be there. I reckon he'll get it right when we play Argentina in October, which I fully expect to lose. Early days its sort of a trial to see who cuts it or not. The draw in Uruguay was not what I predicted but given its early days, its a good result for Argentina. Once they gel, they'll be good.

My concern though was that they played nothing like Chile did. It didn't remind me of Sampaoli, but its just the first game.

I hope they decide to gel after we beat them in Buenos Aires :D

They moved the ball well from the defence for the most part. But when teams literally come to play for a 0-0 draw, it's kryptonite for a 3 at the back especially with only one recognisable striker. 

He needs proper Wing Backs for this to work, as well as more adventurous CM's. Biglia and Pizarro were far too passive. 

15 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

you really believe peru has a chance to make it to the world cup?  😂😂😂😂

2 points behind Chile.

Yeah I think we have a shot, of course you disappear when we win and will no doubt come back if we lose on Tuesday.

12 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

if im not mistaken, i was the only one who said the AFA should not appoint Sampioli. carlos bilardo was right, un tecnico de cuarta. 

now time for peru vs bolivia "the battle of the bottom feeders". will peru lose to bolivia again (2-0 last time they played) 

Must be opposite day. We are closer to second than last.

@Teso dos Bichos record vs Peru

Match - His prediction

Peru vs Mexico - 1-4. Final result, 1-1

Peru vs Bolivia Copa America 2015 - 0-2. Final result, 3-1

Colombia vs Peru Copa America 2016 - 4-0. Final result, 0-0. Loss on penalties

Peru vs Argentina - 0-5 Argentina. Final result, 2-2

Paraguay vs Peru - 2-0. Final result, 1-4

Peru vs Brazil - 0-5. Final result, 0-2

Venezuela vs Peru - 2-1. Final result, 2-2

Peru vs Uruguay - 1-2. Final Result, 2-1

Peru vs Paraguay - 1-2. Final result, 1-0.

Peru vs Jamaica - 1-2. Final result, 3-1

Peru vs Bolivia - 0-2. Final result, 2-1.

Also not to forget that Ruidiaz would flop in the Liga MX and finished top scorer.

Him constantly knocking us off is helping us, and its making him look awful. Its amazing.

Lesson of the day: Quit following me around and mind your own business.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Lesson of the day: Quit following me around and mind your own business.

or just ignore each other?

the fact you went back and found all his predictions shows you have a little too much time on your hands and probably looking for a reaction so you can go on a holier than thou rant about how he's so much worse than you.

just leave each other alone xD 

Just now, Stan said:

or just ignore each other?

the fact you went back and found all his predictions shows you have a little too much time on your hands and probably looking for a reaction so you can go on a holier than thou rant about how he's so much worse than you.

just leave each other alone xD 

I didn't, they are such baseless predictions that I just remembered them all - so there is perhaps the chance I got his scoreline predictions wrong.

Never in my life have I been this excited by the Peruvian national team. We are playing extraodinary football and we are easily one of the best 5 South American teams right now. Playing the traditional Peruvian way, pretty football and the results have been coming. Such talent in the 11 only let down by a bit of lack of depth which somewhat showed last night. Paolo, Tapia and hopefully Yotun will be back for the game against Ecuador.

I will bring this table up again

Right before the game vs Uruguay

a579c8a53c0ebae49480ccd073f2999f.png

Peru since the Copa America have gathered 17 points out of 9 games. A record of 4-2-2. If the table were to be redone based on last nights results:

1. Brazil: 27

2. Peru: 17

3. Colombia: 15

4. Chile: 13

5. Paraguay: 12

6. Argentina: 12

7. Uruguay: 11

8. Ecuador: 7

9. Bolivia: 7

10. Venezuela: 6

If I did my math correctly, that should be it. 

As I said, I still don't think we'll qualify. I'll keep my expectations low with a bit of optimism that they'll surprise me. If we reach 25 points and we miss out, I'll be satisfied as its easily a step up from our previous campaigns. We've had very good players in the last 10 years but not as much balance in the 11 that we have now. Also less discipline and not as fluid play. The teams were very disjointed and most of the games won weren't by great performances and a few by luck.

Our previous 3 campaigns, we finished with 15 (2014), 13 (2014), 18 (2006), 16 (2002) and 25 (1998). We have 21 with 4 matches left

With that, I sign off until Tuesday unless I feel there's anything worth noting. VIVA PERU!!!!!!

image.thumb.png.01ab2b0b4422c9f7d29da2acbe6fca57.png

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Peru since the Copa America have gathered 17 points out of 9 games. A record of 4-2-2. If the table were to be redone based on last nights results:

should that be 5-2-2 as 4-2-2 is only 14 points and 8 games?

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

should that be 5-2-2 as 4-2-2 is only 14 points and 8 games?

Ah yes, that is correct. That table was posted after our game vs Venezuela and we beat Uruguay and Bolivia after. 

I did the math all in my head so there are possible errors but I think for the most part I got it right. I know for a fact that Peru is second in points after the Copa America Centenario.

On 8/29/2017 at 4:32 PM, El_Loco said:

One thing that foreigners are surprised to hear in general, is that Brazil and Argentina outside of football aren´t enemies. On the contrary, we´re friends.

The feeling I have is that Chile is the most disliked country in South America, Peru, Bolivia and Argentina all have or had in recent decades serious geopolitical problems with the chileans. I think we´re the only ones to get along well with Chile. haha

Just saw this

Arica will always be a Peruvian city to me. Its like the whole Tibet issue with China. 

Bolivia and Antofagasta can get fucked though. I already had to stop picking on Chile for not having trophies in football, I don't want to stop making "Bolivia sin mar" jokes. 

"Paraguay isn't Brazil, they are right below everyone else"

Its official, this is no longer Uruguay. That spirit that they've historically had isn't there anymore. They don't deserve to go to the World Cup

I said before that it would be a draw, I now think Paraguay will win. Paraguay is the team you must NEVER underestimate.

12 minutes ago, Cicero said:

This Uruguay side will be the most boring side to ever go to a world cup. 

Thankfully it won't last very long. If they go they will immediately go out in the groups.

I think us would be a good bet to go instead, I'm not confident Paraguay will make it through the groups as they have a similar style.  Unfortunately, if Uruguay get a draw in their next 2, they are almost assured as they host Bolivia in the final match.

Thankfully for Tabarez, Capello's Russia exists. To be more boring than that will be one hell of a task.

@Cicero

Sampaoli on the verge of leaving as it seems.

Its been reported that he's had a fight with Messi.

Its only a rumour it was apparently only heard in the dressing room.

If true, then I think it shows how much Messi gets away with his shithousery. He's as bad as Maradona.

If this implies anything it tells me Argentina will miss the World Cup, but I'm going to wait until Tuesday before speaking. There are too many probabilities and anything I say will be in favour of Peru.

23 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

the only difference is that Maradona single-handedly won trophies for Argentina, unlike Messi. i fucking knew it that Sampioli would fail. 

This is like the 300th time you've called him Sampiolo. Its "Ruidaz" all over again. Its Sampaoli***

I wasn't referring to football ability though, but rather their ego. The Argentina dressing room is the toughest in the world to handle, even over Real Madrid.

24 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

IF and thats a big IF, peru takes argentina's spot it will be the biggest downgrade ever. 

Well that depends. If you're talking sheer talent then yes, its a downgrade. In terms of football being played, we've been better. Argentina are still a better side overall because they've shown that playing awful football at not even 50% they can still get results, while we have to play at our best to get something out of each match, but the football being played consistently at least since October, we've been a bit better.

I don't know if it will be the biggest downgrade "ever" but it will be a downgrade. We will only be upgrades on Uruguay and maybe Colombia.

Archived