The better place to talk football.

World Cup Qualification (CONMEBOL) - August 31st and September 5th

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
7 minutes ago, Blue said:

Bolivia 1-0 Chile final result.

Now if Peru or Paraguay win then Chile's world cup hopes are done.

Why? They'd only be a point behind Peru and Paraguay with 2 games remaining? 

Just now, Stan said:

Why? They'd only be a point behind Peru and Paraguay with 2 games remaining? 

They have Brazil away last, a team that's never lost at home in qualifying.

They really only have 1 winnable game left, so they have to rely on Peru and Paraguay to drop points.

Gareca is a legend.

For the first time in our history, we've won in Quito. 2-1, we jump Chile in the table and are in 5th place with 2 games left!!!

25 minutes ago, Blue said:

Argentina literally plays to nothing.

And I'm afraid this is a foreshadowing. Not great at youth level in terms of talent and coaching.

Argentina could of won this game 4 or 5-1 If they weren't so wasteful.

The system isn't the issue in my opinion. Sampaoli needs to stick to his word and drop underperforming players. Pastore being the main one. Lost track of how many overplayed passes there were and poor crosses. 

No idea why Icardi was taken off. Do or die against Peru and Ecuador 

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

The system isn't the issue in my opinion. Sampaoli needs to stick to his word and drop underperforming players. Pastore being the main one. Lost track of how many overplayed passes there were and poor crosses. 

I think that Argentina vs Peru game will be an absolute classic.

I honestly believe that we can go and get a result. Is it likely? not really. But its very possible, they are a shambles right now, while we are flying high and continuing to break records. I hope we finish it off in Buenos Aires. More than likely we'll have to do it against Colombia here in Lima though.

One thing is creating danger, the other thing is actually getting a result. Not only that but we're without Carrillo, Cueva, Ramos and Gallese for that game. We have proper backups to STILL create damage, but we'll see. 

Regardless, I would rather see Argentina in the World Cup over Chile any day, but after that its a direct competition. I think with a win, we're going to Russia. 

Chile are almost a guarantee to beat Ecuador for me. Today, we beat Ecuador with them going forward but creating barely any danger for our keeper. 

Quito used to be a fortress but they have been awful there in these qualifiers. I think Argentina can win there for sure.

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Icardi has been awful. Now they'll beg Higuain to come back and he'll probably lead us to the WC one again like he did the past two times.

For me it's all in midfield...  Argentina have a massive problem in the centre of midfield and the crap about insisting on playing Di María is beyond me.  I know he went off injured...  In fairness he was having one of his better days until he went off but there seems to be some sort of reliance on him to drive the ball forward and he blows so hot and cold.  It's the control of the game in moments where you need transitional play from quick to then slowing it down again and that can only be acquired with a commander in midfield that can direct the orchestra...  What does the director of the orchestra do?  He synchronises everything and makes sure they all play in tune to his commands.  Banega is NOT that player!

9 hours ago, Berserker said:

Icardi has been awful. Now they'll beg Higuain to come back and he'll probably lead us to the WC one again like he did the past two times.

No he was not awful, in fact he was much better then against Uruguay. Found space and created chances. He, along with Dybala, Messi, and others were extremely wasteful. Like I said, they could of won this game by 5 goals. 

1 hour ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

but but but Argentina has the right coach now they said, he will make them great again they said. xD he aint nothing but a tatted up clown.

Transition is always difficult, especially with international sides as it demands zero patience. The team lacked cohesion and were dependent on Messi, and Sampaoli is fixing that. 

Again, my only criticism are his substitutions. Pastore is god awful and he needs to stop subbing in a striker for a striker, especially when they are in need a goal. Having Icardi with Higuain or Aguero would of caused a lot more damage. 

7 hours ago, SirBalon said:

For me it's all in midfield...  Argentina have a massive problem in the centre of midfield and the crap about insisting on playing Di María is beyond me.  I know he went off injured...  In fairness he was having one of his better days until he went off but there seems to be some sort of reliance on him to drive the ball forward and he blows so hot and cold.  It's the control of the game in moments where you need transitional play from quick to then slowing it down again and that can only be acquired with a commander in midfield that can direct the orchestra...  What does the director of the orchestra do?  He synchronises everything and makes sure they all play in tune to his commands.  Banega is NOT that player!

WHO then if not Banega?

Biglia, Pizzarro, and Fernandez, are far, far too cautious and passive as central midfielders. Banega is the only midfielder that has the balls and eagerness to pass forward, rather than side to side like the ones I've mentioned do 

13 minutes ago, Cicero said:

No he was not awful, in fact he was much better then against Uruguay. Found space and created chances. He, along with Dybala, Messi, and others were extremely wasteful. Like I said, they could of won this game by 5 goals. 

Transition is always difficult, especially with international sides as it demands zero patience. The team lacked cohesion and were dependent on Messi, and Sampaoli is fixing that. 

Again, my only criticism are his substitutions. Pastore is god awful and he needs to stop subbing in a striker for a striker, especially when they are in need a goal. Having Icardi with Higuain or Aguero would of caused a lot more damage. 

WHO then if not Banega?

Biglia, Pizzarro, and Fernandez, are far, far too cautious and passive as central midfielders. Banega is the only midfielder that has the balls and eagerness to pass forward, rather than side to side like the ones I've mentioned do constantly which hurts transition. 

He was. I agree our midfield is shit though. Banega is indeed the only one who can make something happen but he's also very intermittent unfortunately.

7 hours ago, Storts said:

Go on Brian, great result. Must admit it was the first result I looked for this morning. You prick :D

Haha, thanks. It still hasn't sunk in that we are potentially a match away from the World Cup. I may need therapy this next month, I am extremely nervous!

If we beat Argentina then we are in no matter what. If we beat Colombia only, then we have to hope that Chile won't beat Brazil as they are expected to lose there.

I honestly believe we will go out to get a result in Buenos Aires. Winning there is possible, they are a shambles right now. However, lets see if we manage to actually get that result.

2 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

The other beneficiaries of Bolivia fielding that ineligible player were Peru, who had a 2-0 defeat transformed into a 3-0 win. It was their first away win in World Cup qualification in more than a DECADE, and it appears to have shown Peru how to do it.

Dude... your trolling attempts always get me, but haven't you thought that it makes you look like an idiot?

Not even a pop here. However you making baseless predictions on South American football just to go against Peru and always getting it wrong, its amusing. "Chile won't lose to Bolivia, only teams that suck do" absolute gold.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

WHO then if not Banega?

Biglia, Pizzarro, and Fernandez, are far, far too cautious and passive as central midfielders. Banega is the only midfielder that has the balls and eagerness to pass forward, rather than side to side like the ones I've mentioned do 

I can't think of anybody in that area for Argentina right now. All I know from having seen a lot of Banega is that he is one of the most inconsistent players ever. That is not the mark of an international in a position so vital as centre midfield. He isn't good enough to be an Argentina international... But right now Argentinian football is suffering for this position. 

I honestly do believe that Argentina will come good under Sampaoli eventually. Perhaps if they stay out of this world cup it will have them have to do a complete do over. Similar to the Germans after the 5-1 loss to England (also several other results but if I'm correct that was the last straw for them)

As long as the AFA don't sack him no matter what happens in these last 2 games, then they'll eventually come good. They need to wait on him, because NO one better is going to want to work for the AFA

12 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I can't think of anybody in that area for Argentina right now. All I know from having seen a lot of Banega is that he is one of the most inconsistent players ever. That is not the mark of an international in a position so vital as centre midfield. He isn't good enough to be an Argentina international... But right now Argentinian football is suffering for this position. 

It's not even the main issue as of now, because with Banega in the side, Argentina moved the ball a lot better compared against Uruguay. 

Creating chances wasn't a problem last night, it was over played passes, terrible crossing, as well as wasteful finishing. This is down to the players, not the system. Sampaoli still needs to find the starting XI that ticks, as other than Messi, no player is a guaranteed starter, and rightly so. 

Reckon Peru and Argentina will make it through. 

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

It's not even the main issue as of now, because with Banega in the side, Argentina moved the ball a lot better compared against Uruguay. 

Creating chances wasn't a problem last night, it was over played passes, terrible crossing, as well as wasteful finishing. This is down to the players, not the system. Sampaoli still needs to find the starting XI that ticks, as other than Messi, no player is a guaranteed starter, and rightly so. 

Reckon Peru and Argentina will make it through. 

I seem to remember us absolutely battering Argentina in chances back in Lima last year, until Banega came on. 

He's a player I once didn't rate but has shut me up numerous times. He has to be in the side for me.

Archived