15. Burnley

16. Swansea

17. Stoke

18. Watford

19. Huddersfield

20. Brighton

• Subscriber

Here goes....

20. Burnley - Lost their key defender, could still lose Gray (although those rumours have died down somewhat) and I'm far from convinced they will sustain their home form from last season - which largely consisted of scraping 1-0s. It's great when it works, but the game against us was a great example, we were the absolute pits and it took a goal that should never have counted for them to get the win. They did well last year, but I think they're probably weaker than last year and they'll have no answers.

19. Brighton & Hove Albion - To be honest this is guesswork (although it technically all is) but I'm just not sure they'll have the quality. I wouldn't be surprised to see them narrowly survive but I can't see them doing much more than that.

18. Stoke City - My surprise pick, but I think Stoke look bang in trouble. I read a good article on them recently that pointed to the discontent amongst their fans. I think it makes a good case for them being relegated. https://www.football365.com/news/stoke-still-waiting-for-sunshine-after-the-rain

17. Huddersfield Town - I don't think Huddersfield will go down. I think they will start their season strongly, but tail off in the second half of the season - but not by enough to go down though. Wagner put together a side that far exceeded expectations in a short space of time, so with some decent money spent in the summer, who is to say they can't surprise people again?

16. Crystal Palace - A quite thin squad and a real change in style of play could take its toll on Palace. I expect them to be in an around the relegation battle, but just about come out of it.

15. Swansea City - I don't think Swansea will do as badly as most people seem to think. Roque Mesa is a potentially brilliant signing and if that's what they can get with £11mil, then what can they do with the Sigurdsson money when that comes in? Although he leaves a huge void and it's crucial they replace it.

14. Newcastle United - I think Newcastle possibly needed a bit more investment, but the signings are slowly coming in. I don't expect Newcastle to be too pretty, but I think they will survive relatively comfortably.

13. West Bromwich Albion - Another Pulis special. Pretty dreadful to watch but will pick up enough wins to survive, and you can beat they will turn some of the top six over too.

12. Watford - I was impressed with Marco Silva at Hull and thought he built a decent side relatively quickly. They fell short but there was promise there, and I expect him to keep Watford up fairly comfortably. Think two years ago. It still surprises me they came 17th last year. Finished 17th without ever truly being in danger.

11. West Ham United - I expect West Ham to produce more of the same. I think their transfer business points to a manager under pressure - a lot of money spent on ageing players. They have brought some decent players in, but I'm still far from convinced about the whole structure there. Still, they're capable of being excellent on their day and that will have them out of the relegation picture for me, but they won't be consistent enough to challenge for Europe.

10. AFC Bournemouth - Gradually getting better and I think they will be well clear of relegation this season. Similar to last time out, I'll say.

9. Southampton - I know little about Southampton going into this season, but they normally get it right with managers so I expect their usual performance, which is not quite good enough for the top 6, but one of the best of the rest.

8. Leicester City - Maybe I'm biased, who knows, but I thought last year despite being utterly horrendous for a large part of the season, we were a wrongly disallowed goal away from a 9th placed finish. It hasn't been a great pre-season, although we finished it well and the signing of Iheanacho has been met with a lot of praise. While I'm not expecting anything like two years ago, I think our home form will keep us comfortably save and I can't see us being so useless away either, although Leicester have a very tough opening two months that could set a bad tone for the season - it did last year. I expect Vardy to have a strong year, but there are question marks over the defence, and the primary creator could still leave. There's still a lot that could affect us, really.

7. Everton - This is normally the safest pick in the league. Not quite good enough for the top six, but not quite bad enough for the bottom thirteen - although I don't think it's beyond them to go either way. They have bought well in my eyes, but they have a demanding schedule and I think those two will cancel each other out, so 7th it is.

6. Liverpool - Maybe a surprise but I think they could struggle a bit relative to last year. A tougher schedule with Europe and they play a demanding enough game anyway. Liverpool need to sort out their defence, their tendency to make a mess of the easier games and their appalling injury record, and I'm not convinced a single one of those will happen. They will catch the eye occasionally though, as they do.

5. Arsenal - I think Arsenal have probably improved slightly, but so have the others and they won't have improved by enough to get back into the top four. Lacazette is what they've been after for years - a pacey striker with a good track record, but their defence still doesn't convince me and we've seen Wenger enough times to know what is coming.

4. Manchester United - I think I may be being harsh here but I still think Man Utd could probably do with a quality natural wide man, it's unreal how many times they play forwards on the wing. They will be hard to beat, but I still think they lack a real magician and that will cost them a higher placed finish.

3. Tottenham Hotspur - Wembley will affect them in my eyes, but they will eventually get used to it (why the fuck do we have to go there last day, fuck sake) and will go on to have another good season. I think if Spurs were at White Hart Lane, even despite their lack of transfer business, they might well have gone all the way - although I'm still unsure they've got the mentality to do it. Still, they're a very good side and I'll be surprised if they're out of the top 4.

2. Manchester City - They've filled in some of their gaps, but I still think they will get caught out defensively in some games and that will be their undoing. I do think they could absolutely smash some sides to pieces though with their attacking talent, they could get 100+ goals.

1. Chelsea - Their squad is still a little thin, but I think they're far from finished yet in the transfer window and Conte's a fantastic manager. It won't be as one sided as last time out, but I think they will go all the way again.

FourSix was closest judging by his table last year if I remember correctly. 

Can never predict these things but at the moment it be hard to look past City. As opposed to every other 6 teams, they have the most options in attack that can change the game. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

It's understandable though. No new signings, 38 away games. 

It would be if the same didn't happen every year. Don't think it's particularly understandable. We've been the best side over the past two years, we still have the same team, minus Walker, who just keep improving. Think it's mad so many people think we'll suddenly lose all that. 

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Storts said:

Hahahah the predictions for us - same as every year. Laughable how disrespected this team is. 

Where out of interest do you think Spurs will come?

• Subscriber

Wonder if Teso will put his money where his mouth is or he'll bottle it like last year. £50 from me to Teso if we go down, £50 from Teso to me if we're top half, anything else quits.

1 hour ago, Storts said:

It would be if the same didn't happen every year. Don't think it's particularly understandable. We've been the best side over the past two years, we still have the same team, minus Walker, who just keep improving. Think it's mad so many people think we'll suddenly lose all that. 

I don't think you'll get away with not investing this season though. Love how your slagging everyone's predictions but haven't done one yourself

• Subscriber
Just now, LFCMike said:

I don't think you'll get away without not investing this season though. Love how your slagging everyone's predictions but haven't done one yourself

Again, hear that all the time. You look at other club's investments, ridiculous money on players that wouldn't make our team. I'm not concerned. We will strengthen the squad in the next month. 

I'll get round to doing predictions at some point

1 minute ago, Storts said:

Again, hear that all the time. You look at other club's investments, ridiculous money on players that wouldn't make our team. I'm not concerned. We will strengthen the squad in the next month. 

I'll get round to doing predictions at some point

You generally don't stand still in football. If you don't keep up you'll go backwards

• Subscriber

I agree with Storts to be honest. Doesn't apply for everyone but they already had a better side than the majority around the top and they've got a fantastic coach. I do think they need a couple of additions but nothing drastic, and there's still time.

1. Man City

2. Chelsea

3. Arsenal

4. Tottenham

5. Liverpool

6. Manchester United

7. Everton

8. Southampton

9. Newcastle

10. Stoke City

11. West Ham

12. Leicester

13. Bournemouth

14. West Brom

15. Watford

16. Burnley

17. Huddersfield

18. Crystal Palace

19. Brighton

20. Swansea

• Subscriber
On 8/5/2017 at 4:35 PM, RandoEFC said:

Imagine if someone other than the obvious top 7 finishes in the top 7. Seems unthinkable.

Can't recall anything like it happening recently :ph34r:

• Subscriber
On 8/5/2017 at 5:01 PM, IgnisExcubitor said:

Not likely to happen, but if we manage to keep Mane and Salah fit throughout the season(or at least the most part of the season) then we can finish in the top 4.

I think Arsenal will struggle this season, if they start badly, simply because the atmosphere will quickly become vitriolic.

Hope Newcastle do well. Think they will finish in the top ten. Will be interesting to see how Everton perform with all those signings.

They won't. They couldn't have a better first game. It's an unwritten rule that we lose at Arsenal.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dan said:

They won't. They couldn't have a better first game. It's an unwritten rule that we lose at Arsenal.

2-1 home win nailed on.

Archived