talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sky Sports TV show "The Debate"

football forum

I wonder if many members here took in the new Sky Sports TV show "The Debate" tonight?

I think Sky have identified a hole in the market for a good football talk show, but their first episode offering was pretty much their weekend coverage of games, without the game.

Alas I suffered both Jamie Redknapp and Jamie Carragher talking very much the same garbage they have offered as their punditry over the past few seasons. Don't get me wrong, I like Carragher. He sometimes makes very good points, but suffers from not having subtitles so we can grasp what he is saying when he gets excited.

Redknapp is Redknapp and I am sure I dont need to list anything about his punditry.

It could become a great show, but truly needs different participants.

Fans Newspaper Jurno's & former managers would all make better listening, so fingers crossed they have a budget which will stretch to other guests than the normal Sky football pundits.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I've recorded it and will try and keep up with it on a trial basis. To be honest it just seems like even more overkill football coverage on top of the 25 televised games a week, but if I watch it and enjoy it I'll accept it as a guilty pleasure. 

Shame that they've had Redknapp and Carragher on first time. Redknapp is your typical Sky pundit who logs in to the internet football fan hive mind and churns out which opinions are popular and fashionable. Carragher is much better but it would be much better if they can get guest appearances as often as possible just for some refreshing input. 

The fact that it's a daily show is quite something though, means they're going to be chatting at least 90% boring shite with 10% interesting debate. I hope I'm wrong. 

Never knew about this. The idea behind the show sounds very good, there is a market for a debate type show and it could become a mainstay in coverage of the Premier League and Football in general but it's all about getting the right people involved. 

Pundits should be shunned from this completely, for me. Generally, they're dire in this country and there aren't many (probably any) that are worth listening to that provide insight, knowledge or have enough brain capacity to produce thought provoking debate. 

Managers could be good on here but it really depends on who. Your Pardew's and Allardyce's of this world are a plain no from me, too. 

• Subscriber

Tonight's programme with Pardew and Ian Wright was massively better than the first one with Carragher and Redknapp. I especially enjoyed the section about player power and players forcing moves and Pardew especially had some very interesting insight on the matter, confirming what a lot of people say about agents getting in players' heads and dictating their actions to make moves happen. I can't find it on YouTube but it's worth watching back if it's on Sky Go or something.

Sky are flooding the market to compete with BT, they've got the PL launch day next? Who gives a shit.

The thing is that there aren't any decent debates or points made on Sky anyway, Alan Pardew was paid to share the opinion United will be title challengers this season. Mystic Meg or what.

9 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Tonight's programme with Pardew and Ian Wright was massively better than the first one with Carragher and Redknapp. I especially enjoyed the section about player power and players forcing moves and Pardew especially had some very interesting insight on the matter, confirming what a lot of people say about agents getting in players' heads and dictating their actions to make moves happen. I can't find it on YouTube but it's worth watching back if it's on Sky Go or something.

Yes I agree, last nights episode was far better. One wonders if Ian Wright has left BT Sport. I like Ian as he talks straight, heart on his sleeve stuff.

You are right about Pardew spilling more beans on Agents power over their players. I heard Pardew on the radio a few weeks back where he said Lukaku ending up at Manchester United made more than a few minds in the game raise a eye at his agents involvement. Got to admit watching last night I felt he was moving towards Lukaku as an example, but seemed to enjoy more the story of Cabaye getting a call on the bus to a game.

One hopes for more guests of last nights quality to be invited cause it really has legs to grow into something good.

Last nights offering was the best by far. Phil Neville suffered sitting across from Craig Bellemy for a hour with Geoff Shreeves, complete and utter wanker (Chelsea fans will know why) sitting between them.

Neville, like his biased brother talked hollyhooks about Manchester United throughout the show which Bellemy could do no more than laugh at. Bellemy on the other hand, he of the reputation of "Cancer in the dressing room" came over as someone who truly loves football. Not all his points were new to our ears which is to be expected and I liked he didnt get carried away with the united bull coming from the other side of the table.

Tonight is Merson and Kamara.... Expect far too much laughing.

• Subscriber

Both were decent last night but Neville needs to think more before he speaks first claiming that United are title favourites then that Everton would make top six without being able to say at who's expense. 

Tonights episode was garbage. An hour of former Arsenal players Alan "as Vanilla as it gets" Smith and Terry "I got one point and I am going to repeat it until you turn over" Henry.

They had good subjects to debate with Geoff Shreeves trying hard to get them to actually answer the debate questions and not go off on a tangent.

Soon to be guest dependent on worthy of watching.

On 8/10/2017 at 6:35 AM, The Liquidator said:

Last nights offering was the best by far. Phil Neville suffered sitting across from Craig Bellemy for a hour with Geoff Shreeves, complete and utter wanker (Chelsea fans will know why) sitting between them.

Neville, like his biased brother talked hollyhooks about Manchester United throughout the show which Bellemy could do no more than laugh at. Bellemy on the other hand, he of the reputation of "Cancer in the dressing room" came over as someone who truly loves football. Not all his points were new to our ears which is to be expected and I liked he didnt get carried away with the united bull coming from the other side of the table.

Tonight is Merson and Kamara.... Expect far too much laughing.

5 hours ago, Pep Talk said:

Do like this show I must admit. I had hoped it would be more than just PL though. As there’s isn’t really a decent show for all leagues apart from ESPN FC.

I have no idea if that is the only real football show Americans have to watch covering EPL and other European offerings. If it is their only offering I truly feel sorry for them as its got to be the worst football show ever to be produced anywhere in the world. We get a show of the same name on BT Sport, so I hope my opinion of it is warranted and not a different show.

Having to listen too Steve Nicol, ex Liverpool and Craig Burley, he of the failed Santana Sports TV offerings are bad enough for anyone to have to listen too as an educational source for the worlds favorite game, but there is some south american guy on it, you have to excuse me as I dont know his name, who is without doubt the worst, well I am not sure if he is a football pundit or not, he could be someone they had to give a job to keep up some kinda quoter, TV sports guy I have ever had the misfortune to endure. 

Burley I presume is trying to be some kind of TV shock jock, with his Scottish twang beating out over exaggerated opinion on points which do not deserve any kind of airing. Poor ol Nicol reminds me of the guy who says his twitter account gets hacked at 11pm every night for amount of shit he spills. If he isnt pickled during some of these shows then he is in need of some serious help.

USA is fast becoming a Football hot bed, so I do hope there are better people over there bringing wisdom of our wonderful game to the masses.

20 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

I have no idea if that is the only real football show Americans have to watch covering EPL and other European offerings. If it is their only offering I truly feel sorry for them as its got to be the worst football show ever to be produced anywhere in the world. We get a show of the same name on BT Sport, so I hope my opinion of it is warranted and not a different show.

Having to listen too Steve Nicol, ex Liverpool and Craig Burley, he of the failed Santana Sports TV offerings are bad enough for anyone to have to listen too as an educational source for the worlds favorite game, but there is some south american guy on it, you have to excuse me as I dont know his name, who is without doubt the worst, well I am not sure if he is a football pundit or not, he could be someone they had to give a job to keep up some kinda quoter, TV sports guy I have ever had the misfortune to endure. 

Burley I presume is trying to be some kind of TV shock jock, with his Scottish twang beating out over exaggerated opinion on points which do not deserve any kind of airing. Poor ol Nicol reminds me of the guy who says his twitter account gets hacked at 11pm every night for amount of shit he spills. If he isnt pickled during some of these shows then he is in need of some serious help.

USA is fast becoming a Football hot bed, so I do hope there are better people over there bringing wisdom of our wonderful game to the masses.

I have found out his name ~ Alejandro Moreno

Unless you have lived in the states you probably would not have heard of him as his career has been played out in the MLS.

ESPN can and should do alot better than these guys.

Andy bloody Townsend (He of the "state the obvious" when wingman to a commentator during live games) turned up on the debate show last night and found it very difficult to complete any of his points without everyones fav football fool Ian Wright butting in and trying to make his own point over Andy's.

On the whole they were both fairly interesting and obviously got the Costa debate correct, however, their offerings as the best teams to ever play in the EPL were laughable as there was not one mention of the best ever. The best by a long long way, who beat both their offerings out of sight.

Still an ok show, but it could be so much better.

• 2 months later...

Ok so its been a few months since I last made comment to Sky's debate show which you can find most weekday nights, apart from when the International breaks are on.

I have to admit I am very selective on which episodes I watch these days as many of those on the so called panel have proved to be as knowledgeable as something you might be unlucky enough to tread on in a park or elsewhere. Of the regulars Simon Jordan, former owner of Crystal Palace  is highly entertaining with his insight on what goes on off the pitch at board level from player contracts to hiring or firing of managers. Being currently outside the game he is able to speak more freely which he sure does on occasion.

Other regulars, Ian Wright and Craig Bellemy are what I call repeaters of the obvious. I like always liked Wright so I probably cut him more slack, but Bellemy I feel is hampered by still being involved inside the game. He tries hard to be of interest but I admit to stop watching the shows he is on.

Other guests have included Big Sam Roy Hodgson Franko Zola & Phillip Neville.

Big Sam was very good as he always seems to be when out of work talking candidly on all manner of football subjects. Roy was his normal self, talking 100 words to explain something 20 would have done.

For me the worst guests are Danny Murphy Alan Smith Andy Townsend & numerous others who have turned up once or twice over the many shows so far aired.

Murphy is awful, insults one intelligence and is a instant switch channel for me. I cant stand Alan Smith as a co-commentator so to see him on a debate show where he sits so firmly to the fence on all subjects is another who should not be allowed to offer vanilla opinion. Townsend has let himself down the couple of times I have seen him and the episode with Charlie Adams & jurno Alyson Rudd was without doubt the most painful hour of football discussion I have sat through for many a year.

Anyway, if you have got this far through my drivel, tonight is a special show with Piers Morgan, he of the Arsenal Wenger fan club, Not, and his good friend n Spurs former owner Sir Alan Sugar. Maybe more humourous than football content, but maybe a show to catch.

16 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

If Simon Jordan is the best guest they can attract for a debate show I wouldn't bother watching. Hes just a male Katie Hopkins.

Oh I can understand the pain of a Palace fan when it comes to Simon Jordan, however, he hasnt done any harm to the rest of us and has proved to be good entertainment so far this season.

The way things are going at Palace we can look forward to another former owner joining the show next year in Steve Parish. :ay:

On 11/15/2017 at 7:08 PM, The Liquidator said:

Ok so its been a few months since I last made comment to Sky's debate show which you can find most weekday nights, apart from when the International breaks are on.

I have to admit I am very selective on which episodes I watch these days as many of those on the so called panel have proved to be as knowledgeable as something you might be unlucky enough to tread on in a park or elsewhere. Of the regulars Simon Jordan, former owner of Crystal Palace  is highly entertaining with his insight on what goes on off the pitch at board level from player contracts to hiring or firing of managers. Being currently outside the game he is able to speak more freely which he sure does on occasion.

Other regulars, Ian Wright and Craig Bellemy are what I call repeaters of the obvious. I like always liked Wright so I probably cut him more slack, but Bellemy I feel is hampered by still being involved inside the game. He tries hard to be of interest but I admit to stop watching the shows he is on.

Other guests have included Big Sam Roy Hodgson Franko Zola & Phillip Neville.

Big Sam was very good as he always seems to be when out of work talking candidly on all manner of football subjects. Roy was his normal self, talking 100 words to explain something 20 would have done.

For me the worst guests are Danny Murphy Alan Smith Andy Townsend & numerous others who have turned up once or twice over the many shows so far aired.

Murphy is awful, insults one intelligence and is a instant switch channel for me. I cant stand Alan Smith as a co-commentator so to see him on a debate show where he sits so firmly to the fence on all subjects is another who should not be allowed to offer vanilla opinion. Townsend has let himself down the couple of times I have seen him and the episode with Charlie Adams & jurno Alyson Rudd was without doubt the most painful hour of football discussion I have sat through for many a year.

Anyway, if you have got this far through my drivel, tonight is a special show with Piers Morgan, he of the Arsenal Wenger fan club, Not, and his good friend n Spurs former owner Sir Alan Sugar. Maybe more humourous than football content, but maybe a show to catch.

xD

Yeah, he's the definition of:

Image result for sit on the fence

And I don't think I've ever heard anything interesting or knowledgeable come from his mouth. 

5 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

Oh I can understand the pain of a Palace fan when it comes to Simon Jordan, however, he hasnt done any harm to the rest of us and has proved to be good entertainment so far this season.

The way things are going at Palace we can look forward to another former owner joining the show next year in Steve Parish. :ay:

Crystal Palace fans show no bad feelings towards Simon Jordan. He was just a passionate fan out of his depth.

You can't really compare him to a Chairman who has overseen us being in the top division for half a decade.

On 11/16/2017 at 9:35 PM, carefreeluke said:

xD

Yeah, he's the definition of:

Image result for sit on the fence

And I don't think I've ever heard anything interesting or knowledgeable come from his mouth. 

Yep, his effort today for the Watford game was as bland as it comes.

Terrible news I read over the weekend, for the World Cup in Russia ITV have hired Gary Neville.

Just when I thought we would have the summer off from the Valencia & England failure.

2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Gary Neville is head and shoulders above most English pundits but if anything that probably shows the state the industry is in.

The thing is, where are the next line of pundits going to come from? That is an even more depressing thought than the pundits now.

BT Sport seems to only hire in the 'big names' of Michael Owen, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Rio Ferdinand etc. Are they going to be spending hours watching the game film picking up tendencies and things to look out for, or are they going to continue speaking in generalizations and only pick up on what happened in the last game of that team (which is where I give Neville and Carragher credit). Where are the guys who are getting reps of experience of doing it on air?

It's an elitist industry where you have to be a big name to get any sort of exposure and platform and doesn't seem like its going to change anytime soon. Even BT Sport have cut their coverage of European football to just 5 minutes before and after a game, and no studio show. I think Sky Sports also did it for their La Liga coverage? But I can't remember the last time I watched any.

Archived