talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Kai Havertz - Leaves Chelsea for Arsenal

• Subscriber

I can only echo what others have said. I think that's crazy money for someone who has consistently underdelivered since coming to England. Also an area of the pitch I don't think is Arsenal's priority to improve.

£35m as a squad player would make sense. Maybe. What's going on right now, really doesn't. Wouldn't have him ahead of any of our starters. The only space that's opened up is the one Xhaka is gonna leave. Don't think he's even as good as Trossard as an alternative for all the attacking spots either. After that, I'd rather ESR, Reiss, and Balogun get some time. Even Pepe.

I get the fee is high based on what he's done at Chelsea and if I was an Arsenal fan, I'd be a bit sceptical of it. But I guess they are buying a player who could cover 4 or 5 positions so offers great flexibility.

He is not a striker and I don't think he's being brought in as one either. However, I actually think if Arteta uses Havertz in midfield like he does Odegaard, and then say they get Rice as the defensive midfielder, that 4-3-3 is going to look great on paper with a front three of Martinelli, Jesus and Saka.

Havertz has never struck me as the scorer, but more as the assister. And you'd probably see the best of Havertz as a deeper laying playmaker. Technically, he could thrive in this team.

In a side where the other players movement causes the opposition problems, his late runs into the box should get him more success.

Edited by Lucas

Takes too much to accommodate him, and even then his style of play is very slow and lethargic for the Premier League. He's also missed the most big chances out of any attacker bar Bamford.  

Really interested to see what Arteta does here. 

Also important to remember the last Chelsea player Arteta pushed for was Willian. 

The fact not one person can name a position best suited for Havertz speaks volumes to the conundrum that he is. Second striker, winger, attacking midfielder, deep lying playmaker (that's a first), second shoulder player, etc, etc, etc. He's been given the most time and patience out of any attacker since he's been here mind. 

The idea of Kai Havertz is much more appealing than the reality. 

17 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Also important to remember the last Chelsea player Arteta pushed for was Willian. 

Jorginho. And to be fair, he did better than expected and people ended up liking him.

37 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Jorginho. And to be fair, he did better than expected and people ended up liking him.

Jorginho gets far too much criticism as he is excellent in what he does, its just his physicality lets him down. But even then he is a squad player for you. Arsenal have a good thing going for them and Havertz takes a lot of accommodating, so it could prove detrimental. 2nd most expensive signing for your club too so I can't see him not being used for the biggest matches. 

I could honestly write a thesis about Havertz as a footballer. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Jorginho gets far too much criticism as he is excellent in what he does, its just his physicality lets him down. But even then he is a squad player for you. Arsenal have a good thing going for them and Havertz takes a lot of accommodating, so it could prove detrimental. 2nd most expensive signing for your club too so I can't see him not being used for the biggest matches. 

I could honestly write a thesis about Havertz as a footballer. 

I'm just waiting to see what the plan is with Havertz. Genuinely have no idea where he's gonna fit in but Arteta has earned some credit so let's see.

• The title was changed to Kai Havertz - Leaves Chelsea for Arsenal