talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Champions League FINAL - Man City 1-0 Inter Milan - Saturday 10th June, 2023

• Administrator

Kick-off 20.00 (BST)

Venue - Stade de France, Paris

Live on BT Sport

1200px-Manchester_City_FC_badge.svg.png        VS     1200px-FC_Internazionale_Milano_2021.svg

REFEREE - Szymon Marciniak (POL)
VAR - Tomasz Kwiatkowski (POL)

Man City - Road to Istanbul
Group Stage - 1st
Round of 16 (1st Leg) - RB Leipzig 1-1 Man City
Round of 16 (2nd Leg) - Man City 7-1 RB Leipzig
Quarter-Finals (1st Leg) - Man City 3-0 Bayern Munich
Quarter-Finals (2nd Leg) - Bayern Munich 1-1 Man City
Semi-Finals (1st Leg) - Real Madrid 1-1 Man City
Semi-Finals (2nd Leg) - Man City 4-0 Real Madrid

Top Scorer - Erling Haaland - 12

Inter Milan - Road to Istanbul
Group Stage - 2nd
Round of 16 (1st Leg) - Inter Milan 1-0 Porto
Round of 16 (2nd Leg) - Porto 0-0 Inter Milan
Quarter-Finals (1st Leg) - Benfica 0-2 Inter Milan
Quarter-Finals (2nd Leg) - Inter Milan 3-3 Benfica
Semi-Finals (1st Leg) - AC Milan 0-2 Inter Milan
Semi-Finals (2nd Leg) - Inter Milan 1-0 AC Milan

Top Scorer - Edin Dzeko - 4

Team History in Champions League

Man City
Last Champions League Final - 2021 - Man City 0-1 Chelsea
Times Won - 0
Runners-Up - 1

Inter Milan
Last Champions League Final - 2010 - Bayern Munich 0-2 Inter Milan
Times Won - 3
Runners-Up - 2

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Won’t lie I do like seeing Guardiola winning just because he’s essentially the greatest and most impactful coach the sport has had, plus I’ve always liked his style of play more than others.

Also it’s not like this is a match of good versus evil, Inter benefited successfully for a while from their foreign ownership until the pandemic.

Would be good for football if Inter do win it, though it’d be better if a team that wasn’t invited into the European Super League won it instead.

2 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Think we’re all Inter aren’t we 

Nope. 100% want City to win and am happy to be vocal about it.

Firstly, I want my old man to see them win it since he's followed them for 54 years. Seen it all, from his heroes Colin Bell and Mike Summerbee, to Georgi Kinkladze. Niall Quinn to Shaun Goater, Uwe Rosler to Paul Dickov.

Relegation from the Premier League to beating Gillingham in the playoffs in League One.

Maine Road to the Etihad Stadium.

It's very important to remember City had a history before the takeover and there are a lot of genuine fans that have seen years of mediocre shite. They know what they are now but they value it because they know where they've come from too.

Secondly, I always feel a little bit of patriotism in these European finals with the English clubs, and seeing West Ham win in the week was great. I'd much rather see City win than see the Italians giving it the big one when they aren't even the best team in their own league let alone the competition. Besides, when you see the club have the likes of Walker, Stones, Grealish, Foden, Phillips etc, it feels like you're supporting a bulk of the current England set up anyway.

Thirdly, and above all else, I'd love nothing more than City to win the treble so United cannot continuously bang on about them never doing it. It's quite delightful seeing City chipping away at United's honours and rattling them as they collect each trophy.

Not sure I have felt any patriotic feelings for English clubs for a long time. As a school kid, encouraged by partisan TV presenting, yes, a little bit then.

It doesn't really mean much to me whether Man City add a Champions League to their trophy room, or not. Or whether they get a treble to match United's of 99, or not.

The bit that does stir something within me, is an Italian side who wanted to avoid Real Madrid. And that countless Italians will be crowing of it 'coming to Milan' or whatever.

But I fully expect a resounding Man City win, that will feel like a party from the 60th minute, or earlier. 

I have genuinely never felt as sure of the result of a CL final. 

I can't really remember watching a CL final longer ago than Chelsea-Bayern 2012 but honestly this feels like a bigger mismatch than that. Barca-Juve 2015 or the first Liverpool-Real Madrid final also felt slightly like foregone conclusions, I think, but my brain is already so adjusted to City having won the CL now that it would be most shocked I've been by a CL final if Inter somehow pulled it off.

Maybe I'm just not giving Inter much credit because I've not seen much of them. 

What Guardiola has done to this city team is impressive, he changes and revolutionised teams like no one else. He got shot of what everyone was saying was the best wing back in Cancelo and decided to move to a system where plays with no wing backs whatsoever.

The way Ake/Akanje/Walker transition from centre back to flat 4 full backs and back is impressive. The way John Stones plays as a centre back and then box to box midfielder is also impressive.

Stones seems to be an evolution of how Guardiola has transformed defensive midfielders, he popularised and revamped the defensive midfielder that drops into a back 3 with Mascherano and Busquets. Then he went to Bayern and began playing with inverted full backs, turning Lahm into a DM too I believe? Done the same at City too but now has dropped the use of full backs in that way and transformed his centre backs or previous wing back into playing like that instead.

But Stones really is playing as the most evolved flexible defensive midfielder that Guardiola has created, funnily enough though he’s really not playing as a DM. Much more a CB and then more a box to box type player.

• Subscriber

I don't really want to see Man City win it but I also don't see the point investing any hope in Inter winning because if City miss out again this season, they'll get there eventually, it's inevitable.

I'm not really arsed personally to be honest. It'll obviously be a talking point if they win the treble but I don't know any City fans in real life so I can't really get into whether I'd be happy for the fans if they do the job or whether I want them to lose because they'll be insufferable about it.

This is what I was trying to say a few weeks ago really. We all know Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal fans and that largely determines your minor emotional investment in these side plots when your team aren't involved. With Man City, it's just a bit meh. Even Man Utd fans I know don't really seem particularly bothered either way about this treble thing.

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't really like Inter. I hate Man City. Definitely won't be watching this, but I hope Inter win and Guardiola cries.

I think death by football boot would be in order if he does lose this.

I’m not a fan of Inter either, but I prefer them to City. There’s no point holding out much hope tonight. City put Real & Bayern away with relative ease, and though Inter have a good defence, I don’t see them keeping this City team out. Especially when the treble is at play, I think a convincing city win. BUT, you can bet your bollocks that I’ll be putting something on an Inter 3-2. 

Still, City 3-0

• The title was changed to Champions League FINAL - Man City 1-0 Inter Milan - Saturday 10th June, 2023
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived