talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

David Raya Completes Move to Arsenal

• The title was changed to David Raya - Deal Agreed w/ Arsenal
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Do you have another keeper ready to slot right into the first team?

Mark Flekken, signed him at the beginning of the window from Freiburg when it was fully accepted Raya wasn’t extending with us. Has had a full pre-season and will likely start on Sunday against Spurs. Raya leaving has been a formality, just been a matter of who wants him. Not surprised it was Arsenal, Raya was their first choice when we were in the Championship but couldn’t get him and signed Ramsdale instead.

• Upvote 1

• The title was changed to David Raya Completes Move to Arsenal

This is quite reminiscent of when John Lukic was popular in the late 80's but David Seaman was a clear upgrade.

I feel a bit for Aaron Ramsdale. His form did drop a little in the last third of the season, but we now know that his girlfriend had a miscarriage around the time which is a lot for a 24 year old to deal with.

That said, you could tell in the All or Nothing documentary that him and Arteta have a lot of respect for each other. So it may just be a case that Arteta wants better competiton than a replacement.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Wouldn't say this was a position we needed to buy for but can't complain about having 2 top keepers. I like Matt Turner but he seems like more of a traditional keeper and that's not something Arteta wants.

Arsenal have spent too much this season and so want to do a loan deal worth £3m and then pay £27m for him next season. It’s a convoluted deal but I believe after a few games it becomes a compulsory for them to buy him. I think in the case that they do not sign him, he extends for a year with us so we don’t lose out.

A good move from us, it shows the player we are willing to do a deal and more importantly shows other players that we are willing to do a deal to get them a big move when it comes. We have done similar in the past with Benrahma and Woods but this is the most convoluted yet.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Danny said:

Arsenal have spent too much this season and so want to do a loan deal worth £3m and then pay £27m for him next season. It’s a convoluted deal but I believe after a few games it becomes a compulsory for them to buy him. I think in the case that they do not sign him, he extends for a year with us so we don’t lose out.

A good move from us, it shows the player we are willing to do a deal and more importantly shows other players that we are willing to do a deal to get them a big move when it comes. We have done similar in the past with Benrahma and Woods but this is the most convoluted yet.

You’ve turned down guaranteed money for £3 million and a loan…

This is what happens when you get greedy and buy a replacement early, you get desperate 

12 minutes ago, Storts said:

You’ve turned down guaranteed money for £3 million and a loan…

This is what happens when you get greedy and buy a replacement early, you get desperate 

The option to buy is pretty much a formality and the club will make the sale on Raya, well above the pittance Spurs didn’t actually put forward.