talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Brighton To Sign £13.5m Jose Izquierdo

Brighton are set to break their transfer record for the third time this summer after agreeing a deal to sign Colombian international Jose Izquierdo from Club Brugge.

The 25-year-old winger, who will join in a reported £13.5m deal, will complete the move after a medical.

Izquierdo scored 15 goals in the Belgian Pro League last term.

Seagulls boss Chris Hughton described him as "one of the standout players" in Belgium over the past three years.

Brighton say the winger's transfer fee would set a new club record.

Hughton's side broke their transfer record on Monday when they signed Dutch midfielder Davy Propper from PSV Eindhoven for around £6m.

They had already paid a reported £5m in June for Valencia's Australian goalkeeper Mathew Ryan.

"Jose has good experience with almost 250 senior games in both Colombia and Belgium, and has played in the Europa League, Champions League and international football, having made his debut for his national team this summer," Hughton added.

Izquierdo won the Belgian Cup during his first season with Brugge in 2014/15, followed by the Belgian League title a year later - when he was named Belgium's Player of the Year.

His two international caps came in friendly matches against Cameroon and Spain in June.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40885839

Anyone know much about him other than the wikipedia entry Chris Hughton read out? xD

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha that was only a joke anyways. I have never seen him.

Buuuuuuuuut.... I have Colombian friends who have and told me that he's done excellently in Belgium and its justified by the Colombia call up. That knowledge from me is still probably more than anyone else on here xD

If he's as good as they say he is, then this is a good signing for Brighton but we have yet to see if he'll succeed or if he's another Colombian who fails to adapt.

I don't know anything about him but I will say that Brighton's recruitment the last few years has been excellent, he's got a decent record and there's a few good reports from him on Twitter from Brugge fans.

Hefty fee though, for them at least.

2 hours ago, Toony said:

I don't know anything about him but I will say that Brighton's recruitment the last few years has been excellent, he's got a decent record and there's a few good reports from him on Twitter from Brugge fans.

Hefty fee though, for them at least.

In this market, 13M is a bargain for a player like Izquierdoz. Its not like he's a no one.

I agree though. Matthew Ryan in particular is one that is an excellent signing.

4 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

O.o a bargain for a player that you know shit about? guess your colombians friends said that was a bargain huh. :34_rolling_eyes: never change libby

I find it cute and somewhat ironic that your vision of a parody comes from a parody himself.

I don't expect any less from you though, especially seeing as if he signed for Manchester United, you'd be saying that he's a bargain and then continue to laugh at everyone who disagrees with you.

Never forget Morata >>>> Lukaku.

8 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Moving from a team dominating every game in Belgium to a team at the bottom end of a higher level is one of the biggest changes you can make. 

Belgium is one of the best feeder leagues in Europe. I'd rank them at around the same level as the Netherlands if not then slightly below it. I do have doubts about Izquierdos as there is a history of Colombians failing in the UK, but in general the talent in Belgium is VERY good.

Its like a fly trying to tangle a human inside the house. Never stops annoying anyone and doesn't have a chance of winning any argument the way he goes around things.

Jesus wept xD

4 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Belgium is one of the best feeder leagues in Europe. I'd rank them at around the same level as the Netherlands if not then slightly below it. I do have doubts about Izquierdos as there is a history of Colombians failing in the UK, but in general the talent in Belgium is VERY good.

I think you missed my point.

It is a bigger change to go from Club Brugge to Brighton and Hove Albion than it is from Club Brugge to say Tottenham Hotspur. It is going from a dominant winning team to a dominated losing team, it would be more comfortable transition for a talented player to go to a team that experiences similar phases of play. 

When you go from a team that wins to a team at the bottom end of the Premier League you are going to have to re-programme your brain, re-learn phases and passages of play. It's overwhelming for many players despite their obvious talent, Steven Defour lost his place in the Burnley team last season for example, Mitrovic and Mbemba lost their places at Newcastle the season before. 

Being a talented player doesn't mean you can play well everywhere under every circumstance. Some exceptional players can, some players are great in one type of team and wank at another.

Is queer though, or whatever the blokes name is :ph34r: might do well, I don't know anything about him, Hughton might have seen the characteristics in his play necessary to adapt well and adapt quickly, but it's clear that scouts and managers are falling well short when it comes to getting that right across the bottom end of the Premier League.

54 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I find it cute and somewhat ironic that your vision of a parody comes from a parody himself.

I don't expect any less from you though, especially seeing as if he signed for Manchester United, you'd be saying that he's a bargain and then continue to laugh at everyone who disagrees with you.

Never forget Morata >>>> Lukaku.

I bring this up to further prove my point :D 

• 5 months later...
On 8/10/2017 at 19:43, Kitchen Sales said:

I think you missed my point.

It is a bigger change to go from Club Brugge to Brighton and Hove Albion than it is from Club Brugge to say Tottenham Hotspur. It is going from a dominant winning team to a dominated losing team, it would be more comfortable transition for a talented player to go to a team that experiences similar phases of play. 

When you go from a team that wins to a team at the bottom end of the Premier League you are going to have to re-programme your brain, re-learn phases and passages of play. It's overwhelming for many players despite their obvious talent, Steven Defour lost his place in the Burnley team last season for example, Mitrovic and Mbemba lost their places at Newcastle the season before. 

Being a talented player doesn't mean you can play well everywhere under every circumstance. Some exceptional players can, some players are great in one type of team and wank at another.

Is queer though, or whatever the blokes name is :ph34r: might do well, I don't know anything about him, Hughton might have seen the characteristics in his play necessary to adapt well and adapt quickly, but it's clear that scouts and managers are falling well short when it comes to getting that right across the bottom end of the Premier League.

Why did Brighton sign Izquierdo and Schelotto?  I think it was all about pace and shooting. After losing two speedsters in Buckley and Lualua, Brighton needed to have a bit more pace up front. Started the season without giving the opposition anything to worry about in defence. Simply too slow at mounting an attack. 

He should slot in quite well as any inconsistent winger.

Archived