talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

football forum

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

I give VAR 600 days and we'll all be changing our tune on it. Not just because we've gotten used to it but I am sure clubs and countries will have caused such an uproar that the way its used will completely change too. Right now the best piece of football technology is goal-line tech. There is no debate, there is no argument and by the end of its first phase life-cycle VAR will become that way too. Didn't take cricket too long to get the tech working right there (human decision making) and I doubt this will take too long either.

There is no uproar. One of the worst things about this sport is that nobody is allowed to have an opinion. Any bit of criticism results in a fine or a ban. It's always been like that too, but it's embarrassing really. 

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, Grizzly21 said:

There is no uproar. One of the worst things about this sport is that nobody is allowed to have an opinion. Any bit of criticism results in a fine or a ban. It's always been like that too, but it's embarrassing really. 

Then that should change. I can't see why anyone would not say anything when the evidence is openly available for everyone to see. The idea of any technology introduction is to rule out the case of ambiguity in decision making. Put aside the fact that referees can have moments of pressure or make poor decisions the technology has video evidence of the event so I can't see why anyone would not use that as a point of arguing their case even if there is a possible fine?

1 minute ago, Batard said:

VAR highlights just how inept officiating standards are. There should be a gold standard of refereeing that is worked towards. 

It does, but I doubt anything will improve because the people who run the sport has their situation is depicted below.

c84e187d740133ca41bb568c5c93d410.png

• Administrator
Just now, Grizzly21 said:

What makes you think a corrupt federation like FIFA will work on referee decision making? 

We complained about referee making bad decisions hence why people wanted VAR, but that brings me the question as to why we didn't just work on referees if that was the case? I know I said VAR is a good concept in theory but it does still make the game slower in most cases so I am still against it even if I can understand the preliminary intention.

Again, you need a human to get it to work. Maybe the concept is good, but if someone is there to make it all collapse it isn't worth it.

But you make it sound like every decision VAR ever makes is wrong. Which clearly isn't the case.

Yes it can be improved and when you think about it, it's still in its early stages. I'm still hopeful that with time it improves.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

But you make it sound like every decision VAR ever makes is wrong. Which clearly isn't the case.

Yes it can be improved and when you think about it, it's still in its early stages. I'm still hopeful that with time it improves.

It's been in it's early stages for 3 years now xD

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Grizzly21 said:

It's been in it's early stages for 3 years now xD

Not on a big platform though. When it first came out, it was used sparingly across leagues - A-League probably being the biggest?

I know in the past 1-2 years it's being used in La Liga and Bundesliga, but now that Premier League is going to be using it I hope that it can mean there's even higher standards to aspire to for officials.

Just now, Stan said:

Not on a big platform though. When it first came out, it was used sparingly across leagues - A-League probably being the biggest?

I know in the past 1-2 years it's being used in La Liga and Bundesliga, but now that Premier League is going to be using it I hope that it can mean there's even higher standards to aspire to for officials.

That's a fair point I guess but it doesn't seem to have progressed at all since I first saw it in the Club World Cup.

As far as I can see, nothing has really changed with decisions other than slow the game down. Referee's were incompetent before and they still are. Perhaps it's improved a tad but not enough to say it's been successful so far.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.3cc0565e0d8b92664b45d591fedfcc78.png

No review of handball rule after Gabriel Jesus goal disallowed, say football's law-makers

There will be no review of the handball law after Gabriel Jesus' disallowed goal for Manchester City against Tottenham, say football's rule-makers.

A video assistant referee (VAR) review ruled the ball had brushed Aymeric Laporte's arm in the build-up to Jesus' effort in the Premier League game.

The law, amended on 1 June, states any use of the hand which leads to a goal or a chance will be penalised.

Lukas Brud, a spokesperson for the International Football Association Board, added: "The laws are fairly clear. It's more about acceptance and communication rather than saying, 'Oh, now we have to react immediately and change something'.

"We constantly monitor what is happening in football every day. If we feel that something needs to be reviewed, then, of course, we put it on the agenda, we discuss it with the various bodies of the Ifab, including our panels who also bring comments forward sometimes."

After Saturday's match, which finished 2-2, Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola said that he would "have to accept" the VAR decision.

He added: "It's tough because we scored a goal late on. But ask VAR people, not me."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49398840

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, nudge said:

Well that explains a lot :4_joy:

Wait a minute, in that pic they have a screen dedicated to a camera view of themselves? On second look theres two screens dedicated to it. Why?

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Wait a minute, in that pic they have a screen dedicated to a camera view of themselves? On second look theres two screens dedicated to it. Why?

Pretty sure that's just live TV feed. They sometimes show the VAR room shortly during or just before the match, probably that's what happened here too and how they were caught in the first place haha

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Big Brother is watching you, serious, it's the same when I did security work we always had a camera aimed at the main desk that was being recorded so them above if they heard a complaint that someone was sleeping on the job or smoking in a restricted zone, they would view the tape whenever or even the Police might be making enquiries about some guy that worked there and wanted to verify his story that he was working that particular day at a certain time etc, as I said, Big Brother is watching you everywhere.  :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Out of interest @Grizzly21  @LFCMadLad and the others who don't support VAR. How much disruption would you except for var? What I mean is if the disruption was only a small amount would you support it? 

I’ll have my grips no matter what but I would tolerate it if it was used like it the World Cup.

6 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Out of interest @Grizzly21  @LFCMadLad and the others who don't support VAR. How much disruption would you except for var? What I mean is if the disruption was only a small amount would you support it? 

I'm all for the correct decisions being made mate, but for how much the correct decisions are being made now compared to before VAR ... I just dont think it's worth all the hassle. 

Much preferred football before VAR I've got to say. End of the day it's only another human opinion at the side of the pitch. Bad calls are still being made but now we have a whole lot of bollocks waiting for the wrong decision to be made. 

20 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I'm all for the correct decisions being made mate, but for how much the correct decisions are being made now compared to before VAR ... I just dont think it's worth all the hassle. 

Much preferred football before VAR I've got to say. End of the day it's only another human opinion at the side of the pitch. Bad calls are still being made but now we have a whole lot of bollocks waiting for the wrong decision to be made. 

I get what you are saying but the referee only gets one look. At least with var they can get a replay. Also sometimes the right decisions are being made but unless you are a trained referee you not know why it is the right decision. You ever watch ref watch? Dermot Gallagher explains big referee decisions very clearly. For me his explanations normally make sense. However I would understand how someone untrained may not agree. 

• 1 month later...

This would have to be one of the worst VAR decisions yet....

Shot at goal going obviously out of play. Substitute warming up behind goal stops it, apparently with the whole ball not crossing the line at the instant he touched it. Ref awards a goal kick.

VAR determines it a clear and obvious error and awards yellow card to the reserve sub and a penalty to the attacking team, which they convert.... Smh

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.792448305e289abeaef126acdf11ebeb.png

VAR chief Neil Swarbrick marks new system as 'seven out of 10' despite criticism

The use of video assistant referees (VAR) in Premier League games has been given a mark of seven out of 10 by the man in charge despite strong criticism.

Neil Swarbrick says VAR will evolve and asked for fans to be patient after another weekend of controversy.

Sheffield United had a goal ruled out for a marginal offside at Spurs while Manchester City saw two penalty appeals for handball turned down at Liverpool.

"I'm really pleased, honestly, with how we have started out," said Swarbrick.

FULL REPORT

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.6f76b345c8cfc87c29929b281aad1ef2.png

VAR: How does it work in Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1?

The first few months of using video assistant referees in the Premier League have seen plenty of controversy, frustration and anger, with a number of high-profile incidents.

The league will now lead a consultation on how well the VAR system is working but no major changes will be made this campaign.

Neil Swarbrick, the Premier League referees' lead on VAR, told BBC Sport earlier this week he would rate the introduction of the technology as a seven out of 10 so far.

But how does the system work elsewhere? BBC Sport asked four journalists how VAR is working in the major European leagues and to give their scores out of 10.

FULL REPORT

Think it is incredible that the referee never goes to the screen to watch the incident and is always relying on the VAR room to save their arses. Think it can be a very useful tool, but with it's bad handling like it is at the moment it is ruining the excitement.

Also English ref's suck

• Subscriber

VAR should be a lot easier in football than rugby I would imagine, in rugby you could spend 5/8 minutes for the VAR guy and the on-field officials deciding if a player had touched the ball over the line when you have 7or8 guys piling on top of the player in question, they show it from every angle but to me you can't see fuck all then it's down to the ref to award a try or not.

Off-side in football or a handball shouldn't take all that long surely if the ref looked at a big screen and the spectators like they do in rugby and award a penalty for handball or no goal for off-side, and then it should be down to the on-field ref to make the final decision, not some guy sitting miles away in a box.   

south-africas-francois-louw-is-ejected-f

• 3 weeks later...

Archived