talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

football forum

On 05/04/2017 at 6:26 PM, Spike said:

No testosterone filled bloke is going to take a 150cm tall skinny woman seriously. That isn't even cultural, the same would apply to a tiny bloke.

Most modern day footballers are fannies though to be honest. Have you ever seen when they square up to each other?

That's what you'd expect if a footballer "got angry", I'd be more scared of a little woman to be honest, she'd be more dangerous.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/03/2017 at 5:08 PM, Cannabis said:

_78601127_mark_clattenburg_getty.jpg

A thread to basically bash the referee that has spoiled your teams game this weekend. I'm sure we'll have a lot of traffic coming through here due to the shocking standards that the Premier League has and I've chosen to stick this in the ''General Football'' section as I'm sure that officiating isn't a million miles better on the continent. 

Did Martin Atkinson award a penalty for a horrendous dive? Did Vicandi Garrido send off Lionel Messi for simply spilling his blonde hair dye? Vent all of your frustration in here people - you'll feel much better afterwards.

Shocking standards. We have some of the best referees in the world

On 31/03/2017 at 8:48 PM, Stan said:

Carragher and Neville programme called 'The Referees' showing on Sunday on SS1 at 7pm. Looks like they live the life of a referee for a day when referees aren't at a match. Fitness test and referee tests. Looks like a good watch.

Also saw an ad for Ref: Stories From The Weekend on BT Sport 1 to be shown on Tuesday at 10.30pm. Includes footage from lower league, grass-roots level refereeing and female referees officiating in men's games.

Both will be an interesting watch no doubt. 

It was very good. Showed how hard it is.  

• Administrator
On 10/08/2017 at 20:18, Cannabis said:

Thought we should have a dedicated topic about this considering it's being rolled out throughout the continent. There was controversy in the Dutch Super Cup this weekend as a goal was reversed one minute after an alleged incident in the match between PSV and Vitesse. 

I just cued you in @LaSambadeStGermain :ph34r:.

the irony as well xDxD 

• The title was changed to Video Assistant Referee (VAR) / Referee & Officials Chat
  • Administrator
Just now, Cannabis said:

There was a few threads about officials/decisions/VAR/linesman etc... so I just merged them all into one rather than having loads dotted all over the place. 

Can always split them back if need be :what:

The VAR threads can go all in one.

Just think referees in their own entity 'deserve' their own thread because not all VAR stuff is related to some decisions referees make (especially some named early in this thread (Jon Moss especially!)

16 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

VR doesn't slow a Superior game like Rugby down so it wont in football, it only takes a few seconds to check if a player is offside etc  ..the clock should stop when the balls not in play too, do away with extra time

I think it needs work but you don't just give up because it needs work. When I watched it in the Confederations cup the only time it stopped the game when a goal was scored the desition was changed so it was worth it.  

11 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think it needs work but you don't just give up because it needs work. When I watched it in the Confederations cup the only time it stopped the game when a goal was scored the desition was changed so it was worth it.  

100% 

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Video Assistant Referee (VAR)
  • Administrator

Interesting to see how, if at all, this gets implemented as the game goes on over the months/years etc. 

I'm pretty sure there was a rule of 'only captains speak to the referee' or 'no signalling to the referee that a player should be booked' otherwise there'll be yellow cards handed out. But I don't think that still happens?

Some referees are more strict than others. 

Also don't agree that a bad tackle that could end a player's game carries the same punishment as asking/suggesting the ref should review it :/ 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Administrator

VAR to be used in the following competitions (and from then onwards):

2019-20 Champions League
2019 Super Cup
2020 European Championships
2020-21 Europa League
2021 Nations League Finals.

The system - used at the 2018 World Cup in Russia - allows referees to review footage of key decisions.

President Aleksander Ceferin said Uefa was "confident" it would have time "to put in place a robust system".

He added it would also provide sufficient time to train match officials to ensure an "efficient and successful implementation of VAR" in "the world's flagship club competition".

VAR was under intense scrutiny at the World Cup, where its use was allowed to clear up incidents around the awarding of goals, penalties, red cards and in cases of mistaken identity.

Australia's A-League was the first top-flight league to use the system in 2017, with Major League Soccer in America soon following.

England's Carabao Cup is using VAR in all fixtures held at Premier League grounds this season.

Analysis

BBC sports news correspondent Richard Conway

This is going to be part of a general falling in line from the major confederations and the big leagues over the next 12 months.

I think Uefa were waiting to see how VAR fared at the World Cup in Russia. It is not without its critics but I think, on the whole, people thought it worked.

There is a lot of money at stake and I think the clubs, critically, are in favour of it. They want to see more fairness and more justice in terms of those big decisions, given what is at stake for them.

The interesting thing is that Fifa has a number of protocols in place that it has been refining for about two and a half years.

Anyone who wants to implement VAR has to stick pretty rigidly to the rules that have been set by Fifa, so if the Premier League falls in line with this - I think the expectation is that they will announce before the end of this season that they are bringing it in - they have to stick to what has been agreed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45665012

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Champions League: Uefa considering fast-tracking VAR for this year's competition

Video Assistant Referees (VAR) could be introduced into the latter stages of this season's Champions League.

European football's governing body Uefa announced in September that VAR will be phased in from 2019.

However, Uefa has been discussing fast-tracking VAR for a number of weeks.

Fears of high-profile, game-changing mistakes in the biggest games, coupled with the perception that VAR was a success at the World Cup, have prompted leading officials into a rethink.

A penalty given to Manchester City against Shakhtar Donetsk on Wednesday, after Raheem Sterling appeared to trip himself up, is just the latest incident to attract criticism after a spot-kick was incorrectly awarded.

Training and workshops for referees are continuing throughout Europe but it is thought there is growing confidence within Uefa that a sufficient number of officials are now up to speed - enough to introduce VAR for this season's latter stages.

A decision could be announced in early December when Uefa's executive committee next meets.

Meanwhile, Uefa president Alexander Ceferin has been confirmed as the sole candidate for next year's presidential election.

The candidates to represent European football in world governing body Fifa have also been selected and will see IFA president David Martin going up against FA chairman Greg Clarke for the Fifa vice-president seat reserved for British associations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46139065

3 hours ago, Stan said:

I don't get how anyone against VAR can watch that incident with Sterling yesterday and not think VAR is a good idea. 

I don’t think they can be bringing it in mid-tournament as you’ll get loads of people moaning about “what if’s” during the pre-VAR stage. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

By Emma Sanders

BBC Sport

9 December 2018|Premier League

_104709805_gettyimages-1070476200.jpg

DeAndre Yedlin's sending-off meant Newcastle had to play for 33 minutes with only 10 men

The Premier League needs video assistant referees now, Newcastle boss Rafael Benitez said after Wolves scored a dramatic stoppage-time winner against his 10-man side.

Matt Doherty headed home the rebound after Diogo Jota's shot was pushed into his path in the 95th minute.

Ayoze Perez's superb header had pulled Newcastle level after Jota gave Wolves the lead before the break at St James' Park.

Magpies defender DeAndre Yedlin was sent off by referee Mike Dean after 57 minutes - with the score at 1-1 - and Newcastle had a rejected penalty claim for a Willy Boly challenge on Perez.

"We need VAR now," said Benitez. "In this game, it would have changed everything. We were doing enough to control the game. How can you explain those decisions to all our fans?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46416287

I still hope that this nonsense will be abolished again. In the Bundesliga nothing has gotten better at all.

On the contrary. Watching Bundesliga has become much more annoying. The matches are constantly interrupted and there is discussion all the time.

Everything lasts forever and you never know if a decision has been made or will be intervened 5 minutes later. All seems totally arbitrary.

I don't see anything positive about it at all. At least not the way it is right now.

Archived