• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

football forum

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Don't know how I feel about it. The corruption in FIFA is one of the world's worst kept secrets. So how will that be influenced on our VAR officials? 

Probably some (a lot) of confirmation bias in saying they'll make sure big clubs are favoured because everyone knows glass ceilings are there not to be broken and you are not allowed to upset the elite.

What I want to see is some consequence of these wrong decisions. 3 in 1 day last night. Ward-Prowse penalty vs Everton, Fernandes on Konsa, Kane against Bournemouth. All had some influence and game-changing effects. What 'retrospective action' will there be for the referees involved? Not to downplay the other two, but the worst one was definitely Fernandes'. Jon Moss on-pitch and Graeme Scott at Stockley Park. Will anything happen? 

PGMOL coming out and saying they were all incorrect decisions means they've taken responsibility and accountability but what lessons will be learned from now on, if any? What will FIFA do?

The best thing that can hopefully be done now FIFA are taking control, is having independent referees in VAR hubs. It's too convenient to have our own referees backing their mates in Stockley Park. 

Yeah spot on Stan, I just think there has to be set rules now. The only thing the video assistant should have any say on is whether its on or offside. Any on field decision which he feels could be wrong send the ref straight to the monitor. Even the Nketiah one, the bloke looked at it what 10 times? Then finally sent the ref over and it took him no time to review it. 

I think also having a completely different entity running VAR would be a big step in the right direction, not sure how they'd do that though. 

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was watching about the new var system. Last season the benefit of the doubt wasnt given to the attacking players. So it wasn't an error when those really tight goals were disallowed it was what they were told to do. This season it will be

@Dr. Gonzo you will get an extra 20 goals this season 😂

@Stan no point in talking to anti var fans as  nothing will make them happy. What did you think of this week? I thought it seemed to work well this week. We weren't all talking about car which suggests to me it is working better?

• 2 months later...

Archived