talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

football forum

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it is eventually proven to bring the outcome closer to 50/50 then I don't see why not. 

I assume there's a figure out there for tennis tie-breaks that shows if the first taker has any advantage.

17 hours ago, Stan said:

That's confusing as fuck when reading it xD

Yep, who the fuck wrote that. I had to read it twice.

@topic

It's a daft change. They are speaking of pressure. Now imagine your teammates misses a penalty, then it puts even more pressure on the third taker. Say a1 scores, and then both b1 and b2 misses, and then it gives unfair advantage to a2, and puts b3 under immense pressure.

Also if both a2 and a3 score, then that's it, your pentay shootout is pretty much over.

Fuck this shit, I prefer the current system.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Yep, who the fuck wrote that. I had to read it twice.

@topic

It's a daft change. They are speaking of pressure. Now imagine your teammates misses a penalty, then it puts even more pressure on the third taker. Say a1 scores, and then both b1 and b2 misses, and then it gives unfair advantage to a2, and puts b3 under immense pressure.

Also if both a2 and a3 score, then that's it, your pentay shootout is pretty much over.

Fuck this shit, I prefer the current system.

Thanks for using variables this first, second group, third group stuff is confusing but you're right there putting two people up in a pair ends penalty shootouts faster and I think is also a lot more unfair when you look at the overall scheme of things. 

• 3 months later...

I've said it many times before, people can like the concept of VAR as much as they want but it won't change that they are all human decisions and for that factor it simply will not work in this sport. 

There will always be a formula that will have one flaw or another. Its a waste of money and effort.

1 minute ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

xD only fools are against this but then again it doesnt surprise me its someone that watches the amateur league of peru.

Could be worse, I could support a team like Manchester United only because they win from thousands of miles away with no connection to the club and not have the joy of celebrating with the other fans in the stadium.

Not sure what the problem is about? The video looked absolutely fine to me. There have been late offside calls where the linesman reacts late and rejects the premature celebrations of goal scoring teams and fans, this took a little longer than that and IMO this VAR should continue. Why should that team who should have been awarded a penalty robbed because of human error?

6 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

If it statistically lowers the amount of incorrect calls then surely it is worth it?

If there aren't any significant negative side-effects, absolutely. It doesn't have to be perfect to be an improvement, and the only way we're going to eradicate any flaws is by testing it.

One more thing, when they showed the replay of that penalty call at the end of that video it looked that its a penalty very cleanly, no second replay was even needed, the VAR guy watching on the TV was an idiot to react so late (or may be the on ground referee) who didnt pay attention to his instructions over the microphone but it was not really a hard decision to make with just one replay, they were just very late to react. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

So what was wrong with the video? A correct call was made that if it wasn't, the opposition team would have an undeserved goal. 

Yep, imagine there was no VAR and the game which supposed to go 1-1 (assuming they score the penalty) goes to to become 2-0 instead, how gutted the losing team would be to lose two goals in one minute due to one human error. 

• Subscriber

If referees still make the wrong decision after seeing it from more angles, that's the referee's problem, not VAR.

VAR is a step in the right direction but until referees are given a rule book with less grey areas and training that prepares them more thoroughly for making the types of tough calls where we often see inconsistencies, there will always be issues. 

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

If referees still make the wrong decision after seeing it from more angles, that's the referee's problem, not VAR.

VAR is a step in the right direction but until referees are given a rule book with less grey areas and training that prepares them more thoroughly for making the types of tough calls where we often see inconsistencies, there will always be issues. 

This is exactly the reason why it won't work. VAR may be able to give the referee's a second look, but the ones making the decision is them. It won't take incompetent referees away from the game, and it will add more controversy in my eyes.

On 8/10/2017 at 5:23 PM, Teso dos Bichos said:

so its not VAR thats a problem is incompetent refs. good refs will use VAR properly so your argument is contradicting, doesnt surprise me one bit. 

You are calling me out for a contradicting argument. Oh the irony.

Hope Rabs finger slips again and accidentally bans you like he did with Halewood.

Don't know if anyone  here watches Field Hockey but VAR has been implemented perfectly in that sport.

Its different from football though. Players are only able to use it within the penalty box and only the players can use it not the referre.Referre gives a decision players can refere it like he was fouled or it touched the opposition players foot(in case of football, the hand) or like a goal given shouldn't been given.

Bookings and anything that happens outside the penalty box cannot be referred to VAR.The referre's decision is final.

3 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Kaka sent off via VAR for joking with an ex teammate.

Hilarious.

It has nothing to do with the VAR because the replay only gives a clear idea of what happened, the ref was an idiot to send him off for that

5 minutes ago, Asura said:

It has nothing to do with the VAR because the replay only gives a clear idea of what happened, the ref was an idiot to send him off for that

VAR isn't complete without the ref. I stand by my point that it won't change anything. The incompetence will always be there.

Just now, LaSambadeStGermain said:

VAR isn't complete without the ref. I stand by my point that it won't change anything. The incompetence will always be there.

yeah but it greatly reduces with the VAR, by a huge percentage

1 minute ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

It really doesn't, as proven so far. 

Just an example, what about the very first post in this very same thread? Do you think nothing good and justifiable happened with VAR in this incident in Feynoord match?

Just now, Asura said:

Just an example, what about the very first post in this very same thread? Do you think nothing good and justifiable happened with VAR in this incident in Feynoord match?

Congrats, you managed to find one good decision. I can find many more decisions that were wrong with the video right in front of the ref. 

There will be good decisions and bad ones. Nothing will improve though, I don't know if it will get worse but I'm sure more controversy will show up. Not because I think there will be more wrong decisions than before, but because the wrong decisions made will just be laughed up for being looked at again.

Have you ever been to a match in North America? They have TV's with the game up there, they don't show the replay of things though to avoid controversy. 

• The title was changed to Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Archived