talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

football forum

Just now, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Congrats, you managed to find one good decision. I can find many more decisions that were wrong with the video right in front of the ref. 

There will be good decisions and bad ones. Nothing will improve though, I don't know if it will get worse but I'm sure more controversy will show up. Not because I think there will be more wrong decisions than before, but because the wrong decisions made will just be laughed up for being looked at again.

Have you ever been to a match in North America? They have TV's with the game up there, they don't show the replay of things though to avoid controversy. 

I have been to games in north america, they dont show replays on TVs and also wont show the injury time on the clock, what does that have to do here?

I didnt manage to find one decision, I said as an example look in this very thread where we are discussing, you are free to post atleast few of the many more decisions that you claim went wrong. Also clearly yesterday's kaka incident was nothing to do with VAR. Var only showed he was pulling the other player's nose or face as a whole, it was a joke as they both were laughing but by the rule you are not supposed to hold other player's face and pull while the play was not active because it counts as aggression and "beating" a player and hence the red. Agree that doesnt have to be red because they were only joking and at the same time by the rule its a red so not sure what VAR has done wrong there

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Congrats, you managed to find one good decision. I can find many more decisions that were wrong with the video right in front of the ref. 

There will be good decisions and bad ones. Nothing will improve though, I don't know if it will get worse but I'm sure more controversy will show up. Not because I think there will be more wrong decisions than before, but because the wrong decisions made will just be laughed up for being looked at again.

Have you ever been to a match in North America? They have TV's with the game up there, they don't show the replay of things though to avoid controversy. 

Not exactly limited to North America!

Don't know what that has to do with VAR though?

Just now, Asura said:

I have been to games in north america, they dont show replays on TVs and also wont show the injury time on the clock, what does that have to do here?

I didnt manage to find one decision, I said as an example look in this very thread where we are discussing, you are free to post atleast few of the many more decisions that you claim went wrong. Also clearly yesterday's kaka incident was nothing to do with VAR. Var only showed he was pulling the other player's nose or face as a whole, it was a joke as they both were laughing but by the rule you are not supposed to hold other player's face and pull while the play was not active because it counts as aggression and "beating" a player and hence the red. Agree that doesnt have to be red because they were only joking and at the same time by the rule its a red so not sure what VAR has done wrong there

Are we all looking at the rulebook now xD

And it depends on what games you to go I guess. In Canada, the 2 grounds have TV's and they don't show the replays so the ref can't rewatch the decision. I prefer it that way. I don't see how VAR helps change referee incompetence. It gives them another chance to look at things but its still a human decision, not the machines.

And it depends on what games you to go I guess. In Canada, the 2 grounds have TV's and they don't show the replays so the ref can't rewatch the decision. I prefer it that way. I don't see how VAR helps change referee incompetence. It gives them another chance to look at things but its still a human decision, not the machines.

No, we are not looking the rule book, im saying its a red because of the rule but it doesnt have to be based on common sense as kaka was not trying to hit him, just like some of those handball calls in the box this is a red by the book but really doesnt have to be. All im saying is that has nothing to do with VAR.

I dont know if you are trying to look cool by opposing a rule everyone else is rooting for but your opinion about VAR is not correct, you are talking about a minute number of decisions that could be still affected by "human error" despite using the VAR but are not acknowledging the huge number of offsides, penalty calls and other important decisions the VAR can help the referees with. To put to a perspective you are talking about the 5-10% mistakes that the humans can still commit despite the VAR usage but im (or anyone in general) are talking about the other 90-95% times the VAR helps the referees take correct decisions and not rob teams of goals, points and trophies. 

6 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

It gives them a chance to see something that they may not have seen initially. The reason we don't have 'more examples' is that it has only been introduced to leagues recently.

Just now, Asura said:

No, we are not looking the rule book, im saying its a red because of the rule but it doesnt have to be based on common sense as kaka was not trying to hit him, just like some of those handball calls in the box this is a red by the book but really doesnt have to be. All im saying is that has nothing to do with VAR.

I dont know if you are trying to look cool by opposing a rule everyone else is rooting for but your opinion about VAR is not correct, you are talking about a minute number of decisions that could be still affected by "human error" despite using the VAR but are not acknowledging the huge number of offsides, penalty calls and other important decisions the VAR can help the referees with. To put to a perspective you are talking about the 5-10% mistakes that the humans can still commit despite the VAR usage but im (or anyone in general) are talking about the other 90-95% times the VAR helps the referees take correct decisions and not rob teams of goals, points and trophies. 

There is a difference between looking cool and wanting the best for the sport. VAR will fail. I'm sure of it.

Sure it helps the referees, but whats the end product? Making wrong decisions? 

Agree to disagree. I just think they shouldn't meddle with it.

1 minute ago, ScoRoss said:

It gives them a chance to see something that they may not have seen initially. The reason we don't have 'more examples' is that it has only been introduced to leagues recently.

I get that - but as proven it doesn't end incompetence. That will always exist. The only thing this will do in my eyes is add to the controversy for being able to watch it again and getting it wrong anyhow. Also wasting game time. I just don't see how it will work.

There is a difference between looking cool and wanting the best for the sport. VAR will fail. I'm sure of it.

Sure it helps the referees, but whats the end product? Making wrong decisions? 

Agree to disagree. I just think they shouldn't meddle with it.

How can you say they will still make wrong decisions despite the replays? Do you have any examples? 

One more example in the arsenal vs leicester match two days ago where there was a clear handball and a penalty for arsenal but the ref couldnt see it because of the bad angle, in a way arsenal were robbed of that penalty and had they used VAR that would have been corrected in 15 seconds. Now are you trying to say that if the ref saw the replay like we all saw on TV he would still be incompetent and not award the penalty? Are you not agreeing that there would have been one less bad decision?

1 minute ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I get that - but as proven it doesn't end incompetence. That will always exist. The only thing this will do in my eyes is add to the controversy for being able to watch it again and getting it wrong anyhow. Also wasting game time. I just don't see how it will work.

You keep saying its proven again and again but yet fail to show that proof, I asked you for a video (atleast one of the many you claim of) where VAR has failed and yet you havent posted one

Just now, Asura said:

How can you say they will still make wrong decisions despite the replays? Do you have any examples? 

One more example in the arsenal vs leicester match two days ago where there was a clear handball and a penalty for arsenal but the ref couldnt see it because of the bad angle, in a way arsenal were robbed of that penalty and had they used VAR that would have been corrected in 15 seconds. Now are you trying to say that if the ref saw the replay like we all saw on TV he would still be incompetent and not award the penalty? Are you not agreeing that there would have been one less bad decision?

As mentioned, the incompetence won't change. There have been many joke decisions as well as many good decisions. Sounds like normal refereeing to me. But again, agree to disagree.

Just now, Asura said:

You keep saying its proven again and again but yet fail to show that proof, I asked you for a video (atleast one of the many you claim of) where VAR has failed and yet you havent posted one

Why do I need to show proof? xD

Just go back and read the confederations cup and U20 World Cup threads where I ranted about many joke decisions. I don't need to show a video to prove my point, its your decision to believe me or not.

As mentioned, the incompetence won't change. There have been many joke decisions as well as many good decisions. Sounds like normal refereeing to me. But again, agree to disagree.

Dude come on, you keep saying only one thing.. "it wont change" but yet you dont say why and dont show any examples to support your statement.

I gave you a simple example about the first post in this thread and you said "just one" and then I mentioned about the arsenal vs leicester match and you clearly brushed it under the rug and say agree to disagree. I guess ill rest my case here

Why do I need to show proof? xD

Just go back and read the confederations cup and U20 World Cup threads where I ranted about many joke decisions. I don't need to show a video to prove my point, its your decision to believe me or not.

because you said so?  

So you cant post one single video proof out of the many incidents you claim to be happening... brilliant

21 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I was talking about the highlighted statement

1 minute ago, Asura said:

because you said so?  

So you cant post one single video proof out of the many incidents you claim to be happening... brilliant

Just now, Asura said:

I was talking about the highlighted statement

Yeah, I said I can. I didn't say I needed to. Again, its your choice if you want to believe me or not. Its like if I say that X footballer is brilliant and scores a lot, then I show you videos of his goals but after you watch a full match of him you realize he's crap. I don't have to show examples to prove a point. If you don't want to trust my judgement, that's up to you.

If I come on this forum, I choose to believe certain people and I don't believe others. Besides, its silly to find a video because people will just come at me saying "its just one decision!!!".

I'm not going to find a video. Read the threads of the previous tournaments and you'll find my rants. Its up to you if you want to believe me from there.

On 10/08/2017 at 8:33 PM, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Could be worse, I could support a team like Manchester United only because they win from thousands of miles away with no connection to the club and not have the joy of celebrating with the other fans in the stadium.

Why are you saying that to him when you support a team geographically further away than Man Utd?

Are you going to base it on the fact they've won more stuff?

Again... You want people to just respect you when it's based on a belief of yours. Where's the understanding of other people's beliefs when they conflict with yours?

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Why are you saying that to him when you support a team geographically further away than Man Utd?

Are you going to base it on the fact they've won more stuff?

Again... You want people to just respect you when it's based on a belief of yours. Where's the understanding of other people's beliefs when they conflict with yours?

I am more invested in Universitario. I go to the games and celebrate with the people. I am not connected in Napoli in any way, but that doesn't mean I don't like them or don't follow them. The word "support" comes out a lot of the time.

I also don't know who would gloryhunt a team that wins fuck all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

The best referee's and linespeople are the ones you don't notice, they could be men, women, Asian or be dressed in drag for all I care, as long as they're doing their job well. 

This is actually quite true. Also means the game was pretty good if the referee isn't the first thing that comes up as a talking point. 

• The title was changed to Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Archived