talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Things you don't like about Football

football forum

12 hours ago, Blue said:

You're saying that as a Brit.

Sure they aren't affiliated as part of the club, but that doesn't mean they aren't "supporters". I'm not affiliated at all with Universitario, never have been and neither has my family. That doesn't mean I don't support them. I do spend my money to go watch them, but how do you know the Australians don't when those said teams go on tour?

Again, most nations view football in their own traditional ways. For example, here in South America most people have a local team and a European team. Usually they are more invested in one over the other. Its our way to view football, while Australia and the USA have their own ways. 

The English have a very strict supporting policy, and that's fine that's the culture over there, but one day they'll have to learn that not every nation is like that. Especially with how much football has changed. My dad moved to South Africa in the 70's and he started following Leeds United, before that he was only invested in Universitario due to lack of technology or ways to follow English footy.

No I'm saying it as fact. Unless it is your local club or your family got you into supporting your club, then you have no connection to it. One day turning the tele on and going "ooooh Man Utd are good, I'm going to support them through thick and thin" does not make you a supporter, despite how hard you try.

I understand if you live somewhere where there is no football whatsoever and you will likely get caught up in a grey area where you have no connection to the club you follow but also have no club that you can have a connection to, but that's just the way it is. Over the past couple of years I've been getting into Rugby League and would say it's now probably my second favourite sport behind Football. I live in Sydney so I watch the NRL, I go to any game I can and my girlfriend bought me a Rabbitohs jersey. I follow them because it makes it fun to watch even if they are shit, but when I go back to the UK there won't be a club I can support. That's just the way it is. Do I like the Rabbitohs? Yes. Do I want them to win? Yes. Am I a proper supporter like their local fans? No, I'm not. I can only support a club I grew up and is fairly local to me and I don't have one so tough shit.

The same applies for Aussies supporting Liverpool or Arsenal, embarrassments actually, they'll rather fill the ANZ to watch an Arsenal friendly than support one of their cities own teams.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Danny said:

No I'm saying it as fact. Unless it is your local club or your family got you into supporting your club, then you have no connection to it. One day turning the tele on and going "ooooh Man Utd are good, I'm going to support them through thick and thin" does not make you a supporter, despite how hard you try.

I understand if you live somewhere where there is no football whatsoever and you will likely get caught up in a grey area where you have no connection to the club you follow but also have no club that you can have a connection to, but that's just the way it is. Over the past couple of years I've been getting into Rugby League and would say it's now probably my second favourite sport behind Football. I live in Sydney so I watch the NRL, I go to any game I can and my girlfriend bought me a Rabbitohs jersey. I follow them because it makes it fun to watch even if they are shit, but when I go back to the UK there won't be a club I can support. That's just the way it is. Do I like the Rabbitohs? Yes. Do I want them to win? Yes. Am I a proper supporter like their local fans? No, I'm not. I can only support a club I grew up and is fairly local to me and I don't have one so tough shit.

The same applies for Aussies supporting Liverpool or Arsenal, embarrassments actually, they'll rather fill the ANZ to watch an Arsenal friendly than support one of their cities own teams.

Ok well, I guess most families who traditionally support Liverpool or United have to stop supporting them in Hobart because they will introduce a new franchise that will give them a local team 9_9

Again, you're saying it as a brit. Whether you want to accept that or not is up to you, but people outside the UK don't think like that.

13 minutes ago, Blue said:

Ok well, I guess most families who traditionally support Liverpool or United have to stop supporting them in Hobart because they will introduce a new franchise that will give them a local team 9_9

Again, you're saying it as a brit. Whether you want to accept that or not is up to you, but people outside the UK don't think like that.

I'm sure Hobart has loads of Liverpool and Man Utd supporting families that go back generations

Football isn't Tennis, you don't just pick whichever one you like best.

3 hours ago, Danny said:

Football isn't Tennis, you don't just pick whichever one you like best.

The thing is, you can, though it's not seen as the most convential method for selecting 'your' football team. 

Due to the history of the game in this country, there are family traditions and deep ingrained links to Football Clubs in families that spans generations but there are other people who's choice is based on entirely different criteria. 

There's always been the "we'll race you back to London" chants aimed at Manchester United fans and I'm sure most of the United fans in the South aren't United fans because they're from a family of Mancunians and live in the South, it's likely that these people just picked them as a child as a result of United's success and it's stuck. In the same way there was a sudden boom in support for Chelsea in the past ten-to-fifteen years or how I'm now seeing kids of seven or eight in Essex head-to-toe in Manchester City gear. 

Who even determines who has a connection with a specific club and what are the criteria for such a connection? 

Why should someone follow a team from much nearer to their home town/birthplace if they have no connection to those teams either? Why should someone from Essex for example have to support West Ham, Tottenham or Arsenal if there are no links other than the fact they're slightly near where the person is from? 

46 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

The thing is, you can, though it's not seen as the most convential method for selecting 'your' football team. 

Due to the history of the game in this country, there are family traditions and deep ingrained links to Football Clubs in families that spans generations but there are other people who's choice is based on entirely different criteria. 

There's always been the "we'll race you back to London" chants aimed at Manchester United fans and I'm sure most of the United fans in the South aren't United fans because they're from a family of Mancunians and live in the South, it's likely that these people just picked them as a child as a result of United's success and it's stuck. In the same way there was a sudden boom in support for Chelsea in the past ten-to-fifteen years or how I'm now seeing kids of seven or eight in Essex head-to-toe in Manchester City gear. 

Who even determines who has a connection with a specific club and what are the criteria for such a connection? 

Why should someone follow a team from much nearer to their home town/birthplace if they have no connection to those teams either? Why should someone from Essex for example have to support West Ham, Tottenham or Arsenal if there are no links other than the fact they're slightly near where the person is from? 

Essex is a bit of a wasteland in terms of sport, it's the modern game unfortunately. Football IS about that connection, otherwise their names wouldn't be Arsenal or Manchester United, it'd be the Fancy Dan Gunners and the Mighty Red Devils.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Danny said:

Essex is a bit of a wasteland in terms of sport, it's the modern game unfortunately. Football IS about that connection, otherwise their names wouldn't be Arsenal or Manchester United, it'd be the Fancy Dan Gunners and the Mighty Red Devils.

Reminds me of team names on PES xD 

Merseyside Blue

West Glamorgan City

Lancashire Claret

22 minutes ago, Danny said:

It's close enough to London to have these links and many people in Essex tend to descend from some part of London and from what I gather, this does effect many's choice (though really they have none) into who they support. 

21 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

It's close enough to London to have these links and many people in Essex tend to descend from some part of London and from what I gather, this does effect many's choice (though really they have none) into who they support. 

I get that, completely understand it because the same happens with Chelsea around Slough.

43 minutes ago, Danny said:

When results arent going your way and people start moanin about "tippy tappy" football, as if lumping the ball forward to big Dave will make things any better.

Tippy tappy football can be a bit of a thing. I notice in England in particular habits of the CBs and the GK. They recreate Barcelona's famous triangle of Busquets, Iniesta, and Xavi.xD It drives me mental watching the GK, and centre-halves knock it around for ~20 seconds.

51 minutes ago, Spike said:

Tippy tappy football can be a bit of a thing. I notice in England in particular habits of the CBs and the GK. They recreate Barcelona's famous triangle of Busquets, Iniesta, and Xavi.xD It drives me mental watching the GK, and centre-halves knock it around for ~20 seconds.

We've played largely the same football for the past 3/4 years, the odd formation change but ultimately the same style. We have wing backs who drive forward, our goalkeepers have been able to kick the ball well whether it's passing with the defence or driving it to the wingbacks feet.

It has delivered us some of our best football and we're playing everyone we play off the park, but when we underperform or don't score as much goals as we should it's always "tippy tappy" and "no plan b".

The term tippy tappy basically means I don't understand football outside of a 4-4-2 because the 4-4-2 is the best formation in the world.

When people jump on the bandwagon and can't name a single player.

I honestly don't mind it most of the time but for example, Peru challenging to get to the World Cup.nothing wrong in supporting the team and being united as a nation. That's being patriotic and I like it.

What i don't like is the lack of respect for the players they haven't heard of. For example, Wilder Cartagena came on against Argentina and some people I saw were dubious because he plays for USMP. These players are giving it all for their nation, it's not fair to give them that disrespect.

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

Zonal marking at set pieces. 

I hate the fact that every goal conceded in zonal marking is evidence of zonal marking's weakness, but every goal conceded in man-marking is just an individual mistake. 

• Subscriber

When results aren't going your way and people start moaning about lumping the ball forward to big Dave, as if "tippy tappy football" will make things any better.

• Subscriber
On 10/2/2017 at 3:03 AM, Danny said:

We've played largely the same football for the past 3/4 years, the odd formation change but ultimately the same style. We have wing backs who drive forward, our goalkeepers have been able to kick the ball well whether it's passing with the defence or driving it to the wingbacks feet.

It has delivered us some of our best football and we're playing everyone we play off the park, but when we underperform or don't score as much goals as we should it's always "tippy tappy" and "no plan b".

The term tippy tappy basically means I don't understand football outside of a 4-4-2 because the 4-4-2 is the best formation in the world.

With you on that. Massive Dad cliche that one.

shirt sponsors

people that wank over the aesthetics of shirt sponsors 

nike templates

adidas three stripes dominating shirts

umbro and le coq falling waywards

cartoonish badges (arsenal's for instance)

new kits every year

fucking around with traditional colours

people that think red can't be on a chelsea kit

Why do Football fans abuse opposition players for no reason at all? Watched a few minutes of Liverpool - United and I think it was Martial, he went to get the ball for a United throw-in and the first few rows of Liverpool fans were going berserk, gesticulating, screaming and swearing at him. Why?

Fans focusing their attention on the rival's best players or singling out one in particular has been going on since football began...  Even more so in the era of internet where we all know the ins and outs of player's lives.  It's done to destabilise that particular player and I doubt there are too many that shout abuse that really mean it personally...  But like Danny says, things about players families and of the sort are under the belt and for me a step too far.  I still remember some of the horrible stuff shouted at Gary Lineker when he was a player in reference to his son who had a serious illness at the time...  Disgusting!

One of the more humorous ones that was seen in a bad light for me personally was the Adebayor one about washing elephants!

27 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Fans focusing their attention on the rival's best players or singling out one in particular has been going on since football began...  Even more so in the era of internet where we all know the ins and outs of player's lives.  It's done to destabilise that particular player and I doubt there are too many that shout abuse that really mean it personally...  But like Danny says, things about players families and of the sort are under the belt and for me a step too far.  I still remember some of the horrible stuff shouted at Gary Lineker when he was a player in reference to his son who had a serious illness at the time...  Disgusting!

One of the more humorous ones that was seen in a bad light for me personally was the Adebayor one about washing elephants!

A lot of people at the time and myself included, didn't see just how ignorant that chant was. Personally never needed to sing it but I never used to think there was much wrong with it when I was in school, but then kids can be cunts.

Archived