• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Things you don't like about Football

football forum

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Danny said:

They're still not real supporters regardless of how hard they try and how early they wake up to watch a team who represents a city that's in a country that's in continent that is entirely different to where you're from.

I understand wanting to support someone if you have no one to support, but they're still never going to properly be part of that club and will only ever be considered a foreign market for merchandise.

You're saying that as a Brit.

Sure they aren't affiliated as part of the club, but that doesn't mean they aren't "supporters". I'm not affiliated at all with Universitario, never have been and neither has my family. That doesn't mean I don't support them. I do spend my money to go watch them, but how do you know the Australians don't when those said teams go on tour?

Again, most nations view football in their own traditional ways. For example, here in South America most people have a local team and a European team. Usually they are more invested in one over the other. Its our way to view football, while Australia and the USA have their own ways. 

The English have a very strict supporting policy, and that's fine that's the culture over there, but one day they'll have to learn that not every nation is like that. Especially with how much football has changed. My dad moved to South Africa in the 70's and he started following Leeds United, before that he was only invested in Universitario due to lack of technology or ways to follow English footy.

8 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

It gave the team taking the first penalty an advantage. Both systems have advantageals and disadvantages. I think the new system is skightly fairer.

I respectfully disagree. The first team taking the penalty was arguably an advantage, but at the end of the day if you don't have the mental strength to convert them, they are ultimately the loser.

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I for one can't comprehend that. A team getting an advantage in penalties? It's all about mental strength, and I can already think of multiple teams that went second who have won a shootout. 

This new system just takes the piss in my opinion and has ruined the suspense. 

Well the statistics prove more teams win taking the first penalty. Just because teams do win taking the second doesnt mean there is no advantage.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

I respectfully disagree. The first team taking the penalty was arguably an advantage, but at the end of the day if you don't have the mental strength to convert them, they are ultimately the loser.

The second team has more pressure in them though. It's obvious if you think about it. Anyway if it doesn't make a difference then the abba system will make no difference. But I  think it does and I guarantee in ten years time we will see the evidence it is fairer. For some reason football fans always hate change. Thats one thing i don't like about football.

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

The second team has more pressure in them though. It's obvious if you think about it. Anyway if it doesn't make a difference then the abba system will make no difference. But I  think it does and I guarantee in ten years time we will see the evidence it is fairer. For some reason football fans always hate change. Thats one thing i don't like about football.

That's not the fault of the system though, that would be the fault of the team or management.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

That's not the fault of the system though, that would be the fault of the team or management.

Seriously mate this is going no where. Quote me in ten years when my point is proved

Just now, Lucas said:

International Breaks. Kills me.

Stop watching England and watch real international football then.

I see complaints like this all the time but they stick to UEFA. Boring. CONCACAF, CONMEBOL and even AFC is where its at.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

I see complaints like this all the time but they stick to UEFA. Boring. CONCACAF, CONMEBOL and even AFC is where its at.

There more competitive. South American games are good. I've sometimes wondered if it might be a good idea to have a domestic season and have an international season and play most of the games in a shorter space of time. If europe had a pre qualifying round it might be possible. I mean it might actually help the smaller teams. They will learn more from playing a team nearer their level than getting smashed every game

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

Ok, let me say that again incase I didn't quite make it clear the first time...

Completely interrupts the flow of club football which is what the majority of us mostly care about.

17 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well the statistics prove more teams win taking the first penalty. Just because teams do win taking the second doesnt mean there is no advantage.

Well of course statistics are going to show that. What did people expect, the likelyhood for teams that went first vs second to go on and win be dead even? 

6 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

There more competitive. South American games are good. I've sometimes wondered if it might be a good idea to have a domestic season and have an international season and play most of the games in a shorter space of time. If europe had a pre qualifying round it might be possible. I mean it might actually help the smaller teams. They will learn more from playing a team nearer their level than getting smashed every game

Me and most English immigrants go under the motto "anyone who moans about the international break has never seen CONMEBOL qualifying"

6 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Ok, let me say that again incase I didn't quite make it clear the first time...

Completely interrupts the flow of club football which is what the majority of us mostly care about.

Maybe in the UK. Like I told Danny that's what the English think.

Here in South America and even some in North America, they care more about international football. It really doesn't interrupt the flow either, just one matchday where things could be different. If you want to watch good football and don't feel you'll find that in europe, watch the South American or North American qualifiers. The former every match will be entertaining as anyone can win. The latter is the same but the standard is lower. Even Europe you'll get the occasional Italy vs Spain, France vs Netherlands etc. So there really isn't much to complain about.

5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Well of course statistics are going to show that. What did people expect, the likelyhood for teams that went first vs second to go on and win be dead even? 

I think there is quite a difference mate. Enough to show there is a link

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

Me and most English immigrants go under the motto "anyone who moans about the international break has never seen CONMEBOL qualifying"

Here in South America and even some in North America, they care more about international football. It really doesn't interrupt the flow either, just one matchday where things could be different. If you want to watch good football and don't feel you'll find that in europe, watch the South American or North American qualifiers. The former every match will be entertaining as anyone can win. The latter is the same but the standard is lower. Even Europe you'll get the occasional Italy vs Spain, France vs Netherlands etc. So there really isn't much to complain about.

To be honest no one forces  people to watch it. So if you don't like it jist don't watch it. I always watch England in final tournaments but don't make an effort to watch qualifying. If Im in I watch it if I'm not who cares. I find its better to watch England pissed lol.  

I don't personally think fans dont care about England. I think it depends which city you come from

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

To be honest no one forces  people to watch it. So if you don't like it jist don't watch it. I always watch England in final tournaments but don't make an effort to watch qualifying. If Im in I watch it if I'm not who cares. I find its better to watch England pissed lol 

But then they complain that "there is no football" bla bla bla. They just choose to watch the wrong games. All the best qualifying games are in the western hemisphere.

Just now, Blue said:

But then they complain that "there is no football" bla bla bla. They just choose to watch the wrong games. All the best qualifying games are in the western hemisphere.

I agree they're more competitive in general. But i think teams who don't regularly qualify find them more exiting. I expect people in wales amd Ireland are really excited about the possibility of going to a world cup

46 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Yes. If the old system was truly even, that's what we should see (provided a large enough sample size).

I'm not sure about the new system ruining the suspense. I think it'll take a while for viewers to get used to it and build a mental frame of reference, but shootouts will ultimately be just as suspenseful. I could be wrong, but I can't see an inherent reason why the new system should have less suspense.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Blue said:

1 hour ago, Blue said:

it's not about who's playing. it's the fact there is one.

Agree with Lucas they get annoying whether it's San Marino playing Lithuania or Germany playing Italy. Doesn't matter whether it's South American or North American football. I don't like that there are so many breaks in a season. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

it's not about who's playing. it's the fact there is one.

Agree with Lucas they get annoying whether it's San Marino playing Lithuania or Germany playing Italy. Doesn't matter whether it's South American or North American football. I don't like that there are so many breaks in a season. 

I don't think it disrupts things that much. It can be helpful for clubs on a bad run and unhelpful for a club on a good run but that's about it. I really think some people over think these things. Football isn't just about club football international football is important as well. In virtually all other sports internationald take presidence so for me its not much of a problem. 

• Administrator
Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

I don't think it disrupts things that much. It can be helpful for clubs on a bad run and unhelpful for a club on a good run but that's about it. I really think some people over think these things. Football isn't just about club football international football is important as well. In virtually all other sports internationald take presidence so for me its not much of a problem. 

didn't say international football wasn't important but I find it silly that only 2-3 games in to this season there was a break in domestic football for the qualifiers earlier this month. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

didn't say international football wasn't important but I find it silly that only 2-3 games in to this season there was a break in domestic football for the qualifiers earlier this month. 

I know what you mean but they have to play them at some point.  Like i said maybe it would be better to have an international season. I think its personal preference some people it will bother some people it won't.

Archived