talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UEFA Nations League

Just now, Kitchen Sales said:

The lower groups have a playoff to decide who wins an automatic qualification place for Euro2020.

One place available per section.

Ah right. I'm actually quite excited for this competition. My dad doesn't like it because it makes us a European country.  He voted out. xD

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Ah right. I'm actually quite excited for this competition. My dad doesn't like it because it makes us a European country.  He voted out. xD

Tell him not to worry, when we get relegated we will be in a group with Russia and Israel, kippers favourite countries :ph34r:

• Subscriber

We've got Croatia away on October 12th and Spain away on October 15th. Madness. But if we don't make the Europa League then I might try and do both. Never done an England away and got plenty of mates who do, often trying to tempt me into it.

With me having nothing booked this summer I am not half tempted to look at it.

20 hours ago, Dan said:

We've got Croatia away on October 12th and Spain away on October 15th. Madness. But if we don't make the Europa League then I might try and do both. Never done an England away and got plenty of mates who do, often trying to tempt me into it.

Have thought about this myself, but I’ve convinced myself that it’s not for me, I think. 

Firstly, it’s a bit like following a Millwall, a Leeds or someone equally of that reputation, I imagine, and you’ll be tarred with the same brush as the people that want to fight or want to stand in the streets singing about German Bombers being in the air, despite not being anything of the sort. I don’t really fancy making myself a bit of a target in a foreign country either, purely because I’m an English Football fan and because I’m viewed as a “Brit abroad” by locals. 

Also, I don’t really see myself as a typical England fan, tbh. Like, I don’t go on Facebook and complain about how the Football players sing the national anthem, or I don’t really want to stand in a town square in Vilnius, Zagreb or wherever singing about German Bombers or how I’d rather be there drinking vast amounts of beer rather than at work. 

I sometimes think this is the positive the other Home Nations have, they don’t have the reputation the English have and following those countries across Europe is probably quite a stress free affair, I imagine. 

If I knew I could see a bit of the continent, or perhaps the wider World, and watch Football, whilst staying relatively safe and not being judged or discriminate do against because of my birthplace, I’d probably look at it. But I think I’d rather go abroad and watch a La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, Eredivisie or Ligue Un game, tbh. 

I’ll possibly do one, maybe both of these Nations League games at Wembley, and I quite fancy a Summer’s evening watching the Nigeria friendly, but I don’t think I’ll bother with England away any time soon. 

• The topic was pinned
On 25/01/2018 at 00:13, Dan said:

Same here. Never done an away game with Wales and have got flights booked for Denmark (probably won't do Ireland though). Just got to sort out the accommodation now.

• Subscriber
23 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Have thought about this myself, but I’ve convinced myself that it’s not for me, I think. 

Firstly, it’s a bit like following a Millwall, a Leeds or someone equally of that reputation, I imagine, and you’ll be tarred with the same brush as the people that want to fight or want to stand in the streets singing about German Bombers being in the air, despite not being anything of the sort. I don’t really fancy making myself a bit of a target in a foreign country either, purely because I’m an English Football fan and because I’m viewed as a “Brit abroad” by locals. 

Also, I don’t really see myself as a typical England fan, tbh. Like, I don’t go on Facebook and complain about how the Football players sing the national anthem, or I don’t really want to stand in a town square in Vilnius, Zagreb or wherever singing about German Bombers or how I’d rather be there drinking vast amounts of beer rather than at work. 

I sometimes think this is the positive the other Home Nations have, they don’t have the reputation the English have and following those countries across Europe is probably quite a stress free affair, I imagine. 

If I knew I could see a bit of the continent, or perhaps the wider World, and watch Football, whilst staying relatively safe and not being judged or discriminate do against because of my birthplace, I’d probably look at it. But I think I’d rather go abroad and watch a La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, Eredivisie or Ligue Un game, tbh. 

I’ll possibly do one, maybe both of these Nations League games at Wembley, and I quite fancy a Summer’s evening watching the Nigeria friendly, but I don’t think I’ll bother with England away any time soon. 

Yeah I fully understand a lot of that, although like I say a lot of my mates do it and say it's great, and following Leicester in Europe was fantastic so I can imagine it would be similar.

I'm really warming to the concept of the Nations League to be honest. Not quite sure I like whole two bites at the cherry of qualifying, but think it gives far more competitive games and gives you a proper chance to assess where you are. I think time and time again we make this mistake in England, delude ourselves about how good we actually are simply because we've walked a piss easy qualifying group.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Same here. Never done an away game with Wales and have got flights booked for Denmark (probably won't do Ireland though). Just got to sort out the accommodation now.

When I went to Denmark I didn't actually stay over xD flew out there on the Wednesday at about 5am and flew back on the Thursday at a similar time, staying out throughout. Very nice place but expensive.

13 minutes ago, Dan said:

When I went to Denmark I didn't actually stay over xD flew out there on the Wednesday at about 5am and flew back on the Thursday at a similar time, staying out throughout. Very nice place but expensive.

I've heard it's expensive but may not get a chance to go again so got to take it really.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Dan said:

Just now, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I've heard it's expensive but may not get a chance to go again so got to take it really.

this for the Copenhagen game, @Dan? If so, I did the same - went out there in afternoon. Watched the dourest match with barely any shots. Back to the airport and slept there. Drinks were very expensive inside and outside the stadium.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

this for the Copenhagen game, @Dan? If so, I did the same - went out there in afternoon. Watched the dourest match with barely any shots. Back to the airport and slept there. Drinks were very expensive inside and outside the stadium.

Yeah. I paid £65 for the ticket xD

There are some brain dead people who follow England, I noticed that when I went to Lille.

However I stayed in Calais and the first night France were playing so the place was surprisingly good. We found this retro American diner, they let us put whatever music we wanted on YouTube and it basically turned into a mini home from home for loads of England and Wales fans. The French got involved too.

Only sour point was these three Villa fans in their 40s/50s starting on the locals which nearly caused a bust up with some French youths but when they realised we weren't there for a fight they started going on about Paul Pogba to my Man Utd supporting mate. The three Villa fans got arrested and everyone got on.

Ironically there was this one West Ham fan who was claiming to be an "experienced hooligan" trying to give everyone advice "if it kicks off lads I've got your back" etc, grown man for god sake, could easily have grandkids.

• 1 month later...

Italy, Poland and Portugal are set to compete for the right to host the finals of the new UEFA Nations League.

European football's governing body announced the three countries had all "expressed interest" in staging June 2019's semi-finals and final of the inaugural competition.

And as group rivals, they will settle the issue on the field providing there are no logistical issues.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 19/04/2018 at 10:10, Smiley Culture said:

England's game v Spain has been announced as a 7.45pm kick-off on Saturday 8th September. I'm very much debating doing this and potentially taking in a non-league 3pm somewhere in that area, maybe Wembley FC, Wealdstone, Hendon or somewhere like that. 

If Harrow Borough are at home they're right next to Northolt Park station(Chiltern line that goes to Wembley)

• 1 month later...

I have a question I was thinking about regarding this tournament. 

If you when your group, and get automatically into the Euro, do you still have to play during the Euro Qualifiers? If not, then that'll make sure the interests in extremely high in both. 

1 hour ago, Eco said:

I have a question I was thinking about regarding this tournament. 

If you when your group, and get automatically into the Euro, do you still have to play during the Euro Qualifiers? If not, then that'll make sure the interests in extremely high in both. 

If you win your group, you don't automatically qualify for Euro 2020.

39 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

If you win your group, you don't automatically qualify for Euro 2020.

Okay - but there is a route through this LoN to get qualified to the Euros, no? If so, do those teams have to still compete in the Euro Qualification? 

10 minutes ago, Eco said:

Okay - but there is a route through this LoN to get qualified to the Euros, no? If so, do those teams have to still compete in the Euro Qualification? 

They all compete in the qualifiers. Then after the qualifiers, the four best teams from each of the levels, who haven't qualified, play a mini tournament for qualification.

1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

They all compete in the qualifiers. Then after the qualifiers, the four best teams from each of the levels, who haven't qualified, play a mini tournament for qualification.

Gottcha - so they are using this as a 'net' for teams who do not qualify during the regular Euro Qualification Process. 

Archived