talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Who Will Be the 2017 FIFA Coach of the Year?

football forum

Just now, Asura said:

looks like teso found his soul mate... welcome aboard bozzi xD

What I was thinking haha, although I don't mind Bozzi. Could improve his spelling but he's alright.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks asura and lasamba ............   by the way asura, your avatar, is that kevin moore ??

back on topic, in terms of financial success, the award should go to Jardim.   the shopping that the other clubs has done with Monaco is such a treat. :P 

Just now, Teso dos Bichos said:

on point 100%. by the way Antonio, whats your top five coaches of all time?  im sure cruyff and arsene are on that list. 

Some are before my time, but I've been surrounded by football people throughout my childhood and from there comes my passion for the sport.

My top 5 would be...

1. Johan Cruyff
  2. Helenio Herrera
  3. Sir Matt Busby
  4. Brian Clough
  5. Pep Guardiola

I'm not going on success alone here...  I'm going on leaving a legacy and changing football from Cruyff (I could've added Rinus Michels as he was party to Cruyff's vision) who destroyed (thankfully) catenaccio which was invented by Helenio Herrera (why he's there) and from there we have the evolutions of attacking football played properly in Matt Busby who put Manchester United on the world football map and Brian Clough who took mediocre clubs and turned them into forces.  Guardiola took a philosophy and made it a moment in football history that will never be forgotten.

The thing is that this is all very subjective and anyone can come up with their own valid list.  I could make a top 20 that their positions would be disputable but not debatable on the fact they're there.  For me it's all about what a coach has given football in terms of evolutionary game play and not what they've won.

If we go on success alone, then my list would be different but my respect lowers.

3 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

pep ahead of Sir Alex? i know its your list, but im having i hard time believing guardiola can even come close to the greatest coach ever (imo) especially with the failures Pep has had with bayern and citeh. 

before, i didn't consider Sir Alex as a great coach coz he has only managed United for much too long.   but then, i compared him to another long serving coach - Arsene.   and it slapped me in the face to how GREAT Sir Alex is.    He transformed United from a mediocre club to what we see today - an institution - a brand.

maybe im in the minority but I would pick Pochettino as the winner amongst that list, sure they havent won anything but with the funds they have and the group of youngsters they have they played amazing football and gave chelsea a strong competition in the league. I havent seen much of Monaco except an odd match here and there so I wont pretend they were great but since they won the league with such young group of players Jardim is also a great shout. 

Cant see how Zidande is the best like some of you are calling, he pretty much has the best team in the world (sure he built a little of it) and an even better bench arguably. Dont even think he had great tactcics to begin with, all he did was rotate the players very well and winning the league is probably the best achievement last season for him. 

50 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

thanks asura and lasamba ............   by the way asura, your avatar, is that kevin moore ??

back on topic, in terms of financial success, the award should go to Jardim.   the shopping that the other clubs has done with Monaco is such a treat. :P 

no, his name is Charles Farewell aka Asura, he is an electronic music producer from France

34 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

pep ahead of Sir Alex? i know its your list, but im having i hard time believing guardiola can even come close to the greatest coach ever (imo) especially with the failures Pep has had with bayern and citeh. 

Read back at what I said mate... I emphasised that I'm not talking about managers that have won a lot alone. I'm talking about managers/coaches that have revolutionised football by bringing a style and a different way of playing the game to the fans. 

People are easily confused with these things like the best footballer in the world being the one that's scored the most goals. Read it again...

7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Read back at what I said mate... I emphasised that I'm not talking about managers that have won a lot alone. I'm talking about managers/coaches that have revolutionised football by bringing a style and a different way of playing the game to the fans. 

People are easily confused with these things like the best footballer in the world being the one that's scored the most goals. Read it again...

why not wenger then?

Or if I should rephrase the Q, where would you put wenger after that top 5 because clearly I read that he revolutionised english football a lot in the late 90s when I was not following this sport.

4 minutes ago, Asura said:

why not wenger then?

Or if I should rephrase the Q, where would you put wenger after that top 5 because clearly I read that he revolutionised english football a lot in the late 90s when I was not following this sport.

Wenger would definitely be in the top 10. But his work in the European game is dismal. 

wenger -   what's up with him ??  i mean, year after year, we've seen the same trend for Arsenal, on the first half of the season Arsenal is either on top or just 3 or 5 points adrift.   But come late in the season, they suddenly lose momentum and go bye-bye ....  why ???

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

the bundesliga is fun to watch but the race for the title is a given. pep failed, imo, by not winning the CL. he failed because he had an established rich team (thats why i rate Jose way ahead of pep), ffs its a given that they will finish ahead of their B team Borussia. The only thing unpredictable is what player borussia is going to sell Bayern next. 

I mean he won two domestic doubles, made the CL semi's 3 years in a row. Id say thats fairly good consistency, saying he failed because he didnt win the title is kind of a farce. Has Ancelotti already failed then? hes done less then Pep did in his first season. 

I would agree to Pep not being up there, if only because he became too fucking neurotic. I really do think he could have done more with the team that he inherited with us, but he's excessively stubborn and only expects the players to adapt to  his ideas instead of also looking to the strengths of the players he already has to also evolve his own ideas for the better. In many ways he's brilliant, but he's also far too stubborn for his own good. In a way I think that's been exposed too with his time at City. Now he has all the money in the world behind him and it hasn't meant much for City. You can say that it's only his first season, but I feel like that excuse is all too familiar. Not that I wish them or him any luck frankly...

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, TrstnFCB said:

I would agree to Pep not being up there, if only because he became too fucking neurotic. I really do think he could have done more with the team that he inherited with us, but he's excessively stubborn and only expects the players to adapt to  his ideas instead of also looking to the strengths of the players he already has to also evolve his own ideas for the better. In many ways he's brilliant, but he's also far too stubborn for his own good. In a way I think that's been exposed too with his time at City. Now he has all the money in the world behind him and it hasn't meant much for City. You can say that it's only his first season, but I feel like that excuse is all too familiar. Not that I wish them or him any luck frankly...

Yep i cant disagree with alot of what your saying. The biggest thing in his way seemed to be himself as far as tactics sometimes, i still have nightmares of that back 3 against Barca. That being said would you categorize his time as a failure here? i dont for many reasons, but thats just me. 

The city squad is quite different. They where shit when he arrived, ageing passed it stars,  you can toss him a bone for the first season but after whats been done this off season this is it. Theres no more excuses hes had enough time and more then enough money to produce, so well see what happens. 

18 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Yep i cant disagree with alot of what your saying. The biggest thing in his way seemed to be himself as far as tactics sometimes, i still have nightmares of that back 3 against Barca. That being said would you categorize his time as a failure here? i dont for many reasons, but thats just me. 

The city squad is quite different. They where shit when he arrived, ageing passed it stars,  you can toss him a bone for the first season but after whats been done this off season this is it. Theres no more excuses hes had enough time and more then enough money to produce, so well see what happens. 

Nah definitely not a failure, I wouldn't say that at all. We went too far with him as far as any club's standards go to categorise what we achieved under him as "failure." That said and as you alluded to, we definitely did fail spectacularly against clubs like Barça and Real, clubs that under Heynckes (or LvG for that matter!) just before we had no probably going toe-to-toe and beyond with. Some of those matches with him we looked practically like amateurs, and not only that but our players looked almost like they didn't care about the result and had no motivation. A lot of that had to do with his mentality and tactics, again as you said. His inability to adapt to an environment is his downfall imo. He wants instead that everything adapts to him. To me a truly good coach should be able to both bring a bit of himself as well as adjust to his environment and I think he's just far too neurotic for that.

Agreed that the squad he inherited from City was different than when he came to us, but at the same time I'll admit I liked to see him "fail" all the high standards that he and others seemed to expect from the team during that first season. There's this mythology around him like everything he touches turns to gold in an instant and I like to see that unraveled, plus I'm not exactly fond of City to begin with so it doesn't bother me much:D

When people come up with lists of all time greatest managers (in any criteria) and don't include Sir Alex Ferguson, they are best ignored.

Remember you have to think about his entire managerial history. Seems people can't look outside the big five European leagues.

On 8/18/2017 at 3:18 PM, SirBalon said:

Yeah, but the Allegri phenomenon is old now.  The great job was done a few years ago by him and if he was gonna win it, it should've been then.  Last year they reached the Champions League Final again but they were poorer than in the previous final they attended.

Jardim's job was much harder in France.  PSG are an entity apart from everything else in that country...  They have the backing of one of the richest cash states on the planet and also have institutional support.  Jardim has been silently doing a fantastic job when at one point they were considered a joke even by myself when we were ruined by them a couple of years back...  In the final stages of that Champions League campaign they were the team everyone wanted to get and we were utterly destroyed by them.  He is a very very good coach...  He reminds me of Diego Simeone only with a more aesthetic brand of football that is more pleasing to the eye.  Infact I would say that if he has a moderately good season in this new campaign, he'll walk into any elite job through his own merit.

Leonardo also did a good job in Portugal, both in Braga and Sporting.

He's definitely one of the 3 best Portuguese coaches, at this moment.

On 8/18/2017 at 4:47 PM, Asura said:

maybe im in the minority but I would pick Pochettino as the winner amongst that list, sure they havent won anything but with the funds they have and the group of youngsters they have they played amazing football and gave chelsea a strong competition in the league. I havent seen much of Monaco except an odd match here and there so I wont pretend they were great but since they won the league with such young group of players Jardim is also a great shout. 

Cant see how Zidande is the best like some of you are calling, he pretty much has the best team in the world (sure he built a little of it) and an even better bench arguably. Dont even think he had great tactcics to begin with, all he did was rotate the players very well and winning the league is probably the best achievement last season for him. 

Zidane's biggest achievement is to control Real's locker room, one of the most difficult's in the world. The players will do anything for him.

But I don't agree with you when you say he doesn't have great tactics. They have the best squad in the world, but a big part of the success they're having is down to him.

Ancelotti, with more or less the same squad, didn't achieved as much as Zidane. And Ancelotti is a top manager. 

14 minutes ago, ASF said:

Zidane's biggest achievement is to control Real's locker room, one of the most difficult's in the world. The players will do anything for him.

But I don't agree with you when you say he doesn't have great tactics. They have the best squad in the world, but a big part of the success they're having is down to him.

Ancelotti, with more or less the same squad, didn't achieved as much as Zidane. And Ancelotti is a top manager. 

exactly.   Madrid's players are prima donnas.    I remembered during the time of Manuel, that Guti insulted Pelligrini and the Board didn't even reprimand Guti, they ( board ) even sided with Guti.      If you're a Real Madrid coach, yes, it's a given that you have the best squad in the world money can buy but that also comes with the biggest egos in football.   Bursting those balloon-head of theirs' and making them listen to you is the biggest challenge of all ..................  and Zidane has managed to tame Ramos, made Ronaldo accept reality that he must be benched from time to time.   He made the entire squad ready at all times .....

The League Cup has as much prestige as the Europa League now, people using that as a barometer for success for managers who have successfully won major silverware throughout their careers are just trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes.

No doubt Mourinho is one of the greatest managers the game has ever produced, but winning the Carling Cup, the Europa League and finishing 6th at Old Trafford is not success. It maybe for clubs like Everton or Spurs and even Arsenal nowadays but it's not for United. Too much money was spent last season to consider that a success for me. Qualifying for the Champions League should be a given for that club, not their greatest achievement in 2-3 years. 

Archived