talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

La Liga - Week 1 Fixtures - 18-21st August 2017

football forum

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Girona v Atleti is a very interesting tie. Girona are up for the first time in their history but they've armed themselves pretty well to battle it out for survival and I can see them causing some upsets. Obviously the first game may seen them being nervous but nothing would surprise me later on in the season. 

4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Girona v Atleti is a very interesting tie. Girona are up for the first time in their history but they've armed themselves pretty well to battle it out for survival and I can see them causing some upsets. Obviously the first game may seen them being nervous but nothing would surprise me later on in the season. 

I´m hoping Douglas Luiz gets a start. He is a really nice player, has a lot of promisse.

Valencia won today, 1-0. I like how that team is shaping up, Balon. Kondongbia, Murillo and Gabriel will improve their team, and I´m a believer in Marcelino. He´s a very good coach.

• The topic was pinned
5 hours ago, El_Loco said:

I´m hoping Douglas Luiz gets a start. He is a really nice player, has a lot of promisse.

Valencia won today, 1-0. I like how that team is shaping up, Balon. Kondongbia, Murillo and Gabriel will improve their team, and I´m a believer in Marcelino. He´s a very good coach.

What Valencia need is stability and to stop making so many changes all the time. If Marcelino is there for the long run and they keep promoting from within, along with purchasing a mixture of talented young and more experienced players(as they have been doing this summer), then they could have a promising future.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, El_Loco said:

Kondogbia will fit in perfectly there I think but I did really like him at Inter so I'm surprised they dispersed of him. 

Valencia really lack in the forwards department though. I know Zaza scored but they can't rely on him too much as he can't carry that weight on his shoulders. He needs support or some healthy competition. 

6 hours ago, El_Loco said:

Yeah, a number of clubs have loaned Girona out some very promising young players and Douglas Luis is apparently one of them.  Guardiola knows he can't do a Barça type experiment at Manchester City and infact trying it in the Premier League is practically impossible.  Going to a club like Girona will give many of these young players the chance to shine without pressure.  It's going to be very interesting indeed.

For me Valencia is in a total mess to be honest and it's gong to take the club a while before they normalise the situation.  Kondogbia is a very good signing though because not only is he quality, but he's also tried and tested in La Liga.

Good game from Valencia and you can already see some marks of identity and style there with Marcelino at the helm, all the players working for one another as well. Things can change quickly at Valencia though so I guess we'll have a better indication after ten games and they've had a few inspired performances in recent seasons as well, only for them to be false dawns. You'd have to hope for their sake, Kondogbia is a good signing as they still are seriously short in the middle of midfield and I still think they lack quality all over. Still need signings for me.

One of the best players on the pitch last night for me? Again that man Jonathan Viera.

• Administrator

Griezmann sent off! Booked for diving and then immediately booked again for dissent presumably. 

Looked like contact to me and perhaps should have been a penalty. 

Goes from bad to worse for Atletico! 

• Administrator

Sevilla 1-0 Espanyol. 

Nolito direct from a corner adjudged to have gone over the line. Slightly controversial with no video goal line technology to rely upon. Not convinced it was fully over. 

• Administrator

Espanyol equalise! Leo Baptistao has been threatening to score all game and finally does so. Runs through the Sevilla defence and scores past Rico. He did it earlier in the game but had a shot saved. Sevilla defence gone to sleep! 

7 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Girona got nervous which is understandable considering they've never participated in La Liga before.  But they're gonna be a headache for a few this season I reckon.

In the end a very important point for Atleti.

It's two points dropped, though.  Let's be honest - RM and Barca aren't spilling any points to Girona this season...

They started out slow last season, and then never really were able to gain ground once RM got on a tear.

It looks as if Antoine Griezmann is going to find himself in a spot of bother.  In the 67th minute he was booked with a yellow card when the referee interpreted that he had dived to get a penalty and a possible red card for the Girona keeper.  It's not the dive that is the problem, but what he said to the ref after being booked...  According to the ref in his report (the referee's report is ultimate in any committee decision) he went face to face and accused the ref of cowardliness by saying; "You've shat yourself".  This could carry a 4 match suspension.

5 hours ago, oliveandblue said:

It's two points dropped, though.  Let's be honest - RM and Barca aren't spilling any points to Girona this season...

They started out slow last season, and then never really were able to gain ground once RM got on a tear.

It's not impossible and you should never underestimate bottom half teams. People seem to have it in their mind that every smaller Spanish team is a stroll in the park, but it was dropping points against bottom half teams that was Barcelona's main problem in la liga last season. The team could win at the Bernabeu, Vicente Calderon, Mestalla, San Mames and Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan, but then lost against Alaves at Camp Nou, Deportivo at El Riazor, couldn't score against Malaga home or away, drew away to Real Betis...

In Pep's first season we saw a 1-0 loss against Numancia, never underestimate any team as they are in the first division for a reason.

Look at Eibar the other year or Alaves last season. Newly promoted sides who stepped up and showed no fear, which has enabled them to establish themselves and cause problems to teams who are far superior to themselves. Alaves reached the copa del rey final last season and Eibar have been flirting with a Europa spot for a couple of seasons.

12 hours ago, Stan said:

Espanyol equalise! Leo Baptistao has been threatening to score all game and finally does so. Runs through the Sevilla defence and scores past Rico. He did it earlier in the game but had a shot saved. Sevilla defence gone to sleep! 

Baptistao has always been a talent but never really truly gotten going due to moving to the wrong clubs(such as Atletico too soon) and a few injury woes along the way. He seems to have found a club he's settled at now though in Espanyol(who have some good players at the moment, they are starting to build a decent little team there) and I think he'll have a strong season.

As for Sevilla, I thought N'Zonzi had gone to Juve about a month ago and was adamant he was their player. I was shocked when he was playing last night. Sevilla will do well to keep him(even though he was at fault for their goal), although they need a striker I think. Ben Yedder is a decent option(although could be improved on), but Muriel doesn't convince me as someone who will score enough goals for them. I could be wrong, as he showed positive signs last night in how he's quick and has great movement to get behind defenders and get himself in scoring positions, but his end product needs work and judging by his goal scoring record pre-moving to Sevilla, it's not the greatest. He was unlucky though last night as he forced some top saves from Pau Lopez and even hit the inside of the post.

Speaking of strikers, Celta look like they could have found a gem in Maxi Gomez. The 21 year old Uruguayan had a very good scoring record out in South America and scored 2 on his debut for Celta yesterday, despite them losing after the (controversial) comeback from Real Sociedad. They could well have gotten themselves a bargain there.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived