talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

• Subscriber

Meh.

Vettel himself said it was a no brainer of a decision and it was. It was the correct thing to do for a team wanting to win the World Championship. Lewis was faster and may have got past him anyway, this way there were no potential crashes.

If the title race is wrapped up with races to spare it wouldn't surprise me to see Lewis let Bottas past in a race, if they get chance to do such a thing.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Cannabis said:

If Bottas is pissed about today then he should have been faster when team orders had no business being used. He's got the same car as Lewis yet has taken until Russia to have a nailed on chance of winning? Where was this pace in Australia, Bahrain, China etc? Not that I'm bashing Valtierri, I think he's a solid set of hands and a great part of the Mercedes machine but you simply can't be upset about what happened today given how the title race is looking. 

In theory, Hamilton can DNF twice now and still win the title, had he come second today then he couldn't. It's basic strategy. Can you imagine the rattlement if Lewis let Bottas back through and then lost the title by a point in Abu Dhabi? Nah, not having it. Mercedes were spot on today and had the roles been reversed then Bottas would be the first to celebrate, as would Vettel/Kimi etc. etc.

To be fair if things had gone Valterri's way earlier in the year the picture could have been very different. He was a few laps from potentially winning in Bahrain, broke down in Austria (admittedly he was behind Lewis who also broke down) and of course Azerbaijan he was leading with 2 laps left and his tyre blew out on him. There were other bits and pieces as well that I've forgotten.

By the time they hit Germany he was called off from challenging Hamilton because they were neck and neck with Vettel at the time and had to back their lead driver, then in Hungary he was also sacrificed as Lewis' wing man, both of those races were a knock on effect from bad luck earlier in the year, as was today.

Luck aside there have equally been numerous races where he's been completely outclassed by Hamilton and Vettel so I'm not saying he'd have been in the title picture and actually his bad luck at the start of the year has played into Mercedes hands as they can concentrate on Lewis but I sympathise with him. I think Bottas is nearly as talented a driver as Rosberg was, where he lacks is that I don't think he has the real desire to wrestle the team off Hamilton like Nico did.

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

McLaren forgot to tell Pirelli which tyres they wanted for this race weekend... xD You couldn't make it up...

At least with Williams you know that it's just the car that's shit, their organization, pit stops etc. is still top-notch. But McLaren just exploded into a total shitshow as a whole. 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, nudge said:

McLaren forgot to tell Pirelli which tyres they wanted for this race weekend... xD You couldn't make it up...

surely you'd think Pirelli would have chased this up and said to McLaren they haven't submitted their choices? If they did, fair enough. McLaren still stupid as fuck anyway xD 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

At least with Williams you know that it's just the car that's shit, their organization, pit stops etc. is still top-notch. But McLaren just exploded into a total shitshow as a whole. 

It's especially funny considering how they claimed they have the best chassis at the start of the season and how they blamed Honda for previous season; yet they are a complete mess overall xD 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

surely you'd think Pirelli would have chased this up and said to McLaren they haven't submitted their choices? If they did, fair enough. McLaren still stupid as fuck anyway xD 

Nah - they just allocated the default tyre sets (4 softs - 5 mediums - 4 supersofts) instead :D