talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Have you listened to it already? I saw it published earlier today but haven't had time to listen to it yet...

I am as we speak. Very interesting, especially how close he apparently was to sign for Ferrari. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, MUFC said:

I'm not a big fan of current Le Mans prototype cars overall but I loved the Porsche 919 Hybrid... The best part was the Evo version that Porsche created when they were leaving WEC and showed what the car is capable of when it's not restricted by the regulations. I posted it last year in the Motorsports thread but it's just amazing... Just listen to the way it sounds and see how glued it is on the track with all that downforce! Amazing; what a monster... :x Could watch it taking on Eau Rouge again and again and again.

Spa record lap:

And here's the Nordschleife record lap:

Pure sex.

• Subscriber
59 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Never really watched Le Mans, did Porshe use to dominate?

In the modern era? Audi used to dominate for more than a decade in the early 2000s, then Porsche returned and won three years in a row, both withdrew shortly after the Dieselgate though and Toyota is now the only manufacturer running in the LMP1 class...the rest is privateer teams and non-hybrids so Toyota doesn't have any real competition. Overall, Porsche is the most successful manufacturer in the history of Le Mans.

Production-based hypercars are expected to replace LMP1 as the top-class starting with 2020/21 season! 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Not much F1 chat compared to pre-season, early season and between races as there was. Due to Mercedes dominance, do most members just see this season as a write off now? 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Not much F1 chat compared to pre-season, early season and between races as there was. Due to Mercedes dominance, do most members just see this season as a write off now? 

Personally, I've been on the road a lot this month so barely have any time to catch up with everything, including F1... 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Personally, I've been on the road a lot this month so barely have any time to catch up with everything, including F1... 

why you been sat on the road for a month? Just messing, personally I want Ferrari to catch up this season, get everything right so that next season they can challenge from the word go.

• Subscriber
Just now, MUFC said:

why you been sat on the road for a month? Just messing, personally I want Ferrari to catch up this season, get everything right so that next season they can challenge from the word go.

Protesting against Mercedes dominance :P 

Ferrari catching up would definitely be better for F1; I admire Mercedes achievements and their dominance is well deserved but it does get a bit boring for the spectator. I personally don't mind it much - a much bigger problem for me is the lack of actual racing on track.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Protesting against Mercedes dominance :P 

Ferrari catching up would definitely be better for F1; I admire Mercedes achievements and their dominance is well deserved but it does get a bit boring for the spectator. I personally don't mind it much - a much bigger problem for me is the lack of actual racing on track.

Read from a Ferrari fan a few weeks back, he said the current guy at Ferrari who replaced Maurizio. He was responsible last season for upgrades etc, and that he was responsible for the upgrades mid-season which went completely wrong. Resulting in Ferrari going backwards and having to go back to the previous design/components, not sure if this is correct or not lol.

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Read from a Ferrari fan a few weeks back, he said the current guy at Ferrari who replaced Maurizio. He was responsible last season for upgrades etc, and that he was responsible for the upgrades mid-season which went completely wrong. Resulting in Ferrari going backwards and having to go back to the previous design/components, not sure if this is correct or not lol.

You mean Binotto? I'm not sure how true that is; he was in Ferrari for a long time already and they built at least two cars capable of fighting for the wins under him before this season. Maybe the problem is him leaving the position of a technical director where he was doing a good job and becoming the team principal? 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, nudge said:

You mean Binotto? I'm not sure how true that is; he was in Ferrari for a long time already and they built at least two cars capable of fighting for the wins under him before this season. Maybe the problem is him leaving the position of a technical director where he was doing a good job and becoming the team principal? 

Yeah I agree, but upgrades can be hit and miss, and Mercedes do get stronger second half of the season, Oh Toto.

Speaking of Toto, I would love Merc to be pushed really hard all the way, even losing the championship. Reason is we have never seen how Toto is under real pressure, imagine the second half of the season with 5 races to go. Its neck and neck or a Mercedes driver is 10 points off the lead, what would he be like? Would he crack or have a meltdown? Would he try mind games, or put more complaints in?

Nothing against him, just to see how he is in a completely different situation/scenario.

Edited by MUFC

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Yeah I agree, but upgrades can be hit and miss, and Mercedes do get stronger second half of the season, Oh Toto.

Speaking of Toto, I would love Merc to be pushed really hard all the way, even losing the championship. Reason is we have never seen how Toto is under real pressure, imagine the second half of the season with 5 races to go. Its neck and neck or a Mercedes driver is 10 points off the lead, what would he be like? Would he crack or have a meltdown? Would he try mind games, or put more complaints in?

Nothing against him, just to see how he is in a completely different situation/scenario.

A big fan of Toto. Given his background, I think he would do just fine under pressure...

• Administrator
3 hours ago, MUFC said:

Majority of the races have been incident-free and yes, I'd say Mercedes' dominance is making it a bit dull. The race last weekend had a bit of spice to it given what happened with Vettel but contentious moments seem to be few and far between. The fact no-one appears close to challenging them short-term or in the long-run makes it hard to get very excited about what goes on. 

Not writing off the season though as will still watch some races here and there when I can. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Majority of the races have been incident-free and yes, I'd say Mercedes' dominance is making it a bit dull. The race last weekend had a bit of spice to it given what happened with Vettel but contentious moments seem to be few and far between. The fact no-one appears close to challenging them short-term or in the long-run makes it hard to get very excited about what goes on. 

Not writing off the season though as will still watch some races here and there when I can. 

Oh incidents and talking points.

• Subscriber

There isn't much to discuss is there? Last year was much better as until the last 6 or 7 races there was still a title fight. Doesn't look like Bottas is quite up to it unfortunately. Only way this championship is in doubt is if Hamilton has at least a couple of mechanical failures or major incidents.

Need to catch up on the last couple of BOTG podcasts.