talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

• Administrator

Sorry, but WTF Helmut?!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52091905

Red Bull motorsport boss Helmut Marko said he advised his drivers to become infected with coronavirus while the season is in hiatus.

The 76-year-old said he had the idea to bring his Formula 1 drivers and juniors together in a camp, which "would be the ideal time for the infection to come".

"They are all strong young men in good health. That way they would be prepared whenever the action starts," he said.

The rest of Red Bull management were against the idea, which was abandoned.

"Let's put it this way: it has not been well received," Marko said.

The Austrian was speaking in an interview with his country’s television channel ORF, in which he added: "We have four Formula 1 drivers and eight or 10 juniors, and the idea was that we would organise a camp to mentally and physically bridge the dead time.”

The camp, he said, would have been organised to ensure the drivers were in the best possible physical shape once the season starts again.

The start of the F1 season has been thrown into disarray by the coronavirus, with the first eight races called off and the next events in Canada, France, Austria and Britain in June and July all under threat.

F1 boss Chase Carey has said he is aiming to reconfigure the season starting in the summer and trying to fit in as many as 15 to 18 races out of the original 22. The season could run into January next year to fit in as many events as possible.

Marko said: "If there is a racing season with 15 to 18 races, it will be very, very tough. There is no possibility to improve your fitness during the season. So it's actually ideal to use this time now."

What a bizarre thing to suggest. 

• Haha 2

• Administrator

This is great stuff

Mercedes-AMG HPP has begun production of the breathing aid its F1 team developed with engineers at University College London and clinicians at UCLH.

The Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) device is used to deliver oxygen to a patient's lungs without using a ventilator.

They are already used in UK hospitals but are in short supply.

The company produced nearly 600 CPAP devices on Monday and is hoping to increase that to 1,000 a day.

The government has ordered 10,000 of the breathing aids, which are being made on machines that would normally produce Formula 1 pistons and turbochargers

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Don't even need to watch the video to give you my conclusion: Incredible talent hindered by an insufferable character. 

Was he toxic as people made him out?

Just now, MUFC said:

Was he toxic as people made him out?

I'd say so. It first became clear when Hamilton became a threat to him at McLaren, then he and Briatore had his teammate crash for him at Renault, then he developed an inexplicable hatred for Vettel because he couldn't beat him in the Red Bull, and of course all the moaning during his McLaren days. Not to mention all of his wrong career choices. Later teams seemed to reject him simply because he created a bad atmosphere within the team. Great talent with an unfortunately even greater ego. McLaren now have a much better pairing with Sainz and Norris. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I'd say so. It first became clear when Hamilton became a threat to him at McLaren, then he and Briatore had his teammate crash for him at Renault, then he developed an inexplicable hatred for Vettel because he couldn't beat him in the Red Bull, and of course all the moaning during his McLaren days. Not to mention all of his wrong career choices. Later teams seemed to reject him simply because he created a bad atmosphere within the team. Great talent with an unfortunately even greater ego. McLaren now have a much better pairing with Sainz and Norris. 

I find it interesting though how he doesn't have this reputation in any of the other series he's participated. IndyCar, WEC, Dakar; haven't heard a bad word about him from anyone there nor seen examples of his infamous "attitude". Maybe a lot of it is due to F1 surroundings...

• Upvote 2

Just now, nudge said:

I find it interesting though how he doesn't have this reputation in any of the other series he's participated. IndyCar, WEC, Dakar; haven't heard a bad word about him from anyone there nor seen examples of his infamous "attitude". Maybe a lot of it is due to F1 surroundings...

Or maybe because he hasn't competed in those for nearly two decades, or because the whole competitive and team atmosphere thing isn't as or pivotal there. Could be though. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Or maybe because he hasn't competed in those for nearly two decades, or because the whole competitive and team atmosphere thing isn't as or pivotal there. Could be though. 

It's kind of what I was implying. The team atmosphere (and the general atmosphere in the paddock) outside F1 is usually much healthier with less hostility and toxic competition. Especially in WEC or Dakar where it's mostly about the teamwork and not about the individual anyway. If he was such a cunt as portrayed though then one would expect him to struggle in any team, this is definitely not the case so it makes me wonder if it's more specific to the nature of F1 than to Alonso's personality.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, nudge said:

It's kind of what I was implying. The team atmosphere (and the general atmosphere in the paddock) outside F1 is usually much healthier with less hostility and toxic competition. Especially in WEC or Dakar where it's mostly about the teamwork and not about the individual anyway. If he was such a cunt as portrayed though then one would expect him to struggle in any team, this is definitely not the case so it makes me wonder if it's more specific to the nature of F1 than to Alonso's personality.

Yeah, but he still has done things in F1 that were utter cuntish though. So I think his personality or well, he ego, is to blame too. 

Like implying that Germans are only good at skiing. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Well he never rated Vettel for sure xD 

He truly didn't, and he developed a deep hatred for him. I remember an interview with Sebastian where he said: "Well, I wouldn't mind having a coffee and a chat with Fernando, but he doesn't like me for some reason." Vettel clearly admired Fernando but he showed him nothing but hate. xD

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
32 minutes ago, Tommy said:

How many can you name? I got 24/25 after 4 minutes and then gave up after 10 minutes because I couldn't think of the last driver. :( 

https://www.planetf1.com/quizzes/formula-1-podium-finishers/

Who was the last one you couldn't think of?

I spent 10 minutes thinking of who the heck had 55 podiums. I think I completely blocked him out in my head xD

Still annoyed that I couldn't find the last one. 

I spelt Heikki Kovalainen in so many different ways because I was convinced that it's got to be him. But I guess his podiums were before 2010.