talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

Just now, nudge said:

ESPN absolutely shows it! They use Sky Sports F1 coverage. https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/26082657/espn-f1-tv-broadcast-schedule-2019

Also Formula 1 offers an official online subscription service to F1TV Pro where all F1 races (including all practice and qualifying sessions as well as all supporting series) are being broadcast live.

Wow - I swear I was looking for this last weekend as you all were talking about it and I was bored to bits, but didn't see ANYTHING. 

I guess I need a favorite driver, now. haha

• Subscriber
Just now, Eco said:

Wow - I swear I was looking for this last weekend as you all were talking about it and I was bored to bits, but didn't see ANYTHING. 

I guess I need a favorite driver, now. haha

If you're looking for an American connection then you could start with Haas as they are the first American team to compete in F1 since the 80s. 

Just now, nudge said:

If you're looking for an American connection then you could start with Haas as they are the first American team to compete in F1 since the 80s. 

Interesting...

49 minutes ago, Tommy said:

He could watch the Netflix documentary. Loads of new F1 because of it, especially from America.

What's the name of it? 

• Subscriber
Just now, Eco said:

Perfect! 

Question, who the best up and coming driver? Is there a relegation or promotion type deal between this and F2? 

Charles Leclerc for sure. 

There's no such thing as relegation or promotion; you have 10 teams (also called constructors as each team is required to build their own chassis) at the moment taking part in F1, each team has two cars/two drivers. Most teams have their own driver academies or driver development schemes where they sponsor young upcoming drivers in lower feeder series.

F1 is the highest class of single-seater motor racing. F2 is one step below on the ladder; then you have various F3 series below that, then F4 series, then various karting competitions etc. They all differ in organisation and rules and regulations but essentially, those junior formula series are spec series, meaning that all cars in the series are essentially the same so there's better opportunities for young drivers to demonstrate their skills hoping to make impression to climb through those junior single-seater ranks and "graduate" into F1 eventually. 

• Upvote 1

I'll be completely honest, this is a lot more of a major sport than I thought. I'm looking up Haas right now and it's intense, especially considering I don't think they are any good..? 

10 minutes ago, Eco said:

I'll be completely honest, this is a lot more of a major sport than I thought. I'm looking up Haas right now and it's intense, especially considering I don't think they are any good..? 

They are. They came into the sport and were directly fighting for points, which is amazing. A few years prior there were new teams that were 3 or 4 seconds behind the rest of the grid. They didn't last long, and Haas is already fighting to be the "best of the rest" behind Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull. 

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

They are. They came into the sport and were directly fighting for points, which is amazing. A few years prior there were new teams that were 3 or 4 seconds behind the rest of the grid. They didn't last long, and Haas is already fighting to be the "best of the rest" behind Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull. 

On a more serious note, is there a sport that Red Bull hasn't gotten into ?

7 minutes ago, Eco said:

On a more serious note, is there a sport that Red Bull hasn't gotten into ?

Nope, but I guess it's not that bad in F1, since teams always relied on investors and sponsors. But even though I was already a Sebastian Vettel fan when he drove for Red Bull, I wouldn't have worn any of their merchandise with the fucking Red Bull logo on it :D

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Eco said:

Are there any American drivers? 

Has there been any decent American drivers? 

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

What about Scott Speed? :usa::ph34r:

• Subscriber
Just now, Eco said:

Are there any American drivers? 

Has there been any decent American drivers? 

No current American drivers in F1. There's one in F2 (Juan Manuel Correa) who is Ecuadorian-American but he's racing under the US flag and license.

As for the second question, that's why I mentioned the Andretti family before :P Mario Andretti was a great driver and even won one F1 championship. His son competed in F1 later in the 90s but struggled. 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

No current American drivers in F1. There's one in F2 (Juan Manuel Correa) who is Ecuadorian-American but he's racing under the US flag and license.

As for the second question, that's why I mentioned the Andretti family before :P Mario Andretti was a great driver and even won one F1 championship. His son competed in F1 later in the 90s but struggled. 

yeah - in terms of racing, the Andretti's are a household name here. 

I'll be team Haas, though. I love a good underdog. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Eco said:

Time out. @Tommy get involved here also. 

I love podcasts. Are there any good F1 podcasts? 

Hmm, not sure, I think the ones I know would be too technical for a "newbie". As I said, the Netflix documentary brings you up to speed and gives you the knowledge you need to get started. 

Just now, Tommy said:

Hmm, not sure, I think the ones I know would be too technical for a "newbie". As I said, the Netflix documentary brings you up to speed and gives you the knowledge you need to get started. 

Screw it - give'em to me. 

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Well, there's the one from the official F1 youtube channel, Beyond The Grid

Missed Apex Podcast

And @nudge 's favourite :ph34r:, former F1-Champion Nico Rosberg's podcast Beyond Victory

Perfect - I listen to about 5 hours of podcast a day so I need something new. 

Also, if you know any good German football ones (could be in German), I'd greatly appreciate it.