talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, nudge said:

Why not? He's half Thai, has a Thai passport (dual nationality) and also had a lot of support from Thailand throughout his racing career. So part of it is heritage but it's also a very smart choice from the marketing point of view; taking up the role of the first Thai driver since the 50s helps attract both sponsors and fans in Asia and makes him stand out more than being just another British racing driver.

Well he was born in London, grew up in England etc. but makes sense for those reasons, I just always wondered, thought it must be a marketing decision.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Apparently the Russian GP will be held at Sochi for the last time next year and will then be moved to another circuit. According to early reports it could be moved to the circuit that is currently being built in St. Petersburg. 

Igora-Drive19.481fd920d0c2118867d2271b2a

2 hours ago, nudge said:

Apparently the Russian GP will be held at Sochi for the last time next year and will then be moved to another circuit. According to early reports it could be moved to the circuit that is currently being built in St. Petersburg. 

Igora-Drive19.481fd920d0c2118867d2271b2a

I kind of like that layout. Like a milder version of Suzuka. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I kind of like that layout. Like a milder version of Suzuka. 

Looks decent but still a typical Tilke design I think... Can't wait for Alex Wurz to design more tracks so maybe they'll be more exciting :D 

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Alex Wurz designs tracks? Examples? :o 

Yes, he runs a motorsport consultancy business with his father that does a lot of things including track designs :) 

The one to be finished soon is Kymi Ring in Finland; it'll host MotoGP race there starting next year and they've already been in talks with F1 for the future too.

kymiring-profile-min.png

KymiRing18.1b479eb0f4f67bc87a88ad9fe0821

He's also working on the new circuit in Saudi Arabia which is a very ambitious project as it's expected to be the longest one in the world with several radical features and numerous elevation changes. The plans are to have it ready for 2022 season.

Another one he's been linked with is a new circuit in Rio.

• Wow 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yes, he runs a motorsport consultancy business with his father that does a lot of things including track designs :) 

The one to be finished soon is Kymi Ring in Finland; it'll host MotoGP race there starting next year and they've already been in talks with F1 for the future too.

kymiring-profile-min.png

He's also working on the new circuit in Saudi Arabia which is a very ambitious project as it's expected to be the longest one in the world with several radical features and numerous elevation changes. The plans are to have it ready for 2022 season.

Wow, nice. Would be cool to have something different than the same boring Tilke designs. Although St. Petersburg looks decent. 

I'd definitely try to attend a Finnish GP. Minimal talking, maximum drinking. 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Wow, nice. Would be cool to have something different than the same boring Tilke designs. Although St. Petersburg looks decent. 

I'd definitely try to attend a Finnish GP. Minimal talking, maximum drinking. 

It's been mostly tested by motorbikes so far but they also had a run wth F4 car:

Looks very interesting to me. Nice elevation changes, different types of corners, the flow looks good.

• Wow 1

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, nudge said:

kymiring-profile-min.png

Is that straight longer then the one in Baku?

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, MUFC said:

Is that straight longer then the one in Baku?

I don't think so; the one in Kymiring is supposed to be 1.2 km whereas the one in Baku is 2.2 km I believe.

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Beyond the Grid, with Cyril Abiteboul. Nobody gave it a listen? :ph34r:

Depends if it has subtitles :ph34r:

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

Interesting detail from a recent F1 Fan Voice survey re grid penalties. Apparently they have been considering alternatives to the current system of grid penalties due to it getting criticism. And - I kid you not - they are now asking the fans if they prefer leaving things as they are or would they support introducing a ballast penalty.

The first alternative is to leave things as they are. The advantages of this are probably that, after some seasons, it is understood and also, from time to time, we may see a battle as a front racing car claws its way from the back of the grid. Among the disadvantages is that once a penalty has been applied and the car is at the back of the grid, or a car is at the back of the grid for other reasons then there is an attraction to make further strategic changes which is outside the spirit of the regulations.

The second alternative is to add ballast to the cars that have infringed the rules. This could be graduated depending on the seriousness of the offence (for example 5kg for a turbocharger change and 15kg for an engine change). The exact numbers would be calculated to give a similar end of race effect to the current grid penalties. The advantages of this is that it is simple, and cars start in the position that they qualify in. The disadvantage could be that unless the commentators make mention of the ballast penalty during the race (as they do in BTCC for example), it may leave spectators wondering why a driver is slow. It may also show a driver as being slower than his team mate when this is not necessarily the case.

o.O

• Subscriber

Found a very interesting read on the Autosport forums today; one of the posters there (moreland) has been posting sets of graphics comparing driver race pace throughout the season using linear modelling and calculated from their "clean" laps in every race corrected for fuel load and tyres. I'll post the link to the thread as it's a very interesting detailed read with much more stats and comparisons but anyway here's the current overall average race pace so far:

2019-yearly-pace.png

More info at https://forums.autosport.com/topic/212607-race-pace-2019