talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

Oh man, this race was great. I was so nervous towards the end when it looked like Lewis might be able to catch up. But in the end, a very comfortable win for Seb! Let's keep it going! 

And yea, about Fernando's DNF

Looks like he's still a grade a cunt. Always has been. Fantastic driver no doubt, but one hell of a twat as a person. 

Hahaha the Nasr thing is hilarious.

As for Alonso shitting on Honda, I think it's justified. I think McLaren and their mechanics are fed up with this partnership but they can't go public, but Alonso is virtually unsackable. He can apply the public pressure on Honda.

Let's be honest, the power units Honda has supplied for the last 3 years are shambolic. This latest one is such a massive regression, and with a company as large as Honda it's pretty unacceptable.

It was a poor decision to leave Ferrari on Alonso's part, but Honda's ineptitude is literally pissing away a legendary racer's ability to compete and making a storied F1 team look like a total embarrassment. The entire McLaren team is being let down by Honda. While it might be arguably unprofessional and hurting the brand... it's also unprofessional to send a team out to compete without being properly equipped and it hurts the brand when that team can't finish a race.

Honda, imo, look a total joke right now.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:03 PM, JOSHBRFC said:

When are they going to fuck Honda off and just admit that this has all been one big mistake?

I think Honda can go back to the glory days of McLaren-Honda of the 80s-90s, but it will take a serious attitude change from them. They no longer had any of their old F1 Engineers working, they lacked expertise and they've refused to bring in external people to help them get back into the sport. And they're really struggling for it.

Ultimately, I hope Honda does get it together - it's better for the sport with more of the auto-industry involved. But it will require a big culture change from them for them to enjoy success in F1 again. And it really is embarrassing how bad their power unit has been for McLaren. If a car struggles to even make it through testing because of its engine, there will never be suitable testing for the chassis. The focus will always be on increasing the reliability of that power unit... and that's not even addressing the complete lack of power they're facing. I think Alonso needs to bail ship ASAP though. He doesn't have a lot left in his career, I'd like to see him do a bit more than struggle to finish races as he winds his career down.

So how would we rank the cars right now? I think it's tough to tell who's better between Ferrari and Mercedes, Red Bull is comfortably third IMO, then I think it's pretty up in the air so it'd be interesting to see how we all rank them... and at the back of the pack Sauber and McLaren, in that order. For my middle of the pack: I'd go with: Williams, Force India, Toro Rosso, Haas, and then Renault.

• Upvote 1

On 20.4.2017 at 7:30 PM, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think Honda can go back to the glory days of McLaren-Honda of the 80s-90s, but it will take a serious attitude change from them. They no longer had any of their old F1 Engineers working, they lacked expertise and they've refused to bring in external people to help them get back into the sport. And they're really struggling for it.

I agree, but not only did they refused to bring in external people, but they also don't learn from their competitor's products. At the end of the 2014 season McLaren send Honda their spare Mercedes engine. 

Ultimately, I hope Honda does get it together - it's better for the sport with more of the auto-industry involved. But it will require a big culture change from them for them to enjoy success in F1 again. And it really is embarrassing how bad their power unit has been for McLaren. If a car struggles to even make it through testing because of its engine, there will never be suitable testing for the chassis. The focus will always be on increasing the reliability of that power unit... and that's not even addressing the complete lack of power they're facing. I think Alonso needs to bail ship ASAP though. He doesn't have a lot left in his career, I'd like to see him do a bit more than struggle to finish races as he winds his career down.

Alonso's problem is the amount of enemies he's made with his conduct. He can never go back to Ferrari. Both Vettel and Ferrari really don't like him. Renault GP is his only realistic option. 

So how would we rank the cars right now? I think it's tough to tell who's better between Ferrari and Mercedes, Red Bull is comfortably third IMO, then I think it's pretty up in the air so it'd be interesting to see how we all rank them... and at the back of the pack Sauber and McLaren, in that order. For my middle of the pack: I'd go with: Williams, Force India, Toro Rosso, Haas, and then Renault.

I think Mercedes is clearly better than Ferrari. The difference is not as big as it used to be, but still Mercedes can win every qualifying with ease and they only struggle with the race on a few circuits where it's extremely hot.

Edited by True Bender

5 hours ago, True Bender said:

I agree, but not only did they refused to bring in external people, but they also don't learn from their competitor's products. At the end of the 2014 season McLaren send Honda their spare Mercedes engine. 

Alonso's problem is the amount of enemies he's made with his conduct. He can never go back to Ferrari. Both Vettel and Ferrari really don't like him. Renault GP is his only realistic option. 

I think Mercedes is clearly better than Ferrari. The difference is not as big as it used to be, but still Mercedes can win every qualifying with ease and they only struggle with the race on a few circuits where it's extremely hot.

I don't know how to neatly split quotes up like you did... so I'll just go one by one.

I didn't know that about McLaren, Honda and the spare Mercedes engine. It's interesting, reverse engineering to try to build upon an already good system is something Japan has done very well in the automotive industry. I honestly don't know what Honda is trying to prove by refusing to look outside of Honda for the answers.

Definitely agree that Alonso's conduct has really hindered him, the way he left Ferrari probably damaged his chances of ever being in one of the best cars in a F1 season for the rest of his career. I agree, Renault is probably the most realistic option. I think he'd do well in a Williams car though, I think he's could outperform Massa right now - and I don't have a whole lot of faith in $troll. I also think Ricciardo will take Kimi's spot at Ferrari soon, personally.

I think it's very close between Mercedes & Ferrari. Mercedes looks better in testing, but in an actual races Vettel and his car have looked outstanding.

• Subscriber

Vettel on pole for Russian Grand Prix. Raikkonen and Bottas behind him within 0.1 seconds. Poor qualifying from Hamilton in 4th.

Ferrari's first qualifying 1-2 since France 2008 and Kimi almost got his first pole since that race.

OMG Massa get out of the way! :dam::cardY:

On 1.4.2017 at 1:27 PM, True Bender said:

Mercedes do still have the best powertrain, hence they are still favourites to win every qualifying, but their suspension is their achilles heel. If the temperatures are getting too high, the rear wheels can't handle all the torque. Thus Ferrari are still strong during the race, even if they didn't win the qualifying.

Season predictions:

1. Shanghai: With avg temperatures around 15°C and possible rain Hamilton/Mercedes are prolly going to win. CHECK

2. Sachir: This track is even warmer than the Australian GP. -> Vettel/Ferrari CHECK

3. Sotchi: See "Shanghai" -> Hamilton/Mercedes CHECK

4. Barcelona: similar to "Sachir", but rain is a little likelier here. -> Vettel/Ferrari

5. Monaco: You simply cannot overtake here, especially this season. -> Hamilton/Mercedes

6. Montreal: On a normal day -> Hamilton/Mercedes, but too many safety cars can ruin the race for him like they ruined the racec for Vettel in 2011

7. Baku: Similar to "Montreal" -> Hamilton/Mercedes

8. Spielberg: Similar to "Montreal" -> Hamilton/Mercedes

9. Silverstone: Even colder and rainier than Montreal -> Hamilton/Mercedes

10. Budapest: Vettel/Ferrari

---- Season break ----

3/3 B|

As much as I wanted Seb to win, I'm very happy for Valtteri to get his first win. He's just an all around nice and likable guy. Good to see Kimi on the podium again as well. 

Also: Get fucked, Lewis! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned