talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

• Subscriber

End of an era, what a legend. Sheer talent wise, still the best driver on the grid for me. Hope to see him in WEC full time next season, and also hope he manages to get that triple crown in the near future. 

• Subscriber

A shame though it's been inevitable for a while now that he'll end his career with just two world championships. It's amazing that he became the youngest ever world champion in 2005 and backed it up with a second title the following year, and now retires after 12 more years in the sport where he has generally been considered the most complete driver in the sport, without adding to his totals.

He, along with Vettel and Hamilton are the greats of the post-Schumacher era. Generally I would have put him ahead of the other two but it's become very, very close. Still, I'd put him slightly ahead of the other two at this stage so it's a bit of a shame that Seb and Lewis will get remembered (rightly) in the Prost, Senna, Schumacher, Fangio tier of F1 champions while Alonso will leave with two titles and end up on a par with Fittipaldi, Hakkinen as far as the history books are concerned when really he's a cut above.

I got into F1 properly in 2008 and I wasn't his biggest fan at the time but the way he drove to win the Singapore and Japan Grands Prix and just came alive at the end of that year showed me that he was really the boss while Hamilton and Massa were busy trying to hand the championship to each other and Kimi was nowhere to be seen. Since then it's just been near miss after near miss and bad decisions with awful timing. He's cursed every team he's joined. He was superb though in 2010 when he got within a race of winning the title when Red Bull had the dominant car, he won the 2011 British GP which is one of the two races I've been able to attend live personally, and he was the best driver again in 2012 when the Ferrari was an absolute dog but he pulled out two wins in particular in the rain at Malaysia and from about 12th on the grid in Valencia where he just bitch slapped his way through the field and got a bit of luck with Vettel breaking down.

At McLaren we've not seen the best of him but he has become a lot more likeable. Too bad things end this way but a great driver and I'll miss him.

• Subscriber

Sainz to McLaren has been touted for a while. If it's to be Stroll and Perez at Force India that leaves a potential spot at Williams for Ocon, especially as he's still in the Mercedes stable and they have a relationship with Williams. Otherwise I can't see why Haas wouldn't want to replace Grosjean with Ocon.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be complaining if he got a seat at Mercedes, Ferrari (again) or Red Bull. But the latter was impossible, because Christian Horner stated that Alonso is a trouble maker who disrupts the teams harmony, and that's why they didn't want to sign him. 

Well. I kind of understand what Horner is on about.

I mean he cant really say "We cant give Alonso the seat, because he's a far better driver than Max Verstappen, whose father's cock we have in our mouth, and Alonso wont really be mild with the utter bollocks that goes on in Red Bull under the premises of 'race strategy', so we cant really take him"

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Tommy said:

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be complaining if he got a seat at Mercedes, Ferrari (again) or Red Bull. But the latter was impossible, because Christian Horner stated that Alonso is a trouble maker who disrupts the teams harmony, and that's why they didn't want to sign him. 

He's been complaining about the state and direction of F1 for years, and he's absolutely spot on. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Tommy said:

Ah yes because Red Bull have always had such great team harmony over the years. Vettel and Webber, Multi 21, Vettel being driven out by Ricciardo, Webber retiring without telling the team, Helmut Marko overseeing Kvyats funeral at the earliest possible opportunity and it's all been sunshine and roses between Max and Daniel 😂.

Alonso is right in his criticisms of the sport but it's a huge exaggeration to say you can predict the top 15. Perhaps he should put his money where his mouth is and join our prediction league? I'm very fond of the guy but his team radio messages often hang very close to the line of going from "driven natural winner" to "crybaby who feels sorry for himself". I hope he doesn't go on like this for the next few months and end up looking bitter on his way out of the sport.

• Upvote 1

https://soymotor.com/noticias/lawrence-stroll-quiere-lance-en-force-india-desde-spa-953106?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Translation

Lawrence Stroll, the buyer of Force India, is keen to place his son, Lance, as soon as possible on the team, to help develop the car by 2019, which can mean a dance of seats for Spa-Francorchamps and a joy for Robert Kubica.

A consortium led by Lawrence Stroll , father of Lance , has been in charge of saving Force India . Although the team has not confirmed the signing of the Canadian pilot for 2019, rumors suggest that it will be the new partner of Sergio Perez who will announce its renewal in a few days.

So far all the ads talk about next season, however, today Motorsport Magazine journalist Mark Hughes says there may be changes before, including at Spa-Francorchamps , next week, as Stroll father is interested in his son get on the VJM11 as soon as possible to work towards 2019.

The departure of Stroll to Force India in the middle of the season would leave a free seat in Williams , which could be a gift for Robert Kubica and his fans, who so much wish his return.

If Stroll occupies the seat of Esteban Ocon in Belgium, the Frenchman has two possibilities: running in the place of Lance in a Williams with poor performance or going to McLaren as a substitute for Stoffel Vandoorne . The second option is, in fact, one that Toto Wolff has already searched more than once for his pilot. The Austrian, worried about the critical situation of Force India, tried first to place the Frenchman in Renault - but Daniel Ricciardo was finally left with the place in the diamond mark - and then, in McLaren, a team that has only confirmed Carlos at the moment Sainz for 2019. According to the Belgian media outlet DH, Vandoorne's seat is in danger, since it is likely that Ocon will occupy it from Spa.

In the last few days some movements have been known for the 2019 season. Fernando Alonso will not be, Daniel Ricciardo will drive for Renault and Carlos Sainz will be at McLaren, but beyond that, there is still a large part of the grid to be confirmed and the hand by Lawrence Stroll can have great influence on the lineups of next season.

• Subscriber

Wonder which team it is. It's not going to be Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull, Toro Rosso or Renault.

Could it be Williams? Maybe.

McLaren? Doubtful but possible.

Haas? He certainly fits their profile of past driver signings.

Force India? Highly doubt it.

Sauber? Doubt it again.

• Subscriber

I really like Alonso and always have,  it's a shame he never won another World Title. If he would have stayed at Ferrari maybe he would have as he's a superior driver than Vettel.

It's funny though how people overrate Alonso to being even better than Lewis. Alonso struggled to handle a rookie Hamilton and has been inferior to him ever since.

Edited by JOSHBRFC