talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Burnley Complete £15m Chris Wood Signing

Burnley have signed striker Chris Wood from Leeds United for a club record transfer fee, thought to be about £15m.

The 25-year-old scored 44 goals in 88 appearances after joining the Championship side from Leicester City in July 2015.

The New Zealand international ruled himself out of Leeds' match against Sunderland on Saturday amid speculation about his future.

Wood, who is Sean Dyche's sixth summer signing, joins on a four-year deal.

He has found the net once in three appearances for Leeds this season, but said he is now relishing his chance in the Premier League.

"I've had tastes of being in there but I've never had the chance to give it a proper bash," said the former West Brom youngster. "Coming here I feel I've got a proper opportunity to do that. I've never started a Premier League game and this is what I want to do.

"This is a club that wants to stay in the Premier League for years to come and it's going that way."

Wood is eligible to play for Burnley in the EFL Cup after being an unused substitute in Leeds' opening-round win over Port Vale and will be available for Wednesday's second-round derby at Blackburn.

Burnley's previous record signing was January recruit Robbie Brady, whose fee could reach £13m.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41001685

Can he get the goals to keep Burnley up?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's a decent player but there's definitely question marks over whether or not he can do it in the Premier League. He'll score a few I think but I don't think he's the type of player who will set the world alight.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, True Blue said:

Depends on how he adapts to the Premier league i guess

He's played in this league before with us so it's a case of seeing how he's developed since then as opposed to adapting. He wasn't that ruthless back then and didn't use his physical ability or large stature to great effect. From his time at Leeds it certainly seems he's become a bit more consistend. Burnley now have a pacy forward in Gray and a target man in Wood. Traditional top 2.

2 goals for us I remember him for - a stunning volley funnily enough against Burnley to seal promotion and the equaliser against Everton in our first game back in the Premier League to draw 2-2. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Hasn't  Gray gone Watford?

Wood is classic Championship striker, don't think he'll make the step just like Ellington, Murray, Hernandez etc didn't 

Oh yeah xD had a mare there. Couldn't even name you their other strikers then other than Jon Walters if he counts as one. 

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Hasn't  Gray gone Watford?

Wood is classic Championship striker, don't think he'll make the step just like Ellington, Murray, Hernandez etc didn't 

Glen Murray was great under Alan Pardew. Selling him was a dark day for this football club.

Archived