talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Game Of Thrones

football forum

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Agreed. I massively regret my decision.

The first episode is always going to be mainly set up. The rest will be worth getting up for I'm sure.

I have watched now but will wait for others to catch up before I start discussing.

Thought the episode was rather boring up until the end when Sam reveals Jon's identity. Jon represents a unity of all westeros being both Stark and Targaryan, so if people find out, it will only create more conflict between himself and Dany. Jon being who he is, I suspect won't tell anyone soon. However this gives me more and more certainty that Dany's fate will lie in demise. The vision of her going to the iron throne that's covered in Snow, unable to touch it, becomes more and more clearer.  

Edited by Cicero
  • Upvote 2

I've been pondering over this piece from the books since I saw today's episode...

The Legend of Lightbringer

Darkness lay over the world and a hero, Azor Ahai, was chosen to fight against it. To fight the darkness, Azor Ahai needed to forge a hero's sword. He labored for thirty days and thirty nights until it was done. However, when he went to temper it in water, the sword broke. He was not one to give up easily, so he started over. The second time he took fifty days and fifty nights to make the sword, even better than the first. To temper it this time, he captured a lion and drove the sword into its heart, but once more the steel shattered. The third time, with a heavy heart, for he knew before hand what he must do to finish the blade, he worked for a hundred days and nights until it was finished. This time, he called for his wife, Nissa Nissa, and asked her to bare her breast. He drove his sword into her breast, her soul combining with the steel of the sword, creating Lightbringer, while her cry of anguish and ecstasy left a crack across the face of the moon.[1]

According to the Jade Compendium, since that day the sword became as warm as Nissa Nissa was and burned fiery hot during battles. Lightbringer was able to boil the blood of a monster when Azor Ahai thrust the sword through the belly of the beast. After steam poured from the beast's mouth and its eyes melted, its body burst into flame.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

I've been pondering over this piece from the books since I saw today's episode...

The Legend of Lightbringer

Darkness lay over the world and a hero, Azor Ahai, was chosen to fight against it. To fight the darkness, Azor Ahai needed to forge a hero's sword. He labored for thirty days and thirty nights until it was done. However, when he went to temper it in water, the sword broke. He was not one to give up easily, so he started over. The second time he took fifty days and fifty nights to make the sword, even better than the first. To temper it this time, he captured a lion and drove the sword into its heart, but once more the steel shattered. The third time, with a heavy heart, for he knew before hand what he must do to finish the blade, he worked for a hundred days and nights until it was finished. This time, he called for his wife, Nissa Nissa, and asked her to bare her breast. He drove his sword into her breast, her soul combining with the steel of the sword, creating Lightbringer, while her cry of anguish and ecstasy left a crack across the face of the moon.[1]

According to the Jade Compendium, since that day the sword became as warm as Nissa Nissa was and burned fiery hot during battles. Lightbringer was able to boil the blood of a monster when Azor Ahai thrust the sword through the belly of the beast. After steam poured from the beast's mouth and its eyes melted, its body burst into flame.

I don't know if it was this forum or TFF, but I mentioned this. That for Jon to fulfill the prophecy, he would have to kill Dany.

Not really surprised or disappointed with the first episode. It was bound to be used to set up things, and I thought it did a good job. This season is like Avengers Infinity War and Endgame. It doesn't matter how good or bad they are, we are all emotionally tied to the series that we will enjoy every bit of it. 

On a funny note, my wife introduced her mum to the series last year, and even watched most of the episodes with her. They made a pact to watch the new season together. She was going to stop over at her place this evening to watch the show. But my wife secretly tried to cheat during her office lunch break, only to find a check mark of watched on the episode in her streaming account. Mother in law has accepted her crime. 

• Haha 2

• Subscriber

Yeah the first episode was the first episode. Reunions and some half decent lines, alot of bad one liners, Bran is still weird as fuck.

Jon is in quite conundrum will be interesting to see what he does with the information, I tend to think like Cicero he wont saying anything right away and either him or Dany will die before it comes up is my guess, there is also the big battle that seems to be coming sooner rather then later and maybe that impacts things too

Edited by Viva la FCB

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, Harry said:

Did anyone else seriously question the overall plausibility of Theons episode 1 story line?

Yeah I expected that to take more than two scenes to be resolved. A lot of this endgame stuff they've rushed to focus on the main story. I hope GRRM does manage to get the books out as I'm much more interested in how he deals with these last few twists and turns.

On a wider note, go back to seasons 6 and 7 and look at how rushed the Greyjoy stuff has been. The Kingsmoot and Euron Greyjoy's backstory are so much better in the books where they've been padded out. Hate to be that book wanker but it's true. The showrunners have said they'd happily have carried Game of Thrones on for longer but the company were keen for them to get it wrapped up in 8 seasons so a noticeable amount of plotlines (Stannis, Greyjoys, Dorne etc) have been rushed to a conclusion and lost the emotional resonance they might have had.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Yeah I expected that to take more than two scenes to be resolved. A lot of this endgame stuff they've rushed to focus on the main story. I hope GRRM does manage to get the books out as I'm much more interested in how he deals with these last few twists and turns.

On a wider note, go back to seasons 6 and 7 and look at how rushed the Greyjoy stuff has been. The Kingsmoot and Euron Greyjoy's backstory are so much better in the books where they've been padded out. Hate to be that book wanker but it's true. The showrunners have said they'd happily have carried Game of Thrones on for longer but the company were keen for them to get it wrapped up in 8 seasons so a noticeable amount of plotlines (Stannis, Greyjoys, Dorne etc) have been rushed to a conclusion and lost the emotional resonance they might have had.

Yeah. I hated the greyjoy plotlines though so wasnt sorry to see that. The shortening of the dornish plot bugged me though. Book 4 just annoyed me in general tbh with it lacking in so many of the major characters.

Interestingly GRRM said he most regrets the omission of lady stoneheart from the show. I thought that was among the dumber sub plots di didn't miss it at all.

Do you recall if the plot of Sam taking heartsbane from Horn Hill occurred in the books..? I don't think it did and I'm interested why they've bothered to write it in... Is that the sword that becomes lightbringer? Will he use it himself? Will he give it to Mormont? 

Edited by Harry

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Do you recall if the plot of Sam taking heartsbane from Horn Hill occurred in the books..? I don't think it did and I'm interested why they've bothered to write it in... Is that the sword that becomes lightbringer? Will he use it himself? Will he give it to Mormont? 

Sam stealing it would ultimately leave Beric teaching Jon how to yield it. To which Jon must kill Dany to do so. Remember that everyone has been led here for a reason. This is what I expect to happen. 

Edited by Cicero

37 minutes ago, Cicero said:
  Hide contents

I still don't see what particular significance the Tarly sword should have over any of the other Valyrian steel swords owned by the major families.

John already has longclaw.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Harry said:

Do you recall if the plot of Sam taking heartsbane from Horn Hill occurred in the books..? I don't think it did and I'm interested why they've bothered to write it in... Is that the sword that becomes lightbringer? Will he use it himself? Will he give it to Mormont

Not sure he made it as far as Horn Hill in the books. I think he only just arrived in Oldtown. Can't remember to be honest.