talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Game Of Thrones

football forum

Just now, 6666 said:

Without the s at the end.

Ahhhh

Don't get the complaints about the night king dying "easily". He isnt a god. He is a man who was given powers. A formidable opponent, absolutely. Unbeatable, I never thought so. Not too arsed about knowing a backstory either. Does he have to have a motivation other than death and destruction? 

I liked that it was Arya who did it an all. Thought for a moment that him and John were gonna have a fight (with John being on fire) but in the end it's another important character who did the deed. Fan service? Maybe, but this fan service worked. 

The only complaint I have is the lack of deaths. Brienne and Sam should have died for certain. Makes no sense to keep them alive as they feel like they have served their purpose. Game of Thrones went from a show that didn't have loyalties to any character to one which is scared to kill fan favourites off. Bit annoyed by the shithousery on show from the show runners. A few hard hitting deaths would have made the battle feel that bit more desperate. 

Other than that complaint, I was very happy with the episode. What a spectacle it was, the most impressive episode of the show so far for me. It was absolutely epic.

Edited by Rick

An hour into the episode and I just want it to end, ok? I don't like this, I don't want to see any of this. Stop, ok? Can we go back to politics and schemes? That was nice. I don't like any of it now. 

• Haha 1

Just now, 6666 said:

Has someone hacked Tommy's account?

It would seem so.

For the record, I think Maisie Williams is very attractive outside of the show. In the show, the hair pulled back and costume does her no favours. She looks loads younger.

40 minutes ago, Tommy said:

An hour into the episode and I just want it to end, ok? I don't like this, I don't want to see any of this. Stop, ok? Can we go back to politics and schemes? That's was nice. I don't like any of it now. 

This is such an excellent description of how I also felt an hour into the episode.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

You know what I liked most about that episode. The music when things start to go to shit, I really like how Ramin Djawadi creates tension from simple progressions. First, Light of the Seven and now the Night King piece. I still think Light of the Seven is a far better piece for all the chaos it masks but that last composition is great too.

31 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

You know what I liked most about that episode. The music when things start to go to shit, I really like how Ramin Djawadi creates tension from simple progressions. First, Light of the Seven and now the Night King piece. I still think Light of the Seven is a far better piece for all the chaos it masks but that last composition is great too.

Yeah, the music was amazing in that episode.

@Fairy In Boots nah man, the darkness bit was a legitimate problem. I mean look at the Lord of the Rings. They had big night fight scenes with better visibility. The makers here had a huge budget and they kinda wasted that. I didn't know who was fighting who for long spells of the episode. 

Agree on everything else. The episode was quality otherwise. 

• Subscriber
32 minutes ago, Tommy said:

He's from Duisburg! A city right next to mine! I never knew that until last year or so xD

I didn't know he was from Germany either haha. The name kind of throws it off but man what a genius.

10 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I didn't know he was from Germany either haha. The name kind of throws it off but man what a genius.

We gave the world Hans Zimmer and Ramin Djawadi. That sould make up for all the bad stuff we did in the past :ph34r::4_joy:

Yea, I really need that track from the end,

when the Night King approached Bran.

Btw, another funny thing is, that Jon probably thinks he killed a wight dragon by screaming at it :4_joy:

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

We gave the world Hans Zimmer and Ramin Djawadi. That sould make up for all the bad stuff we did in the past :ph34r::4_joy:

Yea, I really need that track from the end,

Hide contents

when the Night King approached Bran.

• Wow 1

11 hours ago, Tommy said:

Reveal hidden contents

It's not about her looks or anything. It's because of what she did!

I just have a general dislike of Arya. Extremely overrated character. Had a  boring faceless storyline, best character in the show was killed instead of her and now she makes the night king look like a bit of a joke.

I definitely preferred how the show was before last season. Smarter and braver storytelling.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, RandoEFC said:
  Hide contents

So it was a good episode, very tense, however I have a few complaints to get out of the way.

- the lighting coupled with the effects made it difficult to see what was going on, sort of killed some of the parts of it. Fine if you're going to do that in a few scenes but for that much of an episode seemed insane.

- I don't mind characters having plot armor but if you're not going to kill people off, don't show them in seemingly hopeless situations every 5 minutes. The 6th time this episode I see Samwell swamped by an insane number of wights I'm not nervous that he's going to die anymore. This happened countless times with main characters, Brienne, Dany and Jorah on the field, Grey Worm, then in the crypts and in the godswood all of the nameless characters looked overwhelmed then people like Theon just survive for several more minutes single handedly. Theon had fingers chopped off by Ramsay, Davos is also missing all of the fingers off one hand remember, Jaime is missing his entire sword hand and Samwell is a renowned terrible fighter.

- Missing a major death for me. Edd, Jorah, Theon, Melisandre fair enough but someone like Jaime or Brienne needed to go for the battle to feel more like it really cost a lot emotionally.

- Why was Bran warging for so long? To find the Night King and then not warn anyone who could do something about it? Then what?

- Why was Davos' first thought after all of that to confront Melisandre immediately? Blatantly just done so someone is there to witness her end.

A lot of these complaints are nit picky but onto the good stuff.

- Cinematically it was obviously spectacular, despite the lighting at times.

- Arya doing the deed will draw a lot of complaints and I see already has here, but if you consider the story as a whole, Arya and Jon are the only people who really have the attributes to see off the Night King. I mean, she spent two seasons training as a faceless assassin, when you think about it who else is better equipped to cut the head off the snake? I didn't see it coming as I thought it would be Jon or Dany but it's a satisfying culmination of her journey over the years. 

- Tyrion and Sansa were good together, I can buy it.

Overall I can't say that it was a bad episode, I was glued to the screen for the full 80 minutes, I just feel like there were too many death fake outs for main cast members who clearly had plot armor to burn after the first few skirmishes, too much suspension of disbelief, and not enough sense of real sacrifice to put it up there with Hardhome or the Battle of the Bastards which were properly great television.

I'd argue Brienne is no more a major character than Jorah or Greyworm. I think Jamie had to survive as the loyalty conflict he and Tyrion now face will play a major plot depth role going forwards.

I totally agree that Sam and Davos should both have died as their sustained survival within the battle environment is totally implausible. Davos was clearly in a safer spot than the women and children. He didn't even seem to have broken a sweat.

I think people are underappreciating Brans contribution. The producers of the show revealed in the "Behind the Episode" clip that the only way to kill the Night King was to drive a valerian steel blade into his chest in the exact spot that the Dragon glass had been inserted by the children of the forest, in the presence of the old gods under a weirwood tree. Bran knew this. Bran gave Arya that Valyrian steel dagger at the start of season 7. He knew the Night King wanted him and that coming South of the wall would bring him down on Westeros. He knew it had to happen. He knew exactly how everything would play out and who would kill him and he did everything he needed to do to make exactly that happen.

Like with Theon, he knew that if he'd done anything differently (like providing more info to Jon) it would not have brought them to the point that was needed turn bring him down. The only way the Night King would show up at the tree was if he thought he'd won.

So Jon was the Prince that was promised, who would lead the army in the fight against the dead, but he wasn't the one to kill him.

I still need at least 20 minutes of episode time for a battle debrief, and hungry for more backstory and understanding as to why Valyrian steel would do what Dragon fire would not,  but I'm good with what's gone down there. My only disappointment is that prophecy and ancient knowledge from the citadel and ancient scrolls did not play more of a roll in informing the group of the way to destroy the night King.

Two final points about the books...

1. The bran chapters will leave us so much better informed as to his thought processes

2. I suspect the major moment at the end of that episode will have a different protagonist in the books.

12 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Nothing will ever be attempted or even come close to the sheer scale & scope of that episode, 80+ minutes with barely any dialogue yet you couldn’t look away. In a league of its own I doubt it will ever be surpassed even in film. 

I’m sorry I’m not having some gripes I’ve seen on here & online, “best tv is another show” you’re on drugs there’s nothing even remotely close to the beast that is thrones, 1 in 7 on the planet watch it they reckon. To compare that to niche or relatively mainstream dramas is great but you’re dealing in 2-3 layers in things like breaking bad. GOT is weaving more multiple arch’s that have been foreshadowed 60 hours ago and it does it in jaw dropping fashion consistently, there’s been errors but fucking hell “I’m the one who knocks” or Dany setting fire to the Lannisters isn’t even a debate. It’s not even a serious conversation. 

“It’s too dark” fuck off it’s called the long night, (there’s a clue there) the night king brings a snow storm it’s been that way since the start, what did you expect from a night battle in a blizzard? If you couldn’t see it pause your fucking tv and adjust the settings you troglodytes! 

“Dragon glass just shatters them” yep we discovered that back at hardholme why do you think we all thought Jon would kill him with long claw? “Oh but it was cool then, I wanted more here” oh fuck off! It was always about getting him with valerian steel or dragon glass. 

“Not too many characters died”, we lost 6-7 at my count, 2 original characters that were in episode 1 and in Ed’s case episode 2 or 3. It outdid the red wedding in terms of credited cast deaths. We watched the entire Dothraki get wiped out (brilliant use of fire and lightning btw). 

I just think some people on here and in general have lost perspective and because the quality is so high have unrealistic expectations of a tv show now tbh.  That’s why it’s the best, people are whinging it “didn’t do this or that” because they expect that absolute peak of everything from it, but it’s arguably gone past lord of the fucking rings and that dominated the academy awards and it’s a ppv cable tv show.

There’s 3 episodes left I assume there’s more death to come and more twists & turns. We’ve probably watched 1milliom deaths now all in ffs. Nothing will reach these heights ever again in TV, just fucking enjoy it

It's not the best show ever imo. But absolutely unequivocally the grandest and most epic. Like the Lord of the Rings movies but  exponentially more.

Edited by Harry
  • Upvote 3