talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Game Of Thrones

football forum

43 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

People really hate this don't they. As a casual fan it's not really got to me too much, but does seem to quite lazy so far. 

It got dumber and dumber since the book material ended. But it was still decent until Season 7 I'd say... 

10 hours ago, Cicero said:

Cercei did nothing during the armistice meeting, so the possibility of 'having their guard down' is highly probable.

People acting genuinely shocked that Dany, Tyrion, and Varys didn't 'know better' when heading to Dragonstone, are downright nitpicking. 

Why didn't Robert Baratheon question that all of his legitimate children have blonde hair? Because his wifes entire family is blonde?

How did Khal Drogo, the greatest warrior of Essos, die of a small wound? Because 'being a great warrior' doesn't save you from infection or evil witch magic?

Why did Robb, who has won every major battle and had great character, allowed a woman he just met to have his guard down and completely forget about the war? It's different in the books, but even in the show, he doesn't 'forget about the war' He marries the lass he loves then appeals to the Freys for forgiveness and to renegotiate.

Why did Jaqen H'ghar, a master of manipulation, assassination, and disguise, get captured by low Lannister guards? Who said he did? He was being sent north from the kings dungeons from kings landing. It's entirely possible it was his easiest ride north, or that he needed to go to the wall for some reason. We don't know where he goes after he leaves Arya. Honestly the better question is why did he kick around harrenhall for so fucking long

Why didn't Stannis, the greatest naval commander in Westeros, lead the battle of Blackwater? He did. He just wasn't at the front because HES THE FUCKING KING

Why did Prince Oberyn, arguably the greatest fighter in Westeros, let his guard down and not finish off the Mountain? At no point is it ever suggested he's 'the greatest fighter in westeros' Ever. He's a dangerous boi, but also a heavy drinker and silly wanker. In the books it's very clear that Jaime, Selmy and the Hound are the greatest fighters in westeros, (at least with a sword) and in the books theres none of this fan ficcy bullshit where Briene beats Jaime or the Hound.

These are just a small handful of the numerous mistakes found in seasons 1-4. So to actually criticise a scene, that is entirely plausible, screams of nitpicking. xD

The main problem isn't 'why didn't she realise they were there' the main problem is how can't you see a fucking fleet that's about to open fire on your fucking dragons. Sure they were off screen for us, but they literally would have been just sitting there in Dannys view in reality. 

Edited by Devil-Dick Willie
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

The main problem isn't 'why didn't she realise they were there' the main problem is how can't you see a fucking fleet that's about to open fire on your fucking dragons. Sure they were off screen for us, but they literally would have been just sitting there in Dannys view in reality. 

Maybe because the fleet were behind a giant fucking rock? Were Dany and co supposed to expect a random surprise fleet behind that as well? Mad how you defend those scenarios I brought up, but can't completely grasp this explanation. xD

The criticism I agree with is that the season does feel rushed, which does a disservice to some elements. But when people are criticising fucking battle tactics and how these legendary thinkers would never be caught out, despite it happening over and over from season 1 to now, is embarrassing. 

Edited by Cicero

8 hours ago, Cicero said:

Maybe because the fleet were behind a giant fucking rock? Were Dany and co supposed to expect a random surprise fleet behind that as well? Mad how you defend those scenarios I brought up, but can't completely grasp this explanation. xD

The criticism I agree with is that the season does feel rushed, which does a disservice to some elements. But when people are criticising fucking battle tactics and how these legendary thinkers would never be caught out, despite it happening over and over from season 1 to now, is embarrassing. 

Here is a representation of how line of sight for things in the air work. THEY CAN SEE OVER THINGS ON THE GROUND. Also remember the GIANT FLEET that was 'hiding behind a rock' saw 2 sky predators before they saw them apparently. 

Not to mention the first 3 shots they take from a ship bobbing up and down on the ocean at a fast moving target at distance that they haven't ranged in are all hits. 

Because I have been away and the Mrs didn’t see it but I watched it on my tablet we rewatched episodes 4&5 and I have to say it makes a lot more sense watching 4 again after knowing what comes in 5. Cersei says too get me she’ll have to kill thousands smirking

15 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Here is a representation of how line of sight for things in the air work. THEY CAN SEE OVER THINGS ON THE GROUND. Also remember the GIANT FLEET that was 'hiding behind a rock' saw 2 sky predators before they saw them apparently. 

Not to mention the first 3 shots they take from a ship bobbing up and down on the ocean at a fast moving target at distance that they haven't ranged in are all hits.

The difference is that The Iron fleet were expecting them. Dany and her Dragons weren't expecting a giant fleet to be behind a giant rock not even in their line of sight.  Is that really so impossible to grasp as being a possibility? They were caught by surprise? 

This is a show with zombies and Dragons, and you want to question the physics behind a spear being shot from a ship bobbing up a down hitting a fast moving target? xD Come on mate. 

15 hours ago, Tommy said:

Gods help you Cicero. Now you are truly lost. 

I'm not allowed to like the season? There are true criticisms of the season, but that scene isn't one of them for me. 

I'll tell you one thing, if Arya ends up killing Dany, I will be on board to sign that petition for the sheer disservice they did to Jon this entire season. 

Edited by Cicero

On 16/05/2019 at 21:43, Batard said:
  Reveal hidden contents

If Bran ends up on the Throne :dam:

I almost hope he does. I've sat through 8 seasons of him being an utterly useless cunt and getting everyone killed. I'll be royally pissed off if that turns out to be for nothing.

On the other hand, it'd be really predictable for them to put him on the iron throne. If that wasn't their intention, why haven't they killed the weird gimp yet?

• Subscriber

How would Bran ever end up on the throne? The only person with any claim left after Jon and Dany would be Gendry. 

If Sansa or Bran end up on a throne of any description it will be as King/Queen of the North, and it will be Sansa.

I'll be very surprised if it's anything other than Jon being the reluctant King and rebuilding Westeros with the help of some key characters leading the major houses (Sansa and Tyrion that is. I'll be shocked if they can be arsed even addressing the multitude of empty major seats given how rushed things have been). 

Oh well, it will all be over in a few hours. After the last three episodes I'll be very surprised if they've managed to pull an ending out of their arses that results in anything other than a heavy slating from fans. If tonight's episode is amazing they might get some goodwill back but even if it's only very good I think the damage has been done in the last few weeks.

I'm not saying this season has been shit or even bad, it's still good television but it doesn't hold a candle to the other seasons.

5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Hide contents

How would Bran ever end up on the throne? The only person with any claim left after Jon and Dany would be Gendry. 

If Sansa or Bran end up on a throne of any description it will be as King/Queen of the North, and it will be Sansa.

I'll be very surprised if it's anything other than Jon being the reluctant King and rebuilding Westeros with the help of some key characters leading the major houses (Sansa and Tyrion that is. I'll be shocked if they can be arsed even addressing the multitude of empty major seats given how rushed things have been). 

Oh well, it will all be over in a few hours. After the last three episodes I'll be very surprised if they've managed to pull an ending out of their arses that results in anything other than a heavy slating from fans. If tonight's episode is amazing they might get some goodwill back but even if it's only very good I think the damage has been done in the last few weeks.

I'm not saying this season has been shit or even bad, it's still good television but it doesn't hold a candle to the other seasons.

I'm expecting an unexpected ending. So almost sure that none of Jon, Dany or Sansa on the throne.

My guess is either the wheel will be broken, via formation of a non monarchical structure or we'll be back where we started, Gendy Baratheon a reluctant and unprepared King or we'll be left with a vacuum and complete and total anarchy in which Bronn takes the throne as the only person with a sword both standing.

I'll be surprised if at least two of Arya, Jon and Dany don't die tonight.

That whole series was Game of Thrones series 5 onwards summed up, CGI, big production budgets and nothing exciting happening with the actual storyline.

How did that many key characters survive with all these battles? 😂

What did they do to Jon in that episode man? Why did they completely ignore Arya’s only skill and storyline? Why did they turn Brienne into a little bitch? Greyworm has the maddest sudden change turning into a “bad” character and then they just wrote him out in the laziest way.

This episode was such an anti-climax, as has this series been really. But it’s to be expected.

Is the new GoT spin off based on books?

Edited by Danny

Well that was shit. Things happened but in the most unsatisfying and confusing way possible. And how did Grey Worm get to the top of the stairs before Jon? And that ending? Fuck off. "Look here's this book called A Song Of Ice And Fire and the last few chapters are shit"... shut up. Borderline, breaking the 4th wall nonsense.

Edited by 6666

Thought Jon would be done for to be honest. Still trying to figure out why Drogon didn't burn him alive. Has to be a Targaryan thing. 

Nonetheless, a season that was blatantly rushed which accumulated plot holes and a disservice to certain characters, I thought the finale was very much satisfying. 

All of this ties down to the vision Dany had back in season 2 or 3, where she approaches the throne covered in snow, unable to touch it. 

Shame for Dany, as I was actually kind of gutted when Jon killed her. It's the one thing I expected to happen since season 7, yet it kind of hit me hard actually watching it. She was exactly like her father, and Jon's true identity is the main thing that led to her paranoia. Bran knew all along that a democracy was best for Westeros Not a bloodline rule, which ruled Jon out. He had to use Jon's identity to create the domino effect on Dany.  Thought it was pretty cheeky of Bran to send Jon back to the Nightswatch as payment for the Unsullied for murdering Dany, given that there isn't a Nightswatch. xD Jon didn't have the heart to rule and will always be looked at being the protector of the realm. Nothing better than seeing him reunite with Tormund and Ghost.  

Edited by Cicero

Firstly, they did a great job cementing Danys character transformation this episode in a way that made sense. I didn't get what happened last week but I did by the hallway point of this one. It's just like the Tarly's, necessary, and exactly the way the conquering targaryens did it. Not a mad queen at all, just an ambitious Targaryen in a world that had not yet been conquered. All of that was on point.

Tyrion throwing down the badge was finally a return to form. By the end of his chat with Jon I couldn't believe Jon still wasn't on board with what Tyrion was proposing, but Jon also returned to form doing the deed. Great acting in that scene. I then watched Drogon be very unpredictable. Pretty sure it was Bran warged into him doing a little bit of symbolism in burning down the iron throne.

I thought the council of families meeting was well done too. Greyworm seeking vengeance but at the same time he respects Tyrion and didn't want further bloodshed and was talked around 

Tyrions suggestion of bran is a good one, and builds nicely off the chat he had with bran in episode 2. Someone who has no thirst for power, will father no children and will live for a few hundred years is an excellent choice for a new era.

I don't really understand the point of the North going independent. Whether thats Sansa being true to her people or just wanting some opportunity to be a queen of something. I'm sure the North could get on board a kingdom in which a stark ruled the seven kingdoms, and independence is probably more a risk of future conflict when the next generation get ambitious. But the North are the descendants of the first men and always thought of themselves as a different people.

The small council meeting wasn't bad either. It was always known Sam would write the book as a chronicle of the age so that was good book fan service. And I chuckled at Bron's suggestion that the rebuild should prioritise the brothels.

All in all a bittersweet end seeing the true King and heir effectively sacrificed unjustly and sent to the wall but it is what it is.

The last major twist was there were no more twists. A relatively benign ending where you could really feel the weariness of everyone in sight.

The biggest issue for me was the shitty plot to rescue weight in season 7 and more recently the rushed character development of Dany and the shitty euron return on episode 5. Definitely I would change some aspects to make it less dramatic but more believable, but overall a much better rounded end than I was expecting. I'm definitely disappointed that we didn't see more substance to prophecies and ancient knowledge and more about the others. I think they left it for the fans to speculate but they were consistent in the way they did it. Will leave a lot of reason to read the books, where you get each chapter from one characters point of view and therefore won't be left wondering just how much bran really knew, and feeling Danny's turn to destroyer from inside her mind.

Hell of a story by GRRM. Bravo.

Edited by Harry
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Thought Jon would be done for to be honest. Still trying to figure out why Drogon didn't burn him alive. Has to be a Targaryan thing. 

Nonetheless, a season that was blatantly rushed which accumulated plot holes and a disservice to certain characters, I thought the finale was very much satisfying. 

Reveal hidden contents

Shame for Dany, as I was actually kind of gutted when Jon killed her. It's the one thing I expected to happen since season 7, yet it kind of hit me hard actually watching it. She was exactly like her father, and Jon's true identity is the main thing that led to her paranoia. Bran knew all along that a democracy was best for Westeros Not a bloodline rule, which ruled Jon out. He had to use Jon's identity to create the domino effect on Dany.  Thought it was pretty cheeky of Bran to send Jon back to the Nightswatch as payment for the Unsullied for murdering Dany, given that there isn't a Nightswatch. xD Jon didn't have the heart to rule and will always be looked at being the protector of the realm. Nothing better than seeing him reunite with Tormund and Ghost.  

First off, I thought this was going to be a 2 hour finale, so after 50 minutes and everything was done, I was slightly confused. 

I wasn't the biggest fan of this season, although I think people were too harsh IMO of it. The way that we have seen Cerci become so hated, and then how we all felt sad for her and Jaime before their deaths was great work, really. In this episode, it was touching to see Tyron follow the steps he gave Jamie, only to see he's brothers hand, and ultimately his and Cerci's bodies. Well done on that. 

Dany changed as well, which a little girl which an idiot for a brother, to a vigin getting married to a giant Dothraki, to becoming a freer of slaves, and to ultimately a blood thirsty ruler who was so blinded by her hate for Cerci, that she forgot herself.  Absolute opposite way that we felt about Cerci, as we were all somewhat glad (I suppose) when Jon finished her off. 

I will say that I had a feeling Bran would be ruler, so while it's great to be correct about that, I was hoping to be surprised. 

Was not a fan of Sam's speech about having a true democracy, and then everyone laughing at him. It felt...forced with how politics are nowadays. Didn't fit the scene and it really felt like it was put in there as a weird joke. 

I'm fine with how Greyworm left, and it makes sense. 

Fine with how they wrapped up Jon's, Arya's, and Sansa's story line. 4 relatives all with 4 separate paths in 4 vastly different areas. 

Overall, this season was probably a 6.5/10. I absolutely hated how quickly the Night King and Golden Company's were defeated....it honestly felt pointless to have them involved. Especially with the series starting with the Night Walkers, the way it ended was absolutely disappointing. Golden Company was just built up through season to really become so weak .

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

Hide contents

First off, I thought this was going to be a 2 hour finale, so after 50 minutes and everything was done, I was slightly confused. 

I wasn't the biggest fan of this season, although I think people were too harsh IMO of it. The way that we have seen Cerci become so hated, and then how we all felt sad for her and Jaime before their deaths was great work, really. In this episode, it was touching to see Tyron follow the steps he gave Jamie, only to see he's brothers hand, and ultimately his and Cerci's bodies. Well done on that. 

Dany changed as well, which a little girl which an idiot for a brother, to a vigin getting married to a giant Dothraki, to becoming a freer of slaves, and to ultimately a blood thirsty ruler who was so blinded by her hate for Cerci, that she forgot herself.  Absolute opposite way that we felt about Cerci, as we were all somewhat glad (I suppose) when Jon finished her off. 

I will say that I had a feeling Bran would be ruler, so while it's great to be correct about that, I was hoping to be surprised. 

Was not a fan of Sam's speech about having a true democracy, and then everyone laughing at him. It felt...forced with how politics are nowadays. Didn't fit the scene and it really felt like it was put in there as a weird joke. 

I'm fine with how Greyworm left, and it makes sense. 

Fine with how they wrapped up Jon's, Arya's, and Sansa's story line. 4 relatives all with 4 separate paths in 4 vastly different areas. 

Overall, this season was probably a 6.5/10. I absolutely hated how quickly the Night King and Golden Company's were defeated....it honestly felt pointless to have them involved. Especially with the series starting with the Night Walkers, the way it ended was absolutely disappointing. Golden Company was just built up through season to really become so weak .

Yeah think we got screwed they only wanted 6 episodes. 3 more seasons would of had everything tied in. The NightKing should of been more powerful and the Golden company shouln't of been a bunch of vaginas. 

That said, I still appreciate it for what they did with the episodes that were given. I'd say 7/10 for me. 

Edited by Cicero