talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Game Of Thrones

football forum

• 1 year later...
  • Subscriber

I'd love to see more stuff set in this world but they've got to be careful on the fan service that blighted the final two seasons because if they go too far with it the first spin off will flop and that'll be it. Stick to the story telling, politics and character development that made it great in the first place.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

I'm still salty about how the show ended. It all went downhill when they ran out of book material. Littlefinger is probably one of the most amazing series/book characters in existence, who got absoulutely massacred by an incompetent writing team. 

• Upvote 1

On 23/01/2021 at 08:46, Cicero said:

And don’t settle for only 6 episodes to fit everything in...

That was the stupidest idea with the final season - ruined the pacing of the show, they maybe could have cleaned up some of the shit writing if they had more time to tell the ending of the story.

Who's idea was it, HBOs?

51 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That was the stupidest idea with the final season - ruined the pacing of the show, they maybe could have cleaned up some of the shit writing if they had more time to tell the ending of the story.

Who's idea was it, HBOs?

D&D

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Decent teaser, was that Matt Smith? It looks good. I don't know what their plans are but there's a LOT of content from GRRM's own spin-off books and stuff so if the series is popular it could have legs for a few series if they want it to.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I wish I could be excited about House of the Dragon. But like everyone else I know who watched GOT I'm convinced it will be shit, as the show was once it went beyond grrm's source material.

I just watched Wheel of Time season 1 and will be much more excited for season 2 of that, because they're similarly awesome books, we know how the last one ends, and isnt shit.

, And

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I wish I could be excited about House of the Dragon. But like everyone else I know who watched GOT I'm convinced it will be shit, as the show was once it went beyond grrm's source material.

I just watched Wheel of Time season 1 and will be much more excited for season 2 of that, because they're similarly awesome books, we know how the last one ends, and isnt shit.

, And

GRRM is heavily involved in house of dragon. 

• Subscriber

I'm cautiously optimistic about it without expecting it to quite hit the heights of the Game of Thrones glory years.

It's a clean slate. The problems they had in the last couple of seasons of the main series were a result of them backing themselves into a corner by trying to tell the last section of the story in half as much time as they'd given themselves previously.

18 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm cautiously optimistic about it without expecting it to quite hit the heights of the Game of Thrones glory years.

It's a clean slate. The problems they had in the last couple of seasons of the main series were a result of them backing themselves into a corner by trying to tell the last section of the story in half as much time as they'd given themselves previously.

That was the key thing here. The story panned out to how GRRM wanted, but he essentially wanted 10 episodes + an additional season to fit it all together vs only 6 episodes...

On 04/04/2022 at 10:14, Cicero said:

GRRM is heavily involved in house of dragon. 

As he was in the last season's of the show, and was able to provide the key details around which the last season's were built.

I dunno. GRRM is dead to me. Not only for the show but for the profound writers block that's seen me waiting a decade for a book that I now think we won't see until after he's dead

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Harry said:

As he was in the last season's of the show, and was able to provide the key details around which the last season's were built.

I dunno. GRRM is dead to me. Not only for the show but for the profound writers block that's seen me waiting a decade for a book that I now think we won't see until after he's dead

It is mad how long it's been between books. He's doing so many other projects as well alongside it. I'm an eternal optimist but even I compromise at being hopeful we get The Winds of Winter before he kicks the bucket but simply can't see him finishing the last book. There are also question marks over whether two books will be enough to finish the rest of the story or whether he'll need another one! It must be hard for him though, the biggest project of his career and a story he's told over the course of decades, and he's had to see someone else tell the end of it for him on television (admittedly due to his own failure to produce the goods) and from what we know, they sort of butchered his idea of it too. It's clear he has a lot more passion at this point for some of his other projects, including this new series. Focusing on the positive, I do think it will be decent.

On 04/04/2022 at 00:12, Harry said:

, And

I found Wheel of Time to be a bit meh, started well and then just seemed to do whatever it wanted without much reason. Didn’t finish it

On 05/04/2022 at 23:24, Danny said:

I found Wheel of Time to be a bit meh, started well and then just seemed to do whatever it wanted without much reason. Didn’t finish it

I struggled with the first 3 episodes but it was ripping along in episodes 6-8 and left me wanting more.

The overall world and story arc in the wheel of time book series is absolutely fantastic. The books probably grabbed me more than Thrones tbh, though it has a few lean patches.

My main criticism of the show is not enough of the folk lore and world building came through in the early episodes.

On 05/04/2022 at 22:13, RandoEFC said:

It is mad how long it's been between books. He's doing so many other projects as well alongside it. I'm an eternal optimist but even I compromise at being hopeful we get The Winds of Winter before he kicks the bucket but simply can't see him finishing the last book. There are also question marks over whether two books will be enough to finish the rest of the story or whether he'll need another one! It must be hard for him though, the biggest project of his career and a story he's told over the course of decades, and he's had to see someone else tell the end of it for him on television (admittedly due to his own failure to produce the goods) and from what we know, they sort of butchered his idea of it too. It's clear he has a lot more passion at this point for some of his other projects, including this new series. Focusing on the positive, I do think it will be decent.

It's terrible. He's going off on all these tangents with side projects which distract him from the core mission. If he doesn't have the stones he should just hire a ghost writer to finish the books for him. Whoever he'd have wanted to be engaged post humously.

• 2 months later...