talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Game Of Thrones

football forum

1 minute ago, Viva la FCB said:

I mean thats all well and good but what does he do all alone up north for all this time then? camp out by himself and wait until hes called? meanwhile the undead army moves accross the whole plain not running into him. I dont know bit of a cop out to save him still in my opinion. At least theres some reason of an explanation anyways.

He was stabbed with Dragon glass when he traveled over the wall to prevent him from turning into the dead. He can no longer travel back to Westeros so he's made it his duty to kill as many Wrights as he can and answer to Bran, the three eyed Raven. 

20 hours ago, FOYM said:

An army of the dead lead by an ice king flying a dead dragon attacks a giant ice wall and you're concern is that the flame was blue?......okay.

Because it is so cliched and I saw it coming a mile away. It also reminds me of this.

Just because it is a fantasy show doesn't mean it doesn't have an internal logic. If suspension of disbelief is broken by something so mundane it just proves that the writers aren't that considerate. Same goes for any film in any genre. Everything fits together like a puzzle, that was a serious scene and I couldn't help but laugh at the idea of a frozen dragon zombie breathing blue fire (is it meant to be cold fire, or fire even hotter than the other dragons?). It stood out like a sore thumb, it'd be like Little Finger letting out a large fart before getting killed. GOT is a serious show, so I take it serious, if it were just a simple high fantasy action show  wouldn't care but this really does seem against the grain of the show's atmosphere.

IMG_0290.PNG

Edited by Spike

I watched Alien again last night and my eyes were literally glued to the screen. Nothing broke my belief and concentration, that is what that dragon scene did to me, it brought me out of the scene and made me realise how ludicrous it all is. Anythingnthat makes me second take or think 'hang on a sec...' is awful.

29 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Out of all the holes I dont see why the chains where the thing to pick on though. You dont think Bengen coming out of nowhere to sacrifice himself for Jon was a bigger wtf? or the fact that all of a sudden the undead have no problem in water and dive deep to hook up these chains and pull the dragon out? or how Gendry is secretly Usain Bolt covering distance they seemingly made look like a long journey in a matter of hours and with time to spare to send a raven to Dany with still time to mount up and save them. 

What was silly was using deus ex machina twice in ten minutes. The chains was just a stupid oversight, lazy writing. Having Danny arrive in perfect timing and then having Benjen arrive in perfect timing is just bad writing, it is forgivable but poor regardless. I've never liked the trope of deus ex machina as it usually comes of real hammy and I csn't actually give a good example of it.

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Cicero said:

He was stabbed with Dragon glass when he traveled over the wall to prevent him from turning into the dead. He can no longer travel back to Westeros so he's made it his duty to kill as many Wrights as he can and answer to Bran, the three eyed Raven. 

Was this something in the books or am i retarded? If its something in the books its sort of irrelevant as nothing is explained noone would assume this kind of an explanation that hasnt read them.

5 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Was this something in the books or am i retarded? If its something in the books its sort of irrelevant as nothing is explained noone would assume this kind of an explanation that hasnt read them.

Happened in the show.

He explained it to Bran and Meera. The children of the forest saved him from turning over by stabbing him with Dragon Glass. Also told Bran (when he saved them) that the three eyed Raven sent him. Bran told him the three eyed Raven died, to which Benjen replied 'You sent me'. Giving more indication that Bran (along with getting young Ned's Stark to hear him) that he can alter the past. 

Edited by Cicero
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Happened in the show.

He explained it to Bran and Meera. The children of the forest saved him from turning over by stabbing him with Dragon Glass. Also told Bran (when he saved them) that the three eyed Raven sent him. Bran told him the three eyed Raven died, to which Benjen replied 'You sent me'. Giving more indication that Bran (along with getting young Ned's Stark to hear him) that he can alter the past. 

That makes alot more sense. The good news i have a long time to start rewatching some of these seasons again.

1 hour ago, Viva la FCB said:

Out of all the holes I dont see why the chains where the thing to pick on though. You dont think Bengen coming out of nowhere to sacrifice himself for Jon was a bigger wtf? or the fact that all of a sudden the undead have no problem in water and dive deep to hook up these chains and pull the dragon out? or how Gendry is secretly Usain Bolt covering distance they seemingly made look like a long journey in a matter of hours and with time to spare to send a raven to Dany with still time to mount up and save them. 

My point was that there are plot holes but blue fire isn't one of them. 

On 31/08/2017 at 1:40 AM, Spike said:

I watched Alien again last night and my eyes were literally glued to the screen. Nothing broke my belief and concentration, that is what that dragon scene did to me, it brought me out of the scene and made me realise how ludicrous it all is. Anythingnthat makes me second take or think 'hang on a sec...' is awful.

To be honest mate i think it is a magic blue flame that is cold or neutral I  temperature. 

The wall was more magic than ice in the books. The undead Benjen could not pass across the wall because of the magic used to build it. There is a seal that prevented his kind crossing it. 

I suspect the ice dragon had an opposing kind of magic that undid what was done to make it. It will not melt bodies but turn them to ice or maybe even turn them directly into icy wights.

On 31/08/2017 at 1:43 AM, Spike said:

What was silly was using deus ex machina twice in ten minutes. The chains was just a stupid oversight, lazy writing. Having Danny arrive in perfect timing and then having Benjen arrive in perfect timing is just bad writing, it is forgivable but poor regardless. I've never liked the trope of deus ex machina as it usually comes of real hammy and I csn't actually give a good example of it.

What's deus ex machina? A computer game? 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

What's deus ex machina? A computer game? 

Yeah but It is also an ancient narrative device. What it essentially is: something or someone happens to conveniently aid/fumble the hero in a dire situation. Think about Wizard of Oz: the heroes are trapped by the witch, she catches on fire, there so happens to be a bucket of water... water is also the witch's weakness. What a stroke of luck!

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

To be honest mate i think it is a magic blue flame that is cold or neutral I  temperature. 

The wall was more magic than ice in the books. The undead Benjen could not pass across the wall because of the magic used to build it. There is a seal that prevented his kind crossing it. 

I suspect the ice dragon had an opposing kind of magic that undid what was done to make it. It will not melt bodies but turn them to ice or maybe even turn them directly into icy wights.

I was hoping it woukd just be an near impervious dragon that was immune to fire due to being a dragon and used it powerful strngth to wreck everything in close combat.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Spike said:

Yeah but It is also an ancient narrative device. What it essentially is: something or someone happens to conveniently aid/fumble the hero in a dire situation. Think about Wizard of Oz: the heroes are trapped by the witch, she catches on fire, there so happens to be a bucket of water... water is also the witch's weakness. What a stroke of luck!

I was hoping it woukd just be an near impervious dragon that was immune to fire due to being a dragon and used it powerful strngth to wreck everything in close combat.

Cheers. 

I felt certain the dragon would bring down the wall when they repeated those scenes from last week at the start of the episode. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Cheers. 

I felt certain the dragon would bring down the wall when they repeated those scenes from last week at the start of the episode. 

I was thinking that fire breathing was a biological function and since it was dead it coukd no longer breathe fire. I guess it is magical

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Spike said:

His death was so lame. :( 

His whole character was lame this season. Surely "one of the most dangerous men in Westeros" and one of the most intelligent characters of the entire show would have noped the fuck out of Winterfell after Bran hit him with that "Chaos is a ladder" line. But noooo, let's have him standing around in dark corners for the rest of the season. I still love the show, but it's a shame that they dumbed down Littlefinger and Varys and focused more on the popular characters instead. The thrill that any big character could die anytime, like in the first seasons, has completely vanished. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

His whole character was lame this season. Surely "one of the most dangerous men in Westeros" and one of the most intelligent characters of the entire show would have noped the fuck out of Winterfell after Bran hit him with that "Chaos is a ladder" line. But noooo, let's have him standing around in dark corners for the rest of the season. I still love the show, but it's a shame that they dumbed down Littlefinger and Varys and focused more on the popular characters instead. The thrill that any big character could die anytime, like in the first seasons, has completely vanished. 

This rings true on a few levels. It's a shame that people like Varys, Grey Worm, Podrick are barely even characters anymore but needs must after they gave themselves 7 episodes instead of 10 (which I still don't really understand) to advance the plot.

Also agree on the ridiculous amount of plot armour this season. Littlefingers number was up but the amount of unconvincing death fake outs this season were lame. Jaime not drowning, Bronn not drowning, Jon, you guessed it, not drowning. Not to mention dragon ex machina and Benjen ex machina joining Jon's list of death fake outs to go with his actual death, his "got hit by three arrows by Ygritte" fake out death, his "fell off while climbing the wall" fake out death, his two Battle of the Bastards deaths (One where he faces down the horses, one where he gets trampled under his own men) which were eventually prevented by Sansa and the Knights of the Vale ex machina. Needless to say if the Night King hits Jon with one of his javelins and clearly slices him up into little pieces and feeds him to the undead dragon I'll still believe he somehow survives.

Overall i enjoyed the season but found it particularly frustrating in terms of plot writing.

Some amazing dialog  between characters but for me there were many things getting insufficient screen time and then elsewhere screen time is being wasted by pointless little loops that take extra time but add nothing to the story. 

Like Jon needlessly falling into the ice and then being rescued and back at the wall 5 minutes later. Why bother? Meanwhile key scenes don't even include the entire conversations like how tyrion actually persuaded Jamie to listen in their first meeting at kings landing. 

Edited by Harry

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Tsubasa said:

Throwback to the good old times when the two masters of the Game were not yet ruined by the writers! 

Brilliant scene! 

In  what way were they ruined?

Littlefinger can't scheme his way past the three eyed raven and all Vary's cares for is the greater good of the realm? Hence him siding with Dany.