talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Game Of Thrones

football forum

• Subscriber

The whole battle scene at the end was rushed and choppy. Hard to follow and they just tried to make Euron the ultimate badass too hard. Killing the snake girls whatever, although ill miss the random nudity from that one cutey. The opening with the draw bridge crushing a guy and him jumping in was a tad much. Other then that i thought the episode was good, the scene transition from ripping off Jora's greyscale to the soup kind of felt like a Guy Ritchie type transition, same with the poop cleaning scenes from the first episode; kind of funny but weird to be in game of thrones. 

Above all im all for Missandei getting naked, shes gorgeous and should do this more often but that was one awkward scene holy hell. 

.......SPOILER ALERT......

Good episode?  Good writing?  You're kidding me. The rise of cersei is the most unplausible plot line in the show to date. The afterthought that is the ironborn are now all powerful?  Randall Tarly sides with cersei despite her blowing up his Lords entire family? Wiping the floor with tyrion tactically?  I really hope GRRM comes up with something better than this when he finally finishes the books...

Bran... initially i thought he might actually do something this episode....  but wait... no.... just a weird sick bastard proving his all seeing knowledge to Sansa by recounting the day of her wedding night to ramsay. 

Jon Snow and Daenyrys meeting was pretty pointless too for all the hype. Can't believe Jon Snow is so stupid and tactless in trying to get an all important leader to listen to his cause when the stakes are so high. Maybe don't open with "the dead men are coming to kill us all" if uit want to be taken seriously.

The outcomes are typically frustrating for the show but every week they are more and more at odds with the reality of westeros they had painted prior to that point. 

Edited by Harry
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

SpoilersSpoilersSpoilersSpoilersSpoilersSpoilersSpoilersSpoilersSpoilersSpoilers

Sadly, I have to agree at least partially with @Harry on this. I'm trying to ignore stuff that seems unrealistic compared to previous years, such as Euron's omniscience and the fact that the people of King's Landing suddenly seem to worship Cersei and her squad forgetting how she was marched through the streets naked, she blew up the Sept of Baelor, she has no heir, no claim to the throne and she's now making no effort to cover up her incestuous relationship with her brother. If you pick away at these things you just won't enjoy what's a great show and a great story but some things from this mostly good season so far are making it hard.

There were loads of good scenes in this one, good dialogue between Jon/Dany/Tyrion/Davos, between Olenna and Jaime, between Jorah and Sam, not so much between Bran and Sansa, but I do have some issues.

The way Daenerys and Tyrion are getting absolutely schooled by Cersei and Euron is bullshit. Game of Thrones used to be that the good guys wouldn't just win unrealistically, but between some of Ramsay's omnipotence in the last couple of years and the way this season has gone, they just seem to have made it now that the bad guys will win regardless of what makes sense in the story. How the Lannisters have that many men left after being constantly at war for years makes no sense, but what's worse is Euron. I could accept his victory over Yara and co. last week, but how did his fleet arrive like one hour after the Unsullied to Casterly Rock when, since the Unsullied set off from Dragonstone, Euron has been from King's Landing, to wherever Yara's fleet was, back to King's Landing, then all the way round to Casterly Rock.

Also, why the hell was Olenna back at Highgarden?

The other thing that bothered me mainly was Bran being all weird with Sansa. I get that he would be scarred and everything by seeing all the past and what's happened to his family and the white walkers and stuff, but he acted normal when he met Benjen so why is he so creepy now and why did he bring up Sansa getting raped to prove that he has seen everything, surely there are less PTSD-inducing ways to secure her trust. The preview for next week showed Brienne swinging a sword at Winterfell so hopefully Bran redeems himself by revealing to Sansa Littlefinger's role in Ned's downfall so that Baelish, who has become an annoying background character with no real power somehow, can finally be dismissed.

Not moaning about the whole thing though, I really enjoyed the scenes on Dragonstone even if Daenerys got a bit preachy and Sam's story so far at the Citadel is a highlight, Jim Broadbent has been great as the Archmaester too.

• Upvote 2

Jon practically giving Dany the finger when she asks him to bend the knee was the best part for me, as well as the entire opening scene. 

Didn't find too much wrong with the episode, people tend to forget the people of kings landing are living there in fear, not out of love for Cersei. 

Agreed on Bran though. Very awkward moment and I was hoping he would reveal to Sansa Jon's true identity. But I suppose that should be left for an episode on its own. 

Honestly confused now on who murdered Joffrey. If I remembered correctly, Baelish, Varys, and now Olenna are saying they were the ones that poisoned him? 

Edited by Cicero

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Jon practically giving Dany the finger when she asks him to bend the knee was the best part for me, as well as the entire opening scene. 

Didn't find too much wrong with the episode, people tend to forget the people of kings landing are living there in fear, not out of love for Cersei. 

Agreed on Bran though. Very awkward moment and I was hoping he would reveal to Sansa Jon's true identity. But I suppose that should be left for an episode on its own. 

Honestly confused now on who murdered Joffrey. If I remembered correctly, Baelish, Varys, and now Olenna are saying they were the ones that poisoned him? 

I don't remember Varys saying that. It definitely wasn't him. Baelish got the drunk fool Ser Dontos to give Sansa a hairnet to Joff's wedding but one of the jewels in it was deadly poison. Olenna removed it from the hairnet when she played with Sansa's hair and plopped it in Joffrey's wine when nobody was looking. Baelish also encouraged Joffrey to hire the dwarves dressed up as the five kings to make it look more likely that Tyrion would have done it. Varys wasn't involved. 

• Like 1

Cheers. 

Everything is being played down where I can't think of what could possibly happen next. The twist are what I'm most excited for. 

I still back my prediction that one of Jon or Dany will die, and Bran is the lord of the light. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Harry said:

did anyone have any thoughts on why Melissandre and Varys both have to die in Westeros?

Im wonderiong if it was something to do with Melissandre and her old woman reflections that happend before something to do with her keeping on living? and maybe Varys is similar. 

@Harry I can understand your strong opinion, you being a book fan. Personally though I am loving the fast pace.

1 hour ago, Viva la FCB said:

Im wonderiong if it was something to do with Melissandre and her old woman reflections that happend before something to do with her keeping on living? and maybe Varys is similar

or Melissandre could be the one who chopped his wee wee. Just throwing arrows in the dark here

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

or Melissandre could be the one who chopped his wee wee. Just throwing arrows in the dark here

OOOh i like this. Now that i think of it when Varys was recounting the story he did say the old man said he saw something in the fire that made him do it or something along those lines. 

13 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

OOOh i like this. Now that i think of it when Varys was recounting the story he did say the old man said he saw something in the fire that made him do it or something along those lines. 

Vary's losing his penis played a part in the grand scheme of things? 

As a book fan I'm liking it, I find Cersei proving a devious operator in war entirely plausible considering she killed firstly her husband then the protector of the realm and placed her son on the thrones in s1 just to kick off. I could go on and on the Tyrels, Baratheon, Martels and Starks have all been seen off but at this point if you find Cersei being a worthy adversary implausible I'd question what show you've been watching? 

I like Euron they've basically merged him with Victarian which makes him so much more likeable and crazy. The demise of house Martell and Tyrell has really changed the dynamic especially as house Tarly is now the main house and wardens of the South (it's why he's betrayed Olena) we're down to a few houses now, it's getting good. 

14 hours ago, Harry said:

.......SPOILER ALERT......

Good episode?  Good writing?  You're kidding me. The rise of cersei is the most unplausible plot line in the show to date. The afterthought that is the ironborn are now all powerful?  Randall Tarly sides with cersei despite her blowing up his Lords entire family? Wiping the floor with tyrion tactically?  I really hope GRRM comes up with something better than this when he finally finishes the books...

Bran... initially i thought he might actually do something this episode....  but wait... no.... just a weird sick bastard proving his all seeing knowledge to Sansa by recounting the day of her wedding night to ramsay. 

Jon Snow and Daenyrys meeting was pretty pointless too for all the hype. Can't believe Jon Snow is so stupid and tactless in trying to get an all important leader to listen to his cause when the stakes are so high. Maybe don't open with "the dead men are coming to kill us all" if uit want to be taken seriously.

The outcomes are typically frustrating for the show but every week they are more and more at odds with the reality of westeros they had painted prior to that point. 

Jamie Lannister becomes something of a tactical genius in the books. It's displayed when he retakes riverrun. She also has Tarly, who is a life long solider, and Euron, who IS the best ship captain in the world on her side, so I am not at all surprised their navy has twice been rekt and Jamies vanguard decoy.

3 hours ago, Tanksie said:

Jamie Lannister becomes something of a tactical genius in the books. It's displayed when he retakes riverrun. She also has Tarly, who is a life long solider, and Euron, who IS the best ship captain in the world on her side, so I am not at all surprised their navy has twice been rekt and Jamies vanguard decoy.

There's a talk by Jamie at the end with Lady Olena about using the tactic Robb used on him at whispering wood. It's literally explained there and then in the episode. 

I get the feeling that a few people just want to appear hard to please now by running it down and saying it's not as good now it's off Martin's dialogue. I think in areas they've made improvements, In others not so much. It still dicks on another to show from a very great height however 

17 hours ago, Cicero said:

It was Baelish and Olenna together who planned it and planned to help sansa to escape. In the books the poison was in a stone Sansa wore in her hair and Olenna took it from her hair and put it in the drink.

Margaery may also have been in on it. 

Unsure whether there were two separate plots and whether the Tyrrels wanted Sansa to take the fall for it but baelish got her out of there....

6 hours ago, Tanksie said:

Is that where Riverrun is under siege by the Freys and Jamie convinces the blackfish/edmuir to give up the castle? Not sure that's genius but fair point that he's more considered as less temperamental as time wears on. 

13 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

As a book fan I'm liking it, I find Cersei proving a devious operator in war entirely plausible considering she killed firstly her husband then the protector of the realm and placed her son on the thrones in s1 just to kick off. I could go on and on the Tyrels, Baratheon, Martels and Starks have all been seen off but at this point if you find Cersei being a worthy adversary implausible I'd question what show you've been watching? 

I like Euron they've basically merged him with Victarian which makes him so much more likeable and crazy. The demise of house Martell and Tyrell has really changed the dynamic especially as house Tarly is now the main house and wardens of the South (it's why he's betrayed Olena) we're down to a few houses now, it's getting good. 

She is very clearly portrayed as a novice player in the books. Almost pitied by most players such is her predictability. I.e. tyrion, baelish and varys.

Good example being the near catastrophic error of judgement to arm the faith in kings landing in book 4.  Or her determination to take down their main ally in the tyrells creating an unnecessary war that ultimately destroyed her legacy and leaves the throne without an heir.

Edited by Harry